It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Portland schools ban textbooks that question climate change

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2016 @ 02:19 AM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

From what I remember at school its often the kids that know something iid being shut down or banned that makes it get the most attention. Perhaps this might not work.

If you thought schools were there to educate and then let your child make ump its own mind as maturity sets in with the powers of reasonable deduction - you were clearly mistaken. Schools and universities etc are purely there for propaganda purposes and in today's climate and low level qualifications. Studying is really down to the individual to delve deeper in many subjects as well as the technical ones.

posted on May, 21 2016 @ 02:35 AM
link   
a reply to: Shiloh7

The kids wanted the books with cuss words and ones that talked about sex, not textbooks.

posted on May, 21 2016 @ 02:37 AM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80
Yeah. Candy was awesome.

These kids today, with the internet and stuff. Way too easy.

posted on May, 21 2016 @ 02:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
Portland schools ban textbooks that question climate change

Sounds like a proactive case of "deny ignorance", to me.
All textbooks should be critically updated, often!

posted on May, 21 2016 @ 03:15 AM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

They can get those from any cheap mag shop.

posted on May, 21 2016 @ 05:39 AM
link   
I'm not saying any schoolbooks should be banned,but i also don't need a book to tell me that there has been some climate change.Well in the region where i live anyway.We can see it for ourselves.

posted on May, 21 2016 @ 08:21 AM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

Makes sense to teach children the importance of questioning their government. There's way too much time spent on less important things such as science and math. Instill fear right from the get go. We can have a whole generation of people who constantly post on ATS to talk about their hatred of liberals, the unimportance of their 140+ IQ, and six figure income. Awesome!!!!!!

posted on May, 21 2016 @ 08:37 AM
link   
a reply to: syrinx high priest

There is no debate on climate change. It is solidified science and should be taught alongside the cell cycle or thermodynamics. It's actually a great way to teach young people that all their actions have a greater impact upon the world. It makes people think on different levels. The rest of these people should be left behind.

posted on May, 21 2016 @ 12:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

originally posted by: DBCowboy
a reply to: Phage

I can buy anything I want, for the right price.

So you're ok with book banning?

Let me rephrase that. I'm pretty sure you can legally buy those books if you want to.

I am in favor of actual science being taught in school.

Let us know when that has ever happened.

posted on May, 21 2016 @ 12:59 PM
link   
a reply to: ParasuvO

Well, I know for certain that it happened in the 60s, from personal experience.

My daughter attends private school and her curriculum seems quite solid. From what I've seen the public schools in my area have a fairly strong STEM program, though they are underfunded. Really cool robotic competition every year.

edit on 5/21/2016 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2016 @ 01:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
a reply to: Gothmog

Why teach things that are not supported by science?

Why support science that teaches things that are not supported by ACTUAL science ?

You know, I am at the stage where I realize that you just cant fix stupid.

And stupid, is the best definition for those that believe actual science is a thing, that is incorruptible and only does the best that it can.

You need an adjustment in reality, one that allows you to see just how a 0.0001 percent of WRONGNESS, affects the entire outcome.

SCIENCE, is no better than religion in far too many topics, just close enough that you feel you can believe it.

posted on May, 21 2016 @ 01:03 PM
link   

You know more than just climate change is taught right? What over non science do you feel is being taught?

posted on May, 21 2016 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Ok. Let's substitute basket making for STEM. That would be awesome.
Let the rest of world actually learn something.

edit on 5/21/2016 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2016 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Why support science that teaches things that are not supported by ACTUAL science ?

Anthropogenic Climate Change is supported by science.

You know, I am at the stage where I realize that you just cant fix stupid. And stupid, is the best definition for those that believe actual science is a thing, that is incorruptible and only does the best that it can.

No one said scientists are incorruptable. We've seen many examples. That idiot that got his medical license revoked for being an anti-vaxx profiteer, scientists that get paid by oil companies to tell them what they want to hear, and others. But that doesn't mean SCIENCE is corruptible. Science is a method of gathering information, arranging said information in coherent ways, and hopefully getting something useful out of it.

