It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

In Search For Cures, Scientists Create Embryos That Are Both Animal And Human

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2016 @ 11:18 AM
link   
a reply to: Skid Mark

I just posted above you about that.

Edited to add...Yes Skid, we did! LOL
edit on 19-5-2016 by Night Star because: (no reason given)

edit on 19-5-2016 by Night Star because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2016 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Great, now we will have female bathrooms, male bathrooms, transgender bathrooms, and ManBearPig bathrooms...

posted on May, 19 2016 @ 11:30 AM
link   
a reply to: JimiBlack

So are you a reformed scientist or something? How do you know these things us mere mortals don't?

posted on May, 19 2016 @ 11:30 AM
link   

edit on 5/19/2016 by Kali74 because: meh

posted on May, 19 2016 @ 11:34 AM
link   
If the bio AI Systems were invested in that had data base of all animals practiced on, with interactive scientific platforms there would be no need to test on live subjects. Just upload data interest platform and enter virtual labs virtual animals included... Wait👀

posted on May, 19 2016 @ 11:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74

So are you a reformed scientist or something? How do you know these things us mere mortals don't?
Ahh, you give me too much credit, for I am a mere mortal myself.

posted on May, 19 2016 @ 12:02 PM
link   

Then how do you know?

posted on May, 19 2016 @ 12:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: WeAre0ne
Great, now we will have female bathrooms, male bathrooms, transgender bathrooms, and ManBearPig bathrooms...

No it will be, PuppyMonkeyBaby.

Gives new meaning to the rollout of that Superbowl commercial.

posted on May, 19 2016 @ 12:44 PM
link   

a reply to: SlapMonkey
I don't think we are remotely close to X-Men. I think genes have to be incredibly similar to another for any of this to work. Two percent genetic difference turns out to be massive... venomous humans seems pretty impossible.

Well, 20 years ago we weren't remotely close to creating animals that could have human organs (and survive that way) until we needed to harvest them for human use.

My point is that you're seemingly failing to look much beyond this current possibility--it's just a stepping stone. The question is, do you want that path paved, or should we abandon it altogether.

Personally, I'd like to know that we--as human beings--have the capability of such things, but would prefer it not be abused. The problem lies in the reality that if we can, then it will be abused. Look at the internet, explosives, firearms, vehicles, airplanes, boats, chemicals, diseases, etc.--any time there is a technology that creates our ability to use something for legitimate purposes, there will always be those out to exploit it for the worsening of humankind. Identity theft, car bombs, gun violence, vehicular homicides, the current (possible) terroristic crashing of a passenger jet, drug/human trafficking, chemical WMDs, biological warfare--all of these are respective unintended uses for these technologies that exist and were created with (usually) good intentions.

But as Ozzy Osbourne said, "Good intentions pave the way to hell."

Sadly, this is often true, and I think that you're choosing to disregard that reality.
edit on 19-5-2016 by SlapMonkey because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2016 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Even more, what is known as "ethics" varies wildly. Just in general, the difference in outlook and worldview in eastern vs western thought and methodology is in stark contrast. Morality, in the west mostly effected by Christianity/abrahamic influence, is a primary divergence.

So what we are sitting here talking about on ATS...will likely have little bearing on what happens inside China. The things we won't do due to morals and ethics may well find a foothold in China. Or elsewhere in Asia/Russia.

posted on May, 19 2016 @ 12:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: SlapMonkey

I don't think we are remotely close to X-Men. I think genes have to be incredibly similar to another for any of this to work. Two percent genetic difference turns out to be massive... venomous humans seems pretty impossible.

Well, 20 years ago we weren't remotely close to creating animals that could have human organs (and survive that way) until we needed to harvest them for human use.

My point is that you're seemingly failing to look much beyond this current possibility--it's just a stepping stone. The question is, do you want that path paved, or should we abandon it altogether.

Personally, I'd like to know that we--as human beings--have the capability of such things, but would prefer it not be abused. The problem lies in the reality that if we can, then it will be abused. Look at the internet, explosives, firearms, vehicles, airplanes, boats, chemicals, diseases, etc.--any time there is a technology that creates our ability to use something for legitimate purposes, there will always be those out to exploit it for the worsening of humankind. Identity theft, car bombs, gun violence, vehicular homicides, the current (possible) terroristic crashing of a passenger jet, drug/human trafficking, chemical WMDs, biological warfare--all of these are respective unintended uses for these technologies that exist and were created with (usually) good intentions.

