It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How does one balance Islamophobia and homophobia?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2016 @ 05:28 PM
link   
If I were gay, you better believe I would be afraid of Islam.

Muslim States Ban LGBT Groups From UN Meeting

Is anyone paying attention? Islam is extremely anti-gay rights.

If you're pro-Islam, then you are taking a homophobic stance.

This is Orwellian. Being pro-Islam requires being anti-gay rights and yet the politically correct expect people to be pro-Islam and pro-gay rights simultaneously?

Here are the 10 countries where homosexuality may be punished by death

All ten of those countries are part of the Organisation of Islamic Cooperation.

Quran (7:80-84) - "...For ye practice your lusts on men in preference to women: ye are indeed a people transgressing beyond bounds.... And we rained down on them a shower (of brimstone)" - An account that is borrowed from the Biblical story of Sodom. Muslim scholars through the centuries have interpreted the "rain of stones" on the town as meaning that homosexuals should be stoned, since no other reason is given for the people's destruction. (The story is also repeated in suras 27 and 29).

Quran (7:81) - "Will ye commit abomination such as no creature ever did before you?" This verse is part of the previous text and it establishes that homosexuality as different from (and much worse than) adultery or other sexual sin. According to the Arabic grammar, homosexuality is called the worst sin, while references elsewhere describe other forms of non-marital sex as being "among great sins."

Quran (26:165-166) - "Of all the creatures in the world, will ye approach males, "And leave those whom Allah has created for you to be your mates? Nay, ye are a people transgressing"

Quran (4:16) - "If two men among you are guilty of lewdness, punish them both. If they repent and amend, Leave them alone" This is the Yusuf Ali translation. The original Arabic does not use the word "men" and simply says "two from among you." Yusuf Ali may have added the word "men" because the verse seems to refer to a different set than referred to in the prior verse (explicitly denoted as "your women"). In other words, since 4:15 refers to "your women", 4:16 is presumably written to and refers to men.

Interestingly, the same rules don't seem to apply in paradise, where martyrs for the cause of Allah enjoy an orgy of virgins and "perpetual youth" Quran (56:17) (otherwise known as "boys" Quran (52:24)). Quran (76:19) bluntly states, "And immortal boys will circulate among them, when you see them you will count them as scattered pearls." Technically, the mere presence of boys doesn't necessarily mean sex, however it is strongly implied from the particular emphasis on the effeminacy, handsomeness and "freshness" of the boys. The female virgins of paradise are also compared to pearls (56:23).

What Does Islam Teach About...Homosexuality

edit on 19-5-2016 by Profusion because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2016 @ 05:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Profusion

I'm indifferent to both.

Do whatever you want.

posted on May, 19 2016 @ 05:34 PM
link   

There are plenty of gay Muslims.

posted on May, 19 2016 @ 05:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: windword

Broken at the foot of tall buildings in the M.E.

posted on May, 19 2016 @ 05:40 PM
link   

There is at least one sect that out right teaches that homosexuality is okay. I'd have to go through a lot of papers to find the one that I know about, thanks to a good professor in the three faiths of Abraham.

posted on May, 19 2016 @ 05:42 PM
link   

posted on May, 19 2016 @ 05:45 PM
link   

a reply to: IAMTAT

5 Muslim Nations Where Gay is Legal - LGBT Muslims

Gosh, you mean that all Muslims in all countries aren't exactly the same?

Should we mention that the last sodomy law repealed in the United States (in 2013!) was based on the Christian Bible?

Or that 17 States STILL have these laws on the books, though they have been nullified (way back in 2003!).

Probably not. I'm sure that would mean we were making unfair and untrue statements about all Christians ...

... wouldn't it?

posted on May, 19 2016 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Depends what country you're living in tbh. Some countries favor religious intolerance of people and their behaviors, other countries are more tolerant and have a more secular society.

posted on May, 19 2016 @ 05:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

"5 Muslim nations where gay is legal"

Yeah let's hear more about how the U.S. is backwards, though.

posted on May, 19 2016 @ 05:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: rockintitz

"5 Muslim nations where gay is legal"

Yeah let's hear more about how the U.S. is backwards, though.

Okay. I haven't said the US is backwards.

Did you have something to add?

posted on May, 19 2016 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Should we mention that the last sodomy law repealed in the United States (in 2013!) was based on the Christian Bible? 

Or that 17 States STILL have these laws on the books, though they have been nullified (way back in 2003!). 

Then please clarify what you meant.

