It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Flashbacks and memory triggers

page: 2
<< 1   >>

posted on May, 20 2016 @ 11:50 AM

originally posted by: DOCHOLIDAZE1
a reply to: grainofsand

i used to get flashbacks but then stopped dating lucy haven't had them in awhile

...any real memory flashbacks you wanna share?
Thanks for the chuckle though!
edit on 20.5.2016 by grainofsand because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2016 @ 12:22 PM

What a great thread idea!

These involuntary memories can be like a jolt of lightning at the moment they come flooding in.
If the triggers evoke a traumatic event (memory) it can sometimes be nearly impossible for the individual to let that moment go and resume normal activity. In other words, it can consume them and leave them vulnerable and exhausted.
If Hypervigilance is a symptom of PTSD or something similar the individual can't function normally.

But, there are wonderful moments of flashbacks/memories also!

Painful memory flashback:
If I hear the sound of an O2 machine, even briefly, I am flooded with the memory of my Mother's death. It's as if I am propelled back into her bedroom holding her hand, with all of the sights and smells that accompany that process. The complete and utter dread, hopelessness, and grief. The smell of her face lotion. I still keep a jar beside my bed. I remember kissing her at night after tucking her in and that smell.

Beautiful memory flashback:
Every single time I am hiking in the woods and a bird lands on the ground/path just up ahead of me I recall my Father when I was very young and we were walking. He loved birds, raised pigeons, drew them. Once, we were walking and a bird landed ahead of us. I was perhaps about 8 or so. I hadn't noticed it. He grabbed my elbow and stopped me. He whispered to be still. I whispered back that it will fly away anyway. He shook his head no. We walked slowly right beside that bird. It was a magical and special moment for a little girl. I thought my Father was a bird charmer or a wizard! He certainly charmed me

Looking back, I suppose the bird may have been ill but looking back and in my mind I am flooded with memories of him.
Beautiful memories of his gentleness and strength. I can almost feel him touching my elbow.

Thanks for the thread, my friend.
It was a 'trigger' itself!

posted on May, 20 2016 @ 12:37 PM
a reply to: TNMockingbird

Nicely told!!!

posted on May, 20 2016 @ 12:38 PM
a reply to: TNMockingbird

You are correct about the 'jolt' of the memory, certainly in my case. The painful memories I can deal with and still focus on whatever it is I'm doing. I'm a really bad daydreamer anyway so they just become a normal daydream then, albeit ones I wouldn't consciously choose to ponder on.
The jolt of the 'triggers' though, I feel them in my stomach, happy or unhappy, just as can imagine why I love seeing dew kissed grass under a bright mid morning winter sun!

I love your beautiful memory!
A red breasted robin was hopping around and totally interacting with me today while I was digging. As soon as he realised I wasn't going to hurt him he had all the worms, even hopping around my feet.
I shall think of your lovely story next time a little bird makes friends with me.

posted on May, 20 2016 @ 01:22 PM

Oh my gosh that must have been absolutely dreadful. I'm so sorry. I don't have any flashbacks like that, but I do remember my whole life and I go through it like a movie reel in my head. But apparently I have PTSD, but I don't count PTSD from paranormal things to be equivalent to PTSD resulting from seeing something like death. I can't even imagine how painful that must have been for you.

A nice memory for me happens when I 'smell Mexico'. It's usually random. Maybe a mixture of car exhaust and something else--like a whiff of the same detergent my grandmother used to use when we'd visit her. It seems to come in many forms. Regardless, it always feels like home.

Also, I have one flashback that I view as a form of nostalgia. It is of a copse of trees, saturated in warm and golden evening sunlight. Every time I see saturated sunlight--which is once in a blue moon, since it seems to be fairly rare--I feel utterly at peace in that moment as I drink in the glow of the scene. It's ineffable--but I try my best to put it into words, anyway.

posted on May, 20 2016 @ 01:31 PM
a reply to: rukia

Ah thanks, but I am over it in the sense that I function fine when I have the memory it just always flashes back and my daydreaming mind will dwell on it. I think I'd prefer seeing death flashbacks than paranormal as you said, that sounds scary, and I prefer to be sad than scared I think given the choice.

