It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We must have the freedom to hate and be able to say NO to conformism

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2016 @ 05:04 AM
link   
a reply to: LadyGreenEyes

After reading my OP I realise I did not differentiate the two issues very well (true haters and anti-conformists). The hate label makes it increasingly difficult to separate the two as well.

posted on May, 23 2016 @ 05:24 AM
link   
a reply to: CB328

There are some religious folk that hate. I get that. There are many who just disagree with certain lifestyles. In a free civilised society they have that right. My brother disagreed with my attraction to men. I found his lifestyle (alcoholic, heavy gambler, wife-controller) repugnant. A difference of opinion, not hate.

We cannot decide how people think or act within the confines of the law. All we can do is challenge their ideas.

posted on May, 23 2016 @ 02:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Morrad

The editorial is directed towards the current trend of 'no platforming' by university campus student unions. I believe it to have a much wider relevance in this new age of conformism and what Mick Hulme (Editor-at-Large, Spiked) describes as "the internal menace of self-censorship, the widespread fear of giving offence among many who are no longer sure what opinions they are permitted to express, or even which words it is considered all right to use."

Hi, I'm late to the meetin',
but I want to remind you (and I've no idea if you already know/thought of it) and readers that the Victorian era was only 150 years ago. The sight of a lady's ankle was scandalous. We aren't that far along.

It's normal pendulum stuff.

posted on May, 23 2016 @ 07:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Morrad
a reply to: LadyGreenEyes

After reading my OP I realise I did not differentiate the two issues very well (true haters and anti-conformists). The hate label makes it increasingly difficult to separate the two as well.

These days, understandable error! That's my issue with such labels. These days, one cannot disagree with a widely held viewpoint without being labeled in such a fashion.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join