Perhaps I gathered something from that you didn't intend.
edit on 19-5-2016 by rockintitz because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2016 @ 06:03 PM
link   
The issue with gays in islam isn't even a religious one. In some places in the middle east it's perfectly acceptable to rape a young boy, then go attend a stoning of a man who was caught kissing another man. Even though they're both forbidden by the Koran, the culture has permitted one and not permitted the other. This sort of cognitive dissonance can be found in every religion/group/club/party/etc. Do I hate every Christian because the bible says not to suffer a witch to live? Nope, not at all. But if I see one trying to murder a wiccan, for damn sure i'll hate them.

I fully condemn the middle east for its backwards policies involving women and gays, but most of those issues are cultural (IE: Sharia law, which is at odds with the Koran in multiple issues, including women's rights) So while I can condemn a culture for backwards thinking I have a hard time condemning a diverse group of people from all over the world that share different views on what their religion requires of them.

I can sorta see where people are coming from in their fear of Islam in the middle east, sort of like a situation where all of a sudden the Klu Klux Klan's opinion of their religious duties was the dominant form of Christianity in America. The Middle East used to be a bastion of advanced science and mathematics, hopefully the current instability will be resolved eventually and they'll stop these squabbles between tribes.

I guess my outlook is "Give people the benefit of the doubt until proven wrong." So yes, I think gays have the right to exist and I think Muslims have the right to exist.

posted on May, 19 2016 @ 06:05 PM
link   
a reply to: rockintitz

Sodomy laws (which were used to harass, incarcerate and often destroy the lives of mainly homosexual men) are based in Judeo-Christian religious beliefs.

It is only in the last decade or so that these have been ruled unconstitutional.

More clear?

posted on May, 19 2016 @ 06:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Profusion
If I were gay, you better believe I would be afraid of Islam.

Muslim States Ban LGBT Groups From UN Meeting

Is anyone paying attention? Islam is extremely anti-gay rights.

If you're pro-Islam, then you are taking a homophobic stance.

This is Orwellian. Being pro-Islam requires being anti-gay rights and yet the politically correct expect people to be pro-Islam and pro-gay rights simultaneously?

Do you have to be homophobic if your muslim?

I would say no. You could not approve of the lifestyle but it doesn't mean that you hate someone or have a fear of them.

Same could go for a gay person towards a muslim.

posted on May, 19 2016 @ 06:13 PM
link   

Very clear.

Are you equating U.S. laws (which, as you said, were determined unconstitutional) with violence and other standing laws against homosexuals in the middle east?

I drew that conclusion based on the post you responded to.

If so that's a weak argument.

posted on May, 19 2016 @ 06:14 PM
link   

Sodomy laws weren't just to harass Gay man, in some states they were enacted as a way to control the sexual habits of everyone. Many of these laws term sodomy very loosely, sometimes as anything other than missionary style penis-to-vagina sex. Oral sex and anal sex between consenting men and women were considered sodomy by many law definitions. Michigan is one such state that has laws that stipulate that sodomy can be between a man and a woman as well.

posted on May, 19 2016 @ 06:15 PM
link   
They simply won't acknowledge the glaring hypocrisy. They will just deflect and divert, usually by trying to direct criticism back at the ones calling them on their flagrant bulls#.

It might be comical, if it wasn't for the cultish mind bending necessary to buy into their tripe.

posted on May, 19 2016 @ 06:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: rockintitz

Very clear.

Are you equating U.S. laws (which, as you said, were determined unconstitutional) with violence and other standing laws against homosexuals in the middle east?

I drew that conclusion based on the post you responded to.

If so that's a weak argument.

US Laws that caused harm based on Judeo-Christian beliefs are not dissimilar from harm based on any other style of religious beliefs.

Harm is harm.

Further, I'm saying that those laws were in place a little over a decade ago in this country, and that there are many States that have not only not repealed them, but as recently as 2015, Louisiana tried to use them for their general historical purpose, to harass, intimidate and threaten gay men.

(Louisiana: Men Arrested Under Unconstitutional Sodomy Law.)
edit on 19-5-2016 by Gryphon66 because: Formatting

posted on May, 19 2016 @ 06:21 PM
link   
a reply to: rockintitz

I think what he's trying to address is that even though those laws were determined unconstitutional there are STILL states that refuse to take them off the books due to cultural reasons. So just because one cultural offshoot of Christianity thinks gay sex should be against the law doesn't mean christians all over the country should be labelled homophobes and, by extension, the same benefit should be afforded to Muslims.

posted on May, 19 2016 @ 06:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Slanter

Sodomy laws weren't just to harass Gay man, in some states they were enacted as a way to control the sexual habits of everyone. Many of these laws term sodomy very loosely, sometimes as anything other than missionary style penis-to-vagina sex. Oral sex and anal sex between consenting men and women were considered sodomy by many law definitions. Michigan is one such state that has laws that stipulate that sodomy can be between a man and a woman as well.

Right. But they were used particularly in the 19th and 20th centuries, almost entirely against gay men.

I can provide references if you wish.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join