I'm loving your happy flashbacks as well, the exhaust smoke from hot buses in summer often flashes me to Kuala Lumpur bus station in my mind lol
Thanks for sharing

posted on May, 20 2016 @ 03:16 PM

It's less scary and more disconcerting. But that's interesting
I wouldn't have expected you to say that.

posted on May, 20 2016 @ 05:16 PM
Typically, its the events that create trauma, or its positive counterpart, that get burned into your psyche like that.

Some triggers for me:

- smelling a woman wearing old school giorgio perfume reminds me of making out with this chick in 8th grade. It ad Elizabeth Arden's Sunflower's are both rather amorous fragrances for me.
- the color orange makes me think about my mom and these sandals she used to have with orange daisies on the toe strap. Orange in general makes me think of my mom (its her favorite color)
- 60's models hot rods remind me of my father, which is more of a bitter set of memories.
- if i eat a fresh peach im taken back to a sunny summer afternoon mowing my grandparents yard. They had several trees, and i'd skip breakfast if i was going to mow their yard that day
- Sometimes when im doing laundry i will catch a whiff of a sweaty t-shirt that got wadded into the laundry bin. The smell will take me back to high school football, and the stink of the locker room. A gross but very, very fond memory
- when i smell diesel i am taken back to my grandfather using a diesel flamethrower to burn weeds and grass on his acreage. The smell of Grecian forumula reminds me of him, too.
- since i work with restaurants, this happens a lot....but ill catch the right combination of odor to take me back to elementary lunch room days with beef chili mac. No where i am affiliated with would serve anything even resembling its really amusing to me when it happens. But the way i would feel after eating a serving of that at lunch comes rushing back to me, 35 years later, and feels as real as it did back then. Even if i haven't eaten that day.

There are several more if i think about it. Smell, in particular, is a memory trigger for me. More than anything else. Things like color are more like reminders than triggers. I think about the person, but don't have the myriad feelings of a situation come flooding back to me.

posted on May, 20 2016 @ 05:22 PM

originally posted by: grainofsand
a reply to: rukia

I'm loving your happy flashbacks as well, the exhaust smoke from hot buses in summer often flashes me to Kuala Lumpur bus station in my mind lol
Thanks for sharing

Exhaust smell...oh man. I get various memories depending on the smell.

The smell of some exhaust reminds me of Mexico, and the days we would spend walking around the shops in the smaller town squares. Im reminded of this place that made tacos el carbon that were really good. My dad would joke tht they were horse or rat.

The smell of most exhaust reminds me of this bus station that used to be across the street from my grandfathers shop. I'd wander around the area around his shop sometimes if i was up there with grandma. But when i smell it, i remember standing outside the old school greyhound watching them unload freight that was being delivered.

Sometimes ill catch a whiff of diesel that'll remind me of the tractor at my friends farm, and this time that we were riding it around, taking turns. I loved that we could drive it, it looked just like this old red tractor toy that I used to have as a kid. I still have that tractor, actually. My youngest played with it when he was a little boy.

posted on May, 20 2016 @ 05:58 PM
Good trigger: sawdust. It reminds me of watching my grandpa build toys in his workshop. He made wooden toys for neighborhood kids.

Bad one: This song, especially when played on a harmonica:

It was my grandpa's favorite song. He played it on his harmonica at my grandma's funeral. We sang it at his. Man, I couldn't even have it playing while I posted this. Still hurts.

posted on May, 21 2016 @ 02:04 PM
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan
Wow, thanks for the fantastic triggers, loving the little toy tractor thought, I had one, full farm set but the tractor was my favourite.
Smell is a strong trigger for me as well but taste, music, sounds and the rest are on a par with each other.
I was using fibreglass and resin the other day though and the smell flashed me back to childhood fixing our canoes/kayaks with my brothers. Lol, yep, smell is a strong trigger!

a reply to: Skid Mark
Ah I love your good trigger, that's a lovely connection to have with the sawdust smell, I know what you mean, when I smell it I imagine being at the timber/lumber merchants with my dad as a little boy.
The sad trigger, yep, music is a strong one, there are many songs I can't bring myself to listen to.
I imagine any harmonica playing would trigger me if my grandpa used to play it. It has an almost melancholy sound to it as an instrument anyway. I'd imagine you really feel that so thanks for sharing.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>