It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

tracking the origins of a lie

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2016 @ 03:41 PM
link   
hi -

upholding the " noble " tradition of lying for jesus - pastor Glyn Barrett of the !Audacious [ thats the correct spelling
] Church in Manchester, UK . regealed his congregation with a lie about a " debate " he had with " atheists "

source

the TL : DR summary is :

pastor glyn claimed that he was invited to a debate with atheists at cambridge [ one of the top UK universities ] and he then treats his audience to a tail of how he " proved thhem wrong " - [ you cannot make this crap up - oh wait - he just did ] with a fooking retarded version of the ` god of the gaps ` argument

not surprisingly - once hemant mehta stared investigating - it turns out the tail itself is actually plaigerised from an earlier christian liar :

source

so - my question for ATS - do you have any earlier examples of this lie ?

PS - i am NOT attempting to stiffle legitimate debade - but please confine responses to this thread to the ORIGINS of this meme NOT its validity [ or lack of ] - if anyone wants to debate the validity of this argument - ping me via U2U and i shall start a new thread - or star one youreslf and invite me to argue against it

posted on May, 19 2016 @ 03:52 PM
link   
a reply to: ignorant_ape

We're all limited by our intelligence and comprehension.

The pastor's intellect reliably told him he could get away with a lie and better intellects recognised the lie.

It's the same thought process as a kid with chocolate-covered teeth being accused of eating chocolate and saying, "Chocolate? Wuuut?!"

Same as a footballer fouling a player and thinking he can deny his way out of it when everyone saw it.

posted on May, 19 2016 @ 04:15 PM
link   
Most probably thought what harm can one more lie do? Been doing it for years now.....

And who are we to doubt what went on in his head, the same head that allows him to communicate with god. Shame on you for doubting him. Tisk.

posted on May, 19 2016 @ 04:25 PM
link   

There may be some pastors who are well meaning organizers of community and all that but no honest adult can say to another person that anything in the Bible happened in real life just as the Bible says.

On that basis your fire and brimstone preachers and your Creflo Dollars are 100% full of crap every time they preach the mercy of Jehovah in the same breath as hell and eternity just as the plate is being passed with an usher watching at the end of the aisle so if you pass the plate without tithing you might feel guilty and drop a 5 in.

Joel Osteen makes me want to go to Texas just so I can call him a demons turd in front of as many people as possible.

Your average pastor knows less about the Bible than your average atheist.

And they live off the Gospel. Salaries and everything ranging from pithy to millions.

They make the best tax havens, churches and universities.

posted on May, 19 2016 @ 04:49 PM
link   

And every tale in the bible is plagiarized and rewritten to spruce up the history of the Israelites who were never more than a small section of Canaan, probably Jerusalem and Samaria.

Canaan, Egypt, India, Babylon, Persia, Akkad, and last was Greece, all effecting the outcome of the Old Testament we have today in one form or another.

It's the Magnum Opus and fictional history of Eastern mythology called Judaism. It owes its respect to its ancient and international availability.

Religions have been borrowing and recycling the same myths for millennia. Jove was worshipped in Rome and as Saturn by the Greeks and Baal to the Hebrews who somehow came up with YHVH which is the Hebrew equivalent as Jove. They combined the two names it seems in Jehovah.

That's why the Jews have a 50 volume library of Talmud and Zohar that are really expensive and not likely to be stolen like the Tanakh.

posted on May, 19 2016 @ 05:36 PM
link   

I can't find any other examples of this specific lie being used however it's common for preachers to lie and make embellished stories to keep their sheep in line.

Example Benny Hinn claimed in a television interview that during one of his "healing" ministries in Sault Saint Marie Ontario he claimed a man turned into a snake before his very eyes.

posted on May, 19 2016 @ 06:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Joecanada11 There are alot of snakes on ATS

posted on May, 19 2016 @ 06:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: ignorant_ape
hi -

upholding the " noble " tradition of lying for jesus -

And what a tradition it has been! Reminds me of the time in the past when the average person could not read or write. When a push for literacy was made and the Bible translated to the common used language the church had a hissy fit about it. They want full control over what people understood about the bible. They still do it to this day just in diffrent ways as your OP shows.
edit on 19-5-2016 by defiythelie because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2016 @ 06:20 PM
link   
a reply to: visitedbythem

There are "snakey" people everywhere. Though none on ATS even hold a candle to Hinn, Robert tilton, creflo dollar, Kenneth Copeland. Joyce Meyer, Joel Osteen etc. Those small handful of people have conned billions out of sick and desperate people.

posted on May, 19 2016 @ 07:59 PM
link   

edit on 5/19/2016 by Klassified because: Nvrmnd. Misunderstood

top topics

join