It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Office isn't funny

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2016 @ 04:34 AM
link   
a reply to: 1984hasarrived

I thoroughly enjoyed The Last Man on Earth, many great moments once you get into it. Also Peep Show is a must if you haven't already!

And how could I forget Black Books

Bafta-winning sitcom about the antics of foul tempered and eccentric bookshop owner Bernard Black, his long-haired and long-suffering assistant, Manny, and ...

edit on 20/5/2016 by constant_thought because: what was it again? ah, tax returns. Oh wait no Black books

posted on May, 20 2016 @ 06:21 AM
link   
a reply to: Domo1

We don't really Americanize stuff, other countries do that for us because it sells better.

so thats your excuse for what passes as food in the States?

posted on May, 20 2016 @ 07:14 AM
link   
Completely agree!
I tried to watch and was not impressed at all.
I have watched a few of the British episodes and it was better but not great.

But I am likely a minority here, I thought lost, heroes, breaking bad and the walking dead were terrible to...

posted on May, 20 2016 @ 08:11 AM
link   
Love "The Office" I always thought it was hilarious.

The 'cure for rabies' episode was comic genius, man. Steve Carrell was perfect.

posted on May, 20 2016 @ 08:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: Domo1
a reply to: Kangaruex4Ewe

Well that stopped me scrolling...

So I was .. how is the wea.. read any good b oo.. umm.

thanks a lot Oo

ps the bunker sucks.. full of idiots, never get sucked in.. and the thing here, its telly. its fun

posted on May, 20 2016 @ 08:19 AM
link   

i don't disagree.

I kinda feel the same about a lot of TV.

When i was younger, pretty much all TV was written by the same folks. As new generations come on, you get new perspectives, which means things like new jokes. Which has been nice, as i was tired of the same predictable jokes in sitcoms, and didn't watch tv for about 15 years.

i watch a few, because there are new perspectives and fresh humor. But the whole "lo-fi", dry humor gag just isn't my bag. I can tolerate Napoleon Dynamite, i guess. But it doesn't have the crapy camera angles of the office.

posted on May, 20 2016 @ 08:20 AM
link   

Teddy Ruxpin!!!

How DARE you!? That was our safe word.

Just because I have a fetish for fur coats and stockings...

I wish I knew what was going on about now...

posted on May, 20 2016 @ 08:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
Completely agree!
I tried to watch and was not impressed at all.
I have watched a few of the British episodes and it was better but not great.

But I am likely a minority here, I thought lost, heroes, breaking bad and the walking dead were terrible to...

you are clearly a zombie.

posted on May, 20 2016 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Have you tried 2 Broke Girls?? That's the funniest thing I have seen on TV in ages

i pray this is sacasim

posted on May, 20 2016 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Totally agree! I tried but never thought it was funny! Thought' it must be me'.. I can't believe you got through 3 seasons!
2 Broke Girls? - total yuck, very few laughs unless you love vulgar innuendo.. I did Love Black Books though!

posted on May, 20 2016 @ 02:23 PM
link   

I don't get how it ran for so long.

I've been binge watching it for 3 seasons, and I've laughed maybe 5 times. I challenged myself.

I get the awkward humor and what not, it's just a terrible show. It's like a terrible sitcom, but without the jokes.

I didn't go into it being judgy, I was hoping I would enjoy it. Joke I just heard, "We're all homos! Homo sapiens!" Terrible.

I don't get the cult following. The boss is well intentioned but completely incapable of recognizing societal norms? So the boss is a retard, but it's funny because he's a retard and it's supposed to be relatable? It's not relatable. No one has ever had a boss that dumb. We've all had a bad boss, but this went beyond satire and into just nonsense. It's past absurdist humor, it's just absurd and dry.

Terrible show.

Congratulations, you just made my list.

I love that show and laughed every episode.

posted on May, 20 2016 @ 02:52 PM
link   
I agree. It's not funny. Most network television isn't funny.

Most network TV is over-the-top, corny, cheesy, over produced, plastic-feeling, slick, polished, and dumbed down.

I feel like I'm supposed to bark like a seal and drool on myself when I watch network sitcoms and comedies. The Office, 30 Rock, Parks and Rec ... all insanely over the top, melodramatic, unrealistic, cheesy and campy. All of them.

As for the office?

None of that kind of crap would fly in a real office. Funnier things happen in MY office that aren't nearly as ridiculous. I can't suspend my disbelief. Real human beings don't act like the people on "The Office".

Sneaking in and leaving donuts in the break room when the entire female office population is on a "diet & exercise competition" is my kind of fun. I sit back and watch the ladies of the office point fingers, blaming one another for trying to sabotage their fitness goals -- while munching on a strawberry crueler.

Network TV is over produced. Period. That's the only way I can describe the feeling I get when I watch NBC, CBS, ABC or FOX. Overproduced. Artificial. Fake. Plastic-like. To much money spent to make things LOOK GOOD instead of writing good scripts. All flash, no substance.

Hell, even Big Bang Theory pisses me off with their attempt to market and sell being a geek/nerd as fashionable. Yes, the entire cast are hopelessly incompetent with real-world issues and it takes Penny (the hot dumb blond) to help them navigate the rigors of the world after they make a mess with their superior intellects.

Sometimes Leonard (the most normal of the bunch) helps Penny because he's sort of the bridge between geekdom/nerd-lyfe and everyone else. They keep that one guy Raj's sexuality ambiguous just in case they want to add a homosexual character later. Everyone's attractive once they take their glasses off, change their clothes and get a haircut.

The stereotypes are cheesy and its being used to sell a cultural image. You can't slap glasses and comic hero t-shirts on become a "geek" or "nerd". Those terms are derogatory in nature anyway. The guy who still lives with his mother at 35 and works as a lab technician testing motherboards? That guy is a nerd.

I hate most modern tv.

posted on May, 20 2016 @ 03:02 PM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

At the risk of pointing out the obvious, TV isn't supposed to be realistic.

posted on May, 20 2016 @ 07:19 PM
link   
a reply to: superman2012

The funniest TV is funny because its close enough to reality to enable one to suspend disbelief.

posted on May, 20 2016 @ 10:47 PM
link   

'That Mitchell and Webb look' is always golden if you prefer sketch to sitcoms

edit on 20/5/2016 by constant_thought because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2016 @ 07:26 AM
link   

Not my cup of tea either.

posted on May, 21 2016 @ 07:52 AM
link   

Everyone has their own tastes.
I like ridiculous humour like the office or Brooklyn 99. I do see your point though, I was a big fan of Seinfeld, that started out normal enough and by the end of the episode, it jumped over to ridiculousness.

posted on May, 31 2016 @ 05:36 AM
link   
I struggled a bit with The office. Sometimes it was so close to reality it was just depressing.

I prefer my comedy a bit detatched, like the sort of stuff Vic Reeves does.

Did any of you ever see The Office Christmas Party? I thought it was a comedy it was so cringey, but apparently U Fit double glazing was a real firm and they were real (idiotic) people.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join