It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Portland schools ban textbooks that question climate change

page: 9
<< 6  7  8   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2016 @ 07:25 AM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

What's to debate. What Fox News isn't telling you is that Regardless how many republicans want to save their corporate cronies from losing a little profit, it snowed this year in May and I'm still using my heater on the way to work. There's no denying climate change.

posted on May, 23 2016 @ 11:38 AM
link   
Umm sounds like you're an idiot. Textbooks denying climate change have no business in our schools. Would we teach our kids that the world is flat too?

posted on May, 23 2016 @ 12:06 PM
link   
I don't there are actually books being banned and this topic is a bit of spin, but if there were theoretically books denying climate change, I'd want them banned for the same reasons I'd want health textbooks banned if they suggested that sodium hydroxide eye drops were good for your vision.

posted on May, 23 2016 @ 01:44 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

LOL oh man. Would we approve of our children reading textbooks saying the world is flat?

The stupidity across ATS has been painful since this election started. Want to get into conspiracies? How about the stupidity that has perpetuated on this site since the election cycle started is due to some well paid trolls working for a variety of campaigns (this has already been proven).

Please keep your stupidity to Fox News & Nascar boards you sound insane.

posted on May, 24 2016 @ 12:40 AM
link   
a reply to: Invicid

I'd like to see textbooks teaching that the world isn't actually a perfect sphere, though. (Some seem to imply it.)

There's a 92% chance as far as I'm concerned that at least one of the members is a Hillary shill. Still, it's usually quite obvious.
edit on 24/5/2016 by Eilasvaleleyn because: Reasons

posted on May, 24 2016 @ 09:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
In the 70's, if they had done this, a whole generation would have been taught that the Earth was going to be in another ice age.

So many here are under the impression that the science is settled. That we shouldn't question convention, that we shouldn't think outside the box.

We are teaching children to obey. We aren't teaching them to question.

That is a fallacy every generation makes! Every generation thinks it has "figured science out" pretty much and gets shown over and over again they're wrong for hundreds of years. Yet this generation really has "figured science out" and heck! If they destroy all dissent and free thought, science might actually not move forward proving them "right". SMH.
edit on 24-5-2016 by LordDraconia because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2016 @ 10:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
a reply to: Wardaddy454

Ok.
Show me how many scientists in the 70s claimed a concern about global cooling (never mind an "ice age").
Then show me how many scientists in the 70s were concerned about warming caused by CO2.

Use any means at your disposal.

Dude. It only takes like 5 seconds. www.skepticalscience.com... That's also what they thought in the '30s I'm pretty sure. Do you even science bro?
And even that article which takes your side is drivel. The 97% study has been debunked as BS. The Climate Change people are can't keep their lies straight. www.wsj.com... I guess maybe the WSJ is just right wing conspiracy though ehh?

edit on 24-5-2016 by LordDraconia because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2016 @ 10:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: amazing
in reference to the global cooling conspiracy.

In 1977, a popular book on the topic was published, called The Weather Conspiracy: The Coming of the New Ice Age. There were also a US TV show narrated by Leonard Nimoy in the 1977 In Search of... (TV series), episode 27, season 2, titled, "The Coming Ice Age: An inquiry into whether the dramatic weather changes in America's northern states mean that a new ice age is approaching. There was also a popular short science fiction story...I forget the name but I believe it was by Isaac asimov or at least in one of his science fiction story anthologies by another author. In general there were only a couple of studies maybe 2 and a handful of scientists, like maybe 6-12 that held this theory of global cooling.

compare that to today were there are thousands of scientists and just on NaSA's website there is a listing of over 200 scientific organizations that hold the theory that there IS man made global warming.

The question is always the same are all of those 200 organizations and the thousands of people the work for them in on a giant conspiracy bigger than any other conspiracy the earth has ever known? Occam's razor would tell us no...it's improbably. Spock (the above mentioned Leonord Nimoy's character) would tell us that this probability would be highly illogical and unlikely.

It's way subtler then a conspiracy. It's just human foibles. It's called confirmation bias and has destroyed forensics. The only people who can get funding to do climate work are the people who are going to give favorable results. This is not just a problem with Climate Science but many sciences are becoming dogmatic like a priesthood. They are the ones who tell us what to think now. It's no longer about theory. Their word is law! We need to hurry up and put the got dang AIs in charge of these big decisions because both sides are too entrenched to see clearly any more. Let Watson the IBM Jeopardy Champ Beating AI figure it out. Watson 2016.

posted on May, 24 2016 @ 10:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80
a reply to: neo96

Is there no wind at night?

Wind isn't intermittent? We have the tech to store the energy? News to me buddy.

top topics

<< 6  7  8   >>

join