But as Ozzy Osbourne said, "Good intentions pave the way to hell."

Sadly, this is often true, and I think that you're choosing to disregard that reality.

"We" could choose not to dabble in it all we want but if the genie has left the bottle other nations like China or Russia with resources and facilities may decide otherwise. China doesn't even put filters on their smokestacks or keep lead out of their products, why would they follow our policy?

posted on May, 19 2016 @ 01:23 PM
link   

I'm not disregarding anything, I know the ugliness humans are capable of, I also know that we can't walk around in bubble wrap because of that potential for ugliness and I also know that humans have knee jerk reactions (all of us) and I don't think this will lead to an X-Men scenario.

posted on May, 19 2016 @ 06:05 PM
link   
a reply to: neoholographic

They always want to assign some "noble" motive to such actions, but there is nothing noble about this. It's a terrible idea. What rights would such offspring have? How would using them to test diseases, or to "farm" organs be acceptable?? We cannot, as a species, even reconcile differences among one another now; how would we behave with partial humans?

What this would amount to is lab-created slaves.

posted on May, 19 2016 @ 06:06 PM
link   

I find it hard to invest in an article that proclaims embryos were both human AND animal.

We ARE ANIMALS.

posted on May, 19 2016 @ 06:07 PM
link   
Humans are not animals?

That's news to me.

Figured I was just another crazy hairless ape slinging poo.

posted on May, 19 2016 @ 06:26 PM
link   
Although controversial personally, i think this is brilliant (although the organ harvesting is hopefully beaten by lab grown organs). Science is hindered by so many different groups, ideologies and religions that it's a breath of fresh air to see progress being made on the genetic side of the multi-faceted science coin.

Granted this route could cause many issues in the long run, but I want to be trailer park man-shark so I'll take the risk
edit on 19/5/2016 by constant_thought because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2016 @ 06:30 PM
link   

Screw it. Let's do this! Why not? Seems it's OK to go from male to female and vice versa! You can't possibly be all in for transgenderism and be selfish at the time about this, no?
I would rather see us do more organically than sticking computer chips into our bodies and brains as a sign of our developing evolution. Some animals have natural resistance to many ills our species possess, why the f# not?
Playing God..... Lol. If God didn't want this taking place, where are all the lightning bolts and plagues?
Man's dogmas and philosophical thinking has limited our potential long enough!
Has it already been done? You would be arrogant and naive to think so. It's already in the works and articles like this are just a way to incrementally introduce the general population to this ongoing research.
Let go of your hang ups and conditioning and let's move forward. We are the dominate lifeforms on this planet and as such, we need to be more open to using every and all means to advance our progression towards making ourselves more resilient.
Grow up... Grow out of.... and allow our species to advance.

edit on 19-5-2016 by EternalShadow because: a correction

posted on May, 19 2016 @ 07:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: BASSPLYR

Bedlam are you saying its closer to what monsanto does with genetically modified corn. Or is it more like human with 8 octopus tentacles for arms and an m60 in each?

Most chimerae end up all mixed up with both somatic lines scattered to hell and gone throughout the organism. That's not hard to do - a talented high schooler with a good lab and some assistance implanting the embryos could make them. A lot of them don't live. But you can mix pretty disparate organisms that way.

A targeted chimera where you have octopus tentacles for arms is a lot harder to do.

A hybrid like Monsanto corn is like breeding a horse and a donkey. Or a person and a chimp. Which was probably done, I certainly heard enough scuttlebutt about it.

Diddling morphogenetic genes at the same time you're making a chimera can help you with making sure you only get two or four octopus arms.
You'd probably have to do that too if you want a halfway sane armored bear cavalry soldier.

posted on May, 19 2016 @ 08:07 PM
link   

I can't imagine it will be too much different than animal testing today, which I don't agree with largely... except I'm selfish and want to live. There's too much unknown about this type of research as of yet to form a strong ethical opinion of. I don't think it's going to result in hybrids though... think of GM Salmon.

So it's completely ethical to create an entirely new lifeform, part human, for the sole purpose of doing medical research? And this in a society that has the vapors if a chimpanzee gets tested for something?

posted on May, 19 2016 @ 09:04 PM
link   
a reply to: LightSpeedDriver

Stop with semantics and start speaking reason. I do not believe in "God" either but do know we know very little about DNA and the repercussions of playing with it.

The only way to know is to keep playing.

That, and I can't wait until we can augment our own DNA.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join