Omitting steps in the method in order to get results you want is not science. Falsifying results isn't science. Each and every time it happens real science steps up to shine light on it. That's why there's a peer review process.

You need an adjustment in reality, one that allows you to see just how a 0.0001 percent of WRONGNESS, affects the entire outcome.

Being wrong is a built in feature of science. Interesting that.

SCIENCE, is no better than religion in far too many topics, just close enough that you feel you can believe it.

That's a ridiculous argument. Religion is interpreted texts that never change. It demands absolution and unwavering belief.

Science, however, has right and wrong answers. The problem here is that YOU don't want to be wrong so you dismiss scientific method as "no better than religion" in a fallacious attempt at solidifying a demonstrably false narrative.

posted on May, 21 2016 @ 03:17 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

As common sense should show us all, climate change is just a taxable lie created by the government. With that in mind, is would bode well to destroy the younger generations ability to challenge this with common sense by tampering with their text books and is just another example of the powers that be, changing history to effect the future of our generations to not know what was before.

It is sickening to see them behave like this, however for me not surprising. If, I had my own children I would do my dam hardest to keep my kids home schooled. This is the reason they fine parents in certain countries because they want them to send their children to school to be hypnotised.

posted on May, 21 2016 @ 03:23 PM
link   
a reply to: BlackProject

As common sense should show us all, climate change is just a taxable lie created by the government.

Doesn't that depend on what the tax is spend on, i know what my country is spending our collected carbon tax on, do you know what your country is spending on?

posted on May, 21 2016 @ 03:56 PM
link   
a reply to: BlackProject

As common sense should show us all, climate change is just a taxable lie created by the government.

What about all the independent studies?

Even studies funded by political players like the Koch Bros. netted the same result as those performed by public and private research. If it were a lie created by the government scientists the world over would have figured it out by now. Unless you're trying to convince me that the vast majority of the worlds climate scientists are all bought and paid for by the US Government? All of them part of the conspiracy?

I know full well that the US Government has done next to NOTHING about this issue. Nor should they because all the government has the power to do is tax and spend. That's it. They are not in the business of coming up with solutions. My argument has always been that if you have a scientific problem, only scientific solutions(or at least mitigation) will suffice.

AGW is real. But so is the government's attempts at fleecing us over it.

With that in mind, is would bode well to destroy the younger generations ability to challenge this with common sense by tampering with their text books and is just another example of the powers that be, changing history to effect the future of our generations to not know what was before.

It would be a disservice to our youth to deny them the most up to date scientific knowledge because some would rather play political games and muddy the waters.

If, I had my own children I would do my dam hardest to keep my kids home schooled.

Well I am a parent. I want my kids to be on the cutting edge of education. That may mean charter schools, private schools and some public schools. If my kids school started teaching creationism as a "balance" to evolutionary theory I would pull them out of that school.

You don't balance out scientific debates with denialism pseudoscience, and political hackery. You do it by testing the results of the data to see where it goes and form conclusions from that. The only scientific debate should be whether the data does or does not support a particular hypothesis and whether it fits in the overall theory.

posted on May, 21 2016 @ 04:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Mianeye

Doesn't that depend on what the tax is spend on, i know what my country is spending our collected carbon tax on, do you know what your country is spending on?

Luckily we don't have a carbon tax.

I find the governments willingness to erect a tax scheme for climate change to be dubious at best. Instead of funding research projects with redirected funds to help research and hopefully help mitigate the effects of AGW, they want to create a giant tax scheme that does nothing to prevent the biggest polluters from polluting, and making sure everyone else in the market is pushed out as a result...It's almost as if the corporations responsible for most of the pollution are writing the regulations...

posted on May, 21 2016 @ 05:09 PM
link   
a reply to: projectvxn

To be fair they have tried to do other things as well.
It hasn't just been about a carbon tax.

posted on May, 21 2016 @ 05:18 PM
link   
You probably also had outcry when schools pushed to stop teaching about demonic possessions in favor of mental health science and flat Earth in favor of a spherical one. They're getting rid of anti-man-made climate texts because they're on the same level as demonic possessions and flat Earth.

How in the world did a scientific question ever become a left vs right political issue anyways?? Just think about how ridiculous that is.

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join