It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

School Board Decides Valedictorian Title Too Competitive

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2016 @ 12:06 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

You had me thinking for awhile about what you said earlier about the other kids like you and I the ones that are artists. School does not usually reinforce this as a viable career farther then generic art classes (in my experience although I have had great art class teachers in grade school)

The competition in the arts is one of the most fierce and competitive fields where as no one can be the best and those dedicated are again fiercely competing with themselves and each others. Thanks for making a post that made me really think about this.

posted on May, 22 2016 @ 12:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Brotherman

The arts are in fact the most competitive and least likely to safely succeed is that what your saying?

posted on May, 22 2016 @ 12:17 PM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

I am not saying they are the most competitive but depending on what art you are into it is highly competitive. And there is no real safety in regards to success, in order to have that you have to fail.

posted on May, 22 2016 @ 02:25 PM
link   

The arts and athletics are two areas where you have a very hard time actually making a career out of your talent.

Yes, there are a lot of graphic artists and architects and they us elements of creativity, but they aren't artists in the way we mainly think of them. Very few are going to go into fields where they are being hired for their own artistic talents and put in positions to create for the sake of creation.

Athletics works the same.

posted on May, 22 2016 @ 02:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Deaf Alien

I get that there's a lot of spin in the press,from all sides,but if something can be ascertained as a true fact,it does not matter to me whether the info comes from the left or the right.

posted on May, 22 2016 @ 03:06 PM
link   

I would say that lack of competition,lack of motivation to drive yourself,or for teams/nations even,to drive themselves to the highest points of excellence and performance they can achieve in any given field,would lead to apathy and mediocrity.

About alien civilisations-i do not think you get to advance too far without applying common sense. So my guess would be-if they are not uniformly equal in abilities,their leaders and supervisors too would see to it, that the best being for the job gets the job,so that the job could be done as efficiently and to the highest standards of excellence possible.

I mean,if they had that "you're a winner just for pitching up at work/education hub/whatever"..it would be a comedy of errors,and a bit Monty Python-ish. Imagine 200 beings who are better suited to cleaning the warp drive thingamajig, trying to fix the quantum flux thingamajig. It would be like 200 donkeys trying to suck the same doorknob,you know?

If civilisations are advanced,wise and sensible enough for interstellar/interdimensional travel-you can bet the farm they didn't get there by being emotionally and socially manipulated into giving the most advanced jobs to the village idiots,or to individuals who are not stupid-but never bothered to excel to the limits of their abilities-because what's the point? Zog and Zaxu gets the same recognition and points just for pitching up-even though they cannot name Any of the 17 moons of their planet Xoxus.
edit on 22-5-2016 by Raxoxane because: spelling

edit on 22-5-2016 by Raxoxane because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2016 @ 06:04 PM
link   
The obvious solution is too get rid of GPA and just give everyone a diploma after they have completed 4 years of college.

posted on May, 22 2016 @ 08:18 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Shades of Harrison Bergeron?

Apparently, being intelligent is now a bad thing? Wow.....

edit on 22-5-2016 by LadyGreenEyes because: typo

posted on May, 23 2016 @ 11:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: Brotherman
a reply to: introvert

I wasn't aware retards in a school board can see the future, who would have thought that? The fact is, is that there are not even enough jobs in America to support all of those people needing work, more people then job availability, it means # is super competitive now and only going to get worse. Soon their high school burger flipping days filled by work release inmates is going the way of the dodo too sooooo...

Did you read the article? The argument was that students were settling for mediocrity by taking easier classes in order to be top in their class rather than taking more useful and more challenging classes.

Are you arguing that students should continue to avoid the tougher classes because there aren't enough skilled jobs out there?

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join