It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Universal Translators are here and they are cheap

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2016 @ 02:08 AM
link   
a reply to: abe froman

Yep, I agree that it could be a huge change on travel etc, but I still do not like it.

I have spent most of my life overseas and part of the fun of living and travelling overseas is getting to grips with language problems and communicating (or trying to) with people. yes, it can be frustrating and there are times I would have loved one of these devices, but still I am glad I never had one of these then, as I managed anyway.

edit on 19-5-2016 by 1984hasarrived because: Typo fixed

posted on May, 19 2016 @ 02:20 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Really?

Tell the soldiers in Iraq and Afghanistan that.

posted on May, 19 2016 @ 02:21 AM
link   

Stop for a second and think of this as a tool not a toy.

posted on May, 19 2016 @ 02:21 AM
link   

It was a joke, son.

posted on May, 19 2016 @ 02:49 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage

I got it, Gene.

I just wanted to point out the potential importance of this device.

posted on May, 19 2016 @ 03:02 AM
link   
If you've ever used 'good' natural language speech recognition and translation, it's abysmal.

One day, maybe. But right now, this will be a cute toy you'll dump in a few days. Good thing it's cheap.

posted on May, 19 2016 @ 04:09 AM
link   
As someone that works with translation software frequently, I doubt this will be any good in real life.

Just as an example, look at how the main translation services I use translate this Portuguese sentence.
(I didn't use any capital letters because there are none in speech)
"a freguesia de cova da piedade foi incluída na união de freguesias de almada"

Google:
"the pit village of piety was included in the union of parishes of almada"

Bing:
"the parish of cova da piedade was included in the Union of parishes of almada"

Babylon:
"The civil parish of Cova da Piedade was included in the union of the parishes of Almada"

SYSTRANet:
"the clientele of hollow of the mercy was enclosed in the union of clienteles of almada"

Bing and Babylon are correct, SYSTRANet, part of the company that sells (not cheap) SYSTRAN is the worst.

Also, seeing that voice recognition works better with training and that, in this case, is not likely to happen, I doubt this will really work as expected in real world situations.

posted on May, 19 2016 @ 08:53 AM
link   
This is good ! Though not a new idea, and probably not evolved enough yet, but a few years down the line I expect this to be quite efficient if it catches on (I think it will). After the release and reviews I will purchase one, it will be invaluable in my line of work !
edit on 19-5-2016 by WeSbO because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2016 @ 08:58 AM
link   
a reply to: ArMaP

I always have to use translators throughout the day, if the text is well written google isn't too shabby, and even comes up with better words than the ones I thought of. I haven't tried bing for a long time, thanks for the tip. On a side note I find bing a lot better at finding photos and videos than google.

posted on May, 19 2016 @ 09:03 AM
link   
Amazing technology, I was reading about this a few days ago. To try to imagine what the world could become if knowledge and technology were free is almost as mind boggling as the thought itself.

posted on May, 19 2016 @ 10:46 AM
link   

The better translators at least attempt to translate the idea or intention of the original. However, simply translating words from one language's dictionary to the other's often results in virtual nonsense.

posted on May, 19 2016 @ 03:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Soylent Green Is People

From what I have seen about machine translation (the company where I work implemented an automated method of translating texts from historical archives), all modern systems use the statistical method, applied to sentences.

To train such systems you "feed" it with two parallel texts, one in one language and the other in a second language, with each sentence in one text corresponding to the sentence in the same position in the other text. The software analyses both texts and creates a statistical model of how the words appear in relation to each other in the sentences in both languages. When we give it a text to translate it looks for the sentences, so if it finds a sentence that is exactly like one of the sentences used in the training it will use the corresponding sentence in the second language.

The software we used (Moses for Mere Mortals, open source software) is easy to setup and train, but tweaking the system to achieve the best translation possible is time consuming, but gives excellent results when trained with texts that have the content similar to the one we want to translate. That's why some systems use different specific training files and the resulting data for different topics, like law and finances, for example.

posted on May, 22 2016 @ 01:19 AM
link   
A universal translator was already invented in 1887. It's a language called Esperanto and was designed to be easy to learn so that people who dpeak different languages can communicate and it already has at least 2 million speakers around the world and more and more people are learning it.

edit on 22-5-2016 by arpgme because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2016 @ 07:00 AM
link   
a reply to: arpgme

That's not an universal translator, it's just another language, and as another language some people may have more difficulty than others learning it. From the little I have seen of it, it looks easy for someone speaking Portuguese, as Portuguese is a Romance language and Esperanto is mostly based on Romance words.

posted on May, 22 2016 @ 07:20 AM
link   

Plus you've probably got more people who speak fluent Klingon outside of Aikido practitioners. For some reason it's popular with them.

posted on May, 22 2016 @ 08:08 AM
link   
It's a good push, but I won't be wasting my monies on first-gen. I think we need custom chips to do this right and they have yet to be engineered.
edit on 22-5-2016 by pl3bscheese because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2016 @ 09:48 AM
link   
The biggest problem with voice recognition is the difference in accents around even the same country.

There are some good sketches on youtube - 2 scots/glaswegians in a lift - shows what I mean perfectly

posted on May, 22 2016 @ 11:47 AM
link   

armap can you link me to your language thread ?? I lost it and would like to put it back in my sig.

posted on May, 22 2016 @ 12:35 PM
link   
a reply to: AmericanRealist

What language thread?

posted on May, 22 2016 @ 02:17 PM
link   

the one with the list of ATS members that can translate different languages. I think it originally had something to do with UFO's though.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join