It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New poll finds 9 in 10 Native Americans aren’t offended by Redskins name

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2016 @ 11:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12
Try this, go to any rez and start calling the indigenous people there "redskins" and see what happens.

or perhaps go into a bar in Howard Beach, Queens and start throwing the word "wop" around...

or go to McAllen, Texas and call the residents there "beaners"

That's pretty racist to imply that all those minorities are so uncivilized they'll loose their stuff over a spoken word.

Not cool man.

posted on May, 20 2016 @ 11:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Slanter

the question seems to be :

do native americans consider the " washington redskins " sports team name offensive to them

NOT

are native americans offended by being reffered to as ` redskins `

posted on May, 21 2016 @ 01:28 AM
link   
a reply to: KingKelson

The results find that only 8% of Native Americans polled found the name offensive
Why would they think it offensive?, because that's the color they are after a day at the beach, and then the either "peel-skin or turn brown-skin".....

posted on May, 21 2016 @ 02:05 AM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

what lands

posted on May, 21 2016 @ 02:07 AM
link   

i got all u guys beat when it comes to proven blood

posted on May, 21 2016 @ 02:37 AM
link   
a reply to: DOCHOLIDAZE1

That's fine, I wasn't trying to make it contest. I only showed mine because tech insisted.

posted on May, 21 2016 @ 03:21 AM
link   

i know im just bs ing

i am currently trying to prove my Cherokee side i still got a proven 25 percent or so i get to 30 plus percent once i prove that , the only thing i have though is a picture my grandpa had of his grandma.

i think anyone that gets so easily offended over words is a sad sjw

posted on May, 21 2016 @ 03:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: tommo39

The results find that only 8% of Native Americans polled found the name offensive
Why would they think it offensive?, because that's the color they are after a day at the beach, and then the either "peel-skin or turn brown-skin".....

Even if the term was used as negative, if it is descriptive of "what is" then it need to be reclaimed as something positive. It is all spirit having a human experience.

Is preference racism?

posted on May, 21 2016 @ 07:02 AM
link   
This isn't a new PC debate, it started back in the 60's.
Anyone remember Squaw Mountain being renamed after the Veteran Lori Priesta?

Anyone pay any attention to Winona LaDuke? Tattoo Cardinal, Buffy St.Marie or numerous others who have fought to have the stereotypical words removed from common and usually thoughtless derogatory conversations?

Sure there are more immediate and pressing issues in Indian Country, but this is where Harjo has made some progress.
I'm thrilled.

posted on May, 21 2016 @ 07:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: TechniXcality

Yea you know I should be the poster child for social justice and racism claims, but all I've ever found to be true is that the true racists are liberals. I am a proven card carrying American Indian, and do you know what I say to these idiots? # you and the horse you rode in on, go cry some more bitches!

And I am an atheist, and I lean more right wing # anyone who doesn't like it.

Here's your song, and btw redskins I hate you only because I'm a Dallas fan but Rock and roll with your name..

The natives in Albuquerque would probably kick your ass for looking like and carrying around a card like that.

posted on May, 21 2016 @ 10:53 AM
link   
From my perspective I don't think NAs should be offended by the term "redskins". This and other NA monikers were adopted by sports teams mid-20th century because they implied the fierceness and warrior spirit of NAs.

I will always view NAs as proud people, really tough people who endured much and survived with their dignity intact.

Fierce. Warriors.

posted on May, 21 2016 @ 07:34 PM
link   

The idea that a team name/mascot is somehow derogatory really boggles the mind. These things are chosen because they are considered GOOD, not because they are considered bad. Redskins, because they are cool and tough.

Of course, there will be those who claim you can't do anything remotely like someone from another culture, because that would be "stealing" their culture.

Funny how that doesn't apply to things we can buy, or various foods.....

posted on May, 21 2016 @ 08:10 PM
link   
I don't think a show of credentials proves anything..... Let's hear ya'll speak the native tongues.

My great grandfather was 100% Cherokee, he didn't have a last name... both my grandmothers where Irish... I can prove I'm part Irish, Indian by my beer drinking trophies.

posted on May, 21 2016 @ 09:27 PM
link   
a good friend, and mentor of mine, Robert Crowwolf call his people the Red Man and caucasians the White man.
He is an Apache and was adopted by the crow.
PC garbage does not effect him.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join