It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Life has a vision...

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2016 @ 11:31 AM
link   
a reply to: corvuscorrax
Something just JUMPED at me autism. Honey I don't understand your life, I never will. BUT I understand where you are coming from. Your words sound so much like my brother's before he passed away.

He always felt like he was trapped in a world that was foreign to him. And all because of one word: Autism. Because he had "functional" (I hate that word) autism, he fell through the cracks. Lost in a world that has no idea what he sees and feels.

I have another brother, though still VERY young, who is starting the same struggle. Maybe we can help each other.

With Jason I never knew exactly how to see his world. Music was our only connection. With, Zim, I have found his love of cameras to be our bridge.

BUT, maybe YOU know how to bridge the gap!!! Sorry I don't mean to lay this on you BUT maybe we could help each other?????

*I also sent you a U2U message
edit on 5/23/2016 by Martin75 because: Building ATS bridges

posted on May, 23 2016 @ 11:44 AM
link   
a reply to: Martin75

I'd be willing to offer what insight I can.

What do you need help with?

posted on May, 23 2016 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Thank you!!!!!
Let's start with simple...How can I reach out without overwhelming him? This is the thing I find happens the most. I am so excited but my excitement overwhelms him. I don't want to push him away as I'm trying to reach out....

edit on 5/23/2016 by Martin75 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2016 @ 12:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Martin75

That's a hard question to answer. Typically you want to approach in an area he's comfortable (home) and as you were saying find out what his preferred hobby is. For me it has been video games and books.

Despite all this there is no guarantee he wont become overwhelmed. I've been approached by family members asking about my struggles and what they could do to help and never manifested into actual help due to my unwillingness to try the things they suggest. This also comes down to if he wants help at all in the first place.

The nature of autism is such that it can be so very difficult to communicate with them in a way that resonates. I'm on the 'high-functioning' end of things too. I can fake mostly normal social interaction most of the time but it is very draining and observant people would easily pickup on my odd body language (lack of eye contact, fidgety hands/feet)

Even as I think about your query I find myself not being able to give a good answer on how I would recommend someone to approach me let alone someone else with different issues.

How young is this person?

posted on May, 23 2016 @ 01:09 PM
link   
Zimmy is VERY young, about to turn 11.

Yes I understand exactly when you talk about your hands and eyes.

One thing I have found that helps (or at least I think) is to sit beside him and NOT talk AT him. I usually try to occupy myself with something and just wait on him to answer. He has boxes and boxes of cameras. Old, new, disposables you name it he has them. I will just piddle in the box until he talks. I feel like it is giving him space but I don't know....

Me & Zim

posted on May, 23 2016 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Sounds to me you're doing the best you can with him. I have very little wisdom to offer beyond that unfortunately.

Being the way I am I have difficulty relating to people on an emotional level, which results in a hard time interacting with women and children. Also probably has a lot to do with my preference for cats and a bit of a distaste for the eternal optimism of dogs.

Hopefully your boy Zim will find a niche as he nears adulthood. I definitely wouldn't want anyone to end up like I did.

posted on May, 23 2016 @ 01:36 PM
link   

I feel you and Martin75 have helped each other! Your an amazing person!

posted on May, 23 2016 @ 01:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Quantum12

Yes thank you.

Even talking about my issues provides some comfort. I have a lot to be grateful for despite my unique brand of suffering.

posted on May, 23 2016 @ 01:43 PM
link   

You have helped me too in a big way, I have a friend who has autism. I can understand him better now because of you. I kindly thank you!

posted on May, 23 2016 @ 01:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Quantum12

Autism is such a blanket diagnoses in many ways. I was diagnosed after a suicide attempt a few years ago and even after I was officially labeled as autistic they recommended I go to the state university to get further tests done and was even offered vocational rehab.

All of which I declined. We have a tendency to push help away when offered unless it's very specific help that aligns with our often mercurial comfort zone and wants.

posted on May, 23 2016 @ 01:54 PM
link   

I understand why you would decline help. You seem like a highly intelligent person. You writing has a depth!

posted on May, 23 2016 @ 05:24 PM
link   
Thank you soooo much for taking the time to answer my questions.

[I lost Jason to a car wreck when he was 19.] It was so painful to watch him struggle through life. He was not diagnosed until he was MUCH older (and had been expelled from school). Most of his life he was treated like he wasn't trying hard enough or was purposefully trying to be a "difficult" person.

Zim never got to meet Jason but Jason has helped him in a thousand ways. First, we knew what to look for. So he wasn't fighting the battle on his own. Second, Jason was beginning to teach us. So Zim isn't totally doing this alone.

The other credit goes to Philadelphia school system. Twice a week a counselor has "play dates" with other children in the area who she thinks will relate well. This way Zimmy has a social circle that most kids in special circumstances don't have.

Don't ever let me overwhelm you. The good thing about the internet is, you can step away and everything will be right here waiting.

<< 1   >>

join