It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oklahoma lawmakers have passed a bill that makes performing an abortion a felony.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2016 @ 08:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: LadyGreenEyes
a reply to: shooterbrody

The individual states should be able to decide these things for themselves. That's the entire point of "United States of America", as opposed to, say, "Federal Government of America". The point is that more localized laws make for less tyranny.

I am all for States rights. I just think the bill will be challenged in court and not survive. I also think those who passed the bill know that. So to me it will end up a waste of taxes.

posted on May, 19 2016 @ 08:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: LadyGreenEyes
The individual states should be able to decide these things for themselves. That's the entire point of "United States of America", as opposed to, say, "Federal Government of America". The point is that more localized laws make for less tyranny.

If you're ok to let individual states decide what to do then why not just let Individuals themselves decide what to do for themselves??? That would be an even more direct form of Liberty would it not??? After all, an abortion doesn't effect anyone other than those involved so why have everyone else in the entire state make a decision that only effects the individual within that state.

posted on May, 19 2016 @ 08:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: shooterbrody
www.npr.org...

Under the bill, doctors who perform an abortion could face three years in prison, and lose their medical license. There are no exceptions for rape or incest — only the mother's life. Oklahoma lawmakers passed the measure with no debate. The only doctor in the Senate — a Republican — voted no, calling it 'insane.' "

How do the legislators of the state of Oklahoma expect to get this past the supreme Court? Didn't Roe v Wade settle this?
I guess the state has so much money they can afford to pass bills designed to be in court for years.

Good for them.
People need to be responsible for their actions, not get an option to murder.

posted on May, 19 2016 @ 08:33 PM
link   
a reply to: LadyGreenEyes

because.....
there's no tyrannical politicians holding office on the state level??
I'm from NY, I know better!
no state is allowed to create laws that infringe on the constitutional rights of their citizens, and the supreme court has decided that laws banning abortion is an infringement of those rights.

posted on May, 19 2016 @ 08:36 PM
link   
a reply to: EternalShadow

So aborting a fetus that was conceived by a rapist will now be illegal, aborting a fetus that was conceived from a broken condom will now be illegal.

Why should a woman have to go through the labor pains and doctor bills associated with birth because of her being raped or a condom breaking? That's not fair on her.

There are legitimate reasons for abortions being performed, this law will now make these legitimate reasons null and void and most likely lead to women trying to perform an abortion on themselves or have someone who is not a professional without the right tools do it for them.

No one should be forced to do something they don't want to do, they should not be punished for an accident or from being raped. It's stupid, plain and simple. Those medical bills that come with birth will be on the shoulders of the mother, not the condom company or rapist. Does that sound fair to you?

posted on May, 19 2016 @ 08:36 PM
link   
Look at it as a "Sanctuary State" for unborn babies.

posted on May, 19 2016 @ 08:37 PM
link   
a reply to: In4ormant

Forcing someone to give birth to a child they do not want and might simply resent and fail to raise properly isn't being responsible. That is an act of revenge that might also include and innocent sentient being that is conscious and aware.

posted on May, 19 2016 @ 08:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: 3NL1GHT3N3D1
I'm willing to bet this is the precursor to another "transgender" type deal where the media runs it into the ground until people are sick and tired of hearing about it and then move onto the next manufactured rhetoric.

First it was Muslims (and still is), then it was PC (and still is), then it was the rebel flag and racism, then it was gay marriage, then it was planned parenthood, then it was transgender bathrooms, now it will be abortion.

Notice the pattern of playing on the Conservative Rights "morals". They are using their prejudices against the entire country. People will eat it up too.

Sad times we live in.

What would happen if each of these type of events adds more and more cases possibilities to convict people of felonies. Ever wonder what one thing sits in the craw of this government, that would be minimized or eventually (via attrition) be less an less a problem? What constitutional right can be removed from someone once they are convicted of a felony? That's right, the more ways to be convicted of felonies, the less people that can legally own a firearms in this country. All these seemingly innocuous issues, resulting in seemingly stupid laws, could be the widening of the scope of a felony conviction in order to further erode the 2nd amendment protections.

Now THAT is a conspiracy idea worth looking into where many varying attempts to remove these protections have failed to date. So, use what is already on the books as an accepted limitation....and simply expand that definition to cast a wider net.

posted on May, 19 2016 @ 08:40 PM
link   
So everyone against this is also against "sanctuary cities" for illegals because these localities are violating federal immigration laws.

posted on May, 19 2016 @ 08:40 PM
link   
Get ready to see women going to prison for miscarriages or other problems resulting in a failed birth as well.

posted on May, 19 2016 @ 08:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: mOjOm
Get ready to see women going to prison for miscarriages or other problems resulting in a failed birth as well.

No only the doctor would be charged with a felony and lose the license to practice.

posted on May, 19 2016 @ 08:45 PM
link   
Meh....Much Ado About Nothing.

This is merely a political statement that will never see the light of day. It's such a constitutional violation, with no legal precedent, that it will die in the courts, unfortunately, at the tax payer expense, oh and at the expense, also, of women's reputations, of course.

edit on 19-5-2016 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2016 @ 08:45 PM
link   

GOOD for them!
Killing baby humans is murder.

posted on May, 19 2016 @ 08:49 PM
link   

Give it time. Trust me. It's happened in the past and it will happen again. The people who push stuff like this don't simply stop after they win some ground. The next step is already being planned for.

posted on May, 19 2016 @ 08:50 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

so, what's preventing someone from relocating the fetus from the sanctuary??
or is this the next law to be written?

posted on May, 19 2016 @ 08:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: dawnstar

so, what's preventing someone from relocating the fetus from the sanctuary??
or is this the next law to be written?

Dunno.

Chase 'em down and kill them all, I suppose.

posted on May, 19 2016 @ 09:06 PM
link   
I wonder what the rise in cost for Social Programs and Welfare/Food Stamps will be to cover all these new unwanted babies that are being brought in to this world??? Plus the medical bills, daycare, etc. Because I imagine many of these women who are being forced in to birthing them won't be able to raise them without help from the Gov.

That doesn't even start to explore the extra costs of a couple generations of it going on. Or any other ramifications this may have from the boom in population.

posted on May, 19 2016 @ 09:08 PM
link   
a reply to: mOjOm

Maybe the state can violate another federal law and legalize pot to pay for it.

posted on May, 19 2016 @ 09:08 PM
link   
Wonderful, this is another example of conservatives breaking the law to move us backwards with no regards to the advances we have made in the past 60 years.

posted on May, 19 2016 @ 09:11 PM
link   

it's been awhile since the other thread about this was active, but I found myself questioning weather or not there was any exceptions as far as the health of the mother. the state's way of documenting the process of their laws through till passage is kind of weird. but it appears to me that if there is, it was an afterthought. I believe I got the impression that it would put about the same restrictions as what is in place at the catholic hospitals across the country...
and, I am sorry, but when a women is miscarrying a baby that is not viable because of the age of gestation, the proper treatment is not to sit on your arse and wait for the heartbeat to stop. that is just endangering the mothers.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join