It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Office isn't funny

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2016 @ 02:30 AM
link   
I don't get how it ran for so long.

I've been binge watching it for 3 seasons, and I've laughed maybe 5 times. I challenged myself.

I get the awkward humor and what not, it's just a terrible show. It's like a terrible sitcom, but without the jokes.

I didn't go into it being judgy, I was hoping I would enjoy it. Joke I just heard, "We're all homos! Homo sapiens!" Terrible.

I don't get the cult following. The boss is well intentioned but completely incapable of recognizing societal norms? So the boss is a retard, but it's funny because he's a retard and it's supposed to be relatable? It's not relatable. No one has ever had a boss that dumb. We've all had a bad boss, but this went beyond satire and into just nonsense. It's past absurdist humor, it's just absurd and dry.

Terrible show.

+1 more 
posted on May, 20 2016 @ 02:34 AM
link   
a reply to: Domo1 the uk version was much better than the American version

posted on May, 20 2016 @ 02:38 AM
link   
a reply to: woodwardjnr

Never saw the american version, not sure why they always do "yank stank" versions of perfectly good British shows, not to mention they use an american voiceover on Thomas the Tank Engine....

posted on May, 20 2016 @ 02:41 AM
link   
a reply to: Domo1
I tried to watch it too. It did nothing for me. How did you manage to get through that many episodes?

posted on May, 20 2016 @ 02:41 AM
link   

I saw a few episodes of the UK version and agree. It was actually funny. Have you watched the US version? It's just like sitting in an office with the occasional ridiculous scenario. Terrible.

Do you guys hate Ricky Gervais? There are very few people I would like to punch on site. He's one.

posted on May, 20 2016 @ 02:47 AM
link   
a reply to: zazzafrazz

not to mention they use an american voiceover on Thomas the Tank Engine....

Aren't you Australian? You have the worst accent. The only thing more disturbing is Portuguese. Terrible. You always sound like you're askING a quesTION?

Terrible prison colony.

posted on May, 20 2016 @ 02:48 AM
link   

I don't hate Ricky Gervais, but I do not warm to the character he plays in The Office, which is the intent I guess.

Never seen the US version, and never want to as I thought the Uk was very funny. It is not a rib tickler, or laugh out loud, I agree but it amused me.

On the subject of humour, what other things would people recommend in comedy, or comedians?

posted on May, 20 2016 @ 02:48 AM
link   

Filthy lies!!! I still watch the reruns and lmao. I have had bosses like that (yes... that bad) and coworkers like that as well. Maybe that's why?

Michael is one of those who does not read societal cues, always has to make it about him, and tries too damn hard to fit in or get a laugh. He's inept and all his employees could do his job better than he can (which is generally the case in my experience).

Dwight... Hell, we have some Dwights here.
Everybody knows a Dwight lol. It's funny because each of them thinks each of them are stupid excluding themselves, yet no one realizes it.

I'm sad for our relationship Domo.
Where did we go wrong?

ETA - Have you tried 2 Broke Girls?? That's the funniest thing I have seen on TV in ages.
edit on 5/20/2016 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2016 @ 02:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: zazzafrazz

Never saw the american version, not sure why they always do "yank stank" versions of perfectly good British shows, not to mention they use an american voiceover on Thomas the Tank Engine....
So you don't have ringostar narrating Thomas the tank? Wtf
edit on 20-5-2016 by woodwardjnr because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2016 @ 02:52 AM
link   
a reply to: Kangaruex4Ewe

I'm sad for our relationship Domo. Where did we go wrong?

You stopped sporting!

Oh gross, hang on, no fishiness!

edit on 2020160520161 by Domo1 because: (no reason given)

+1 more 
posted on May, 20 2016 @ 02:54 AM
link   

Nice.

What's insulting my accent got to do with Americans needing to Americanise everything? Are Yanks unable to open up to other cultures.

posted on May, 20 2016 @ 02:55 AM
link   

I told you that I left them in the men's bathroom by accident!!!

posted on May, 20 2016 @ 02:55 AM
link   
No he is a Baldwin....

posted on May, 20 2016 @ 02:56 AM
link   

posted on May, 20 2016 @ 03:02 AM
link   
a reply to: Domo1 I haven't seen the us version I guess quite a lot of the humour can be colloquial. I like gervais and have enjoyed his other comedies extras and Derek. My favourite uk comedy is 'in the thick of it and inbetweeners

posted on May, 20 2016 @ 03:03 AM
link   
a reply to: zazzafrazz

Are Yanks unable to open up to other cultures.

Yes. We hate other cultures.

I was giving you a hard time for the American voiceover.

We don't really Americanize stuff, other countries do that for us because it sells better.

posted on May, 20 2016 @ 03:04 AM
link   

and inbetweeners

Love it. One of my favorite shows.

posted on May, 20 2016 @ 03:06 AM
link   

My most favorite comedy from the BBC ever was My Family. I happened upon it one day when I had cable years back and couldn't get enough. I was sad it went off the air.

I think you all have some funny stuff over there. You can get by with a little more than we can over here I think and that just makes it funnier.

Teddy Ruxpin!!!

edit on 5/20/2016 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2016 @ 03:11 AM
link   

Teddy Ruxpin!!!

How DARE you!? That was our safe word.

Just because I have a fetish for fur coats and stockings...

posted on May, 20 2016 @ 03:46 AM
link   
The way the difference is explained (in British journals) is that American comedies tend to be produced by teams of writers, and British comedies are normally written by individuals or two-man partnerships. The quote in my signature was written by the team of Galton and Simpson, who were responsible for more than one classic series. The theory is that American writers want to make sure that all the characters get a chance to deliver gags, while British writers can focus more on the interaction between the characters, getting jokes out of the situations arising.

I think another key factor is probably that American audiences want all the characters to be lovable. British audiences may be more at ease with brutal exchanges of insults, and central characters who are obstreperous and bolshie. A case in point; "One Foot in the Grave", about a retired man who rails at the faults of the modern world and falls out with most of the poople he meets. The audience loved him, partly because they agreed with him. I understand this had an American adaptation as "Cosby". If so, I bet the central character was more mellow and lovable than Victor Meldrew.

If you liked "My Family" you might like to track down "Last of the Summer Wine", which was a sort of onscreen retirement home for actors born in Yorkshire.

edit on 20-5-2016 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join