It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dark Tower Author: Changes in the Film Might "Upset" Fans

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2016 @ 11:23 AM
link   
a reply to: Skid Mark

I think the only way it makes sense is if, like Abysha said, Eddie gets twice the hate? I don't like it much but it is what it is at this point.

posted on May, 19 2016 @ 11:29 AM
link   
a reply to: Shiloh7

I agree, changing Roland from an old white guy to Idris Elba can change quite a bit of the original tension between Odetta and him. I'm not sure how that is going to play out in the movie, maybe a royalty/peasent thing, although that doesn't really make sense since Odetta/Susanna's father's wealth kind of plays an important part in the story.

posted on May, 19 2016 @ 11:33 AM
link   
a reply to: thov420

Since I have very little experience with psychoactive substances, I think I would have had a hard time creating the images in Fear and Loathong without having watched the movie first. For people that have "lived" more than me, it probably wouldn't be so hard.

posted on May, 19 2016 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Back in the 1970's I plunked down $30 for the hard cover of Book 1. I always pictured Lance Hendriksen as Roland. Now forty years later I can look back at all the films made from King's works and I can't say I could agree with even one casting call of characters. The worst were David Soul in Salem's Lot and James Caan in Misery. I don't think King's work can be successfully transferred to the screen.a reply to: thov420

posted on May, 19 2016 @ 12:02 PM
link   
a reply to: boomerdude

I actually had the pleasure of reading the last 2 Dark Tower books for the first time by borrowing the hardcover illustrated editions from a buddy at work. That was awesome.

Have you seen "The Mist"? As I've said before, other than the ending, it was almost exactly like the story. And I agree with the casting choices in it. But ya, overall, King's works have never been properly translated and it's a real shame. We have the technology now to do him proper justice so I hope the Dark Tower will kick off more adaptations.

Edit: Re: Lance Henriksen, I know the guy but didn't know the name. I agree he would make a great Roland. He's got that sun-weathered cowboy look to him and he's a good actor.
edit on 5/19/16 by thov420 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2016 @ 12:25 PM
link   
a reply to: chelsdh

There's a scene in fear & loathing that does a great job of recreation. I think he's in the bar early on & there was some lady there. Gosh it's been so long since I've seen it.

posted on May, 19 2016 @ 01:30 PM
link   
a reply to: thov420

There are rumors of a few "redo's". IT is one

I've about given up on movies from books. While some are ok, even when they do a mini series, they just miss or change so much.

The Stand. Could have been so much better. Oh well. Like others have stated, it is impossible to beat your imagination.
And so hard, when you already have them pictured in your mind, to see someone totally different play the part.

posted on May, 19 2016 @ 02:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: thov420
a reply to: SmurfRider

Sorry to hear of your distaste for MM. Who would you like to have seen cast as the Man in Black? Any thoughts on Idris Elba or the other casting choices?

Johnny Cash. Because he is the literal Man In Black.

Might have been difficult, but think of the material casting him would provide King!

posted on May, 20 2016 @ 03:30 AM
link   
a reply to: SmurfRider

I know this scene of which you speak.... After he has checked into his hotel and the carpet in the lobby is moving, and everyone is lizards.

It's an exhausting film. It's been a few years since I watched it, and I remember getting to the part where he comes to in the flooded hotel room, wearing the dinosaur tail, and thinking "How is this only half over?!"..... And that wasn't my first time watching it. It seems to get longer each time. But it's still great, and will always be in my list of favorites.

posted on Nov, 3 2016 @ 05:02 PM
link   
EW.com

A film version of Stephen King’s apocalyptic saga was originally set for release on Feb. 17, but now will shift to the summer of 2017, sources close to the film tell EW. UPDATE: Sony has informed distributors that the new release date will be July 28.

Just saw this article in my news feed. It kinda sucks that it's been delayed but at least it's still happening. Fingers crossed it'll be good, or at least decent.

Fans of the novels can take heart that the film has been shot and is definitely still moving forward. The destination, much like the Tower in the story, has just turned out to be further off than anyone realized.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join