It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chinese jets intercept US spy plane over South China Sea, Pentagon says

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Two Chinese fighters have carried out an "unsafe" intercept of a US military aircraft over the South China Sea, the Pentagon says.

The incident happened in international airspace on 17 May as the US maritime reconnaissance aircraft carried out a routine patrol in the area, it added.

Tensions in the region have increased recently, with China and the US trading accusations over military activity.

Several nations claim territory in the resource-rich South China Sea.

A military official quoted by the Associated Press news agency said the US pilot was forced to descend about 200ft (60m) to avoid a collision.

The defence department said it was addressing the issue through military and diplomatic channels.

"Over the past year, DoD has seen improvements in PRC actions, flying in a safe and professional manner," the statement added, using the initials for People's Republic of China.

Source Here

And slowly, in tiny incremental steps, the tension mounts.

Quite evidently the Chinese are utterly determined to illegally extend their territorial boundaries, and pretty much flipping the birdie at everyone in the process.

Sooner or later I feel the situation in the South China sea is going to start escalating rapidly, in the wrong direction. I honestly cannot see anything other than a major tete-a-tete in the near future. Especially after the US elections are finally concluded.

Kind Regards
Myselfaswell
edit on 18-5-2016 by myselfaswell because: absolutely shocking grammar, mind you it's probably not muchany better now

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 06:42 PM
link   
a reply to: myselfaswell

Yea theres mounting tension because the US is creating it.
How many spy planes does china have off the coast of NY in international waters, 0.

This dispute in the South CHINA seas is a dispute predating any US involvement. I dont know why we feel the need to chime in.... oh yea, its a highly strategic location thats why. In terms of trade and military.

If this was a dispute over south indian islands and other countries, with no trade, natural resources, or militaristic advantages, we wouldnt bat an eye. We want a stake in the South China seas and its as always, obvious (just not to the patriotics...).

The next presidency will probably begin shifting the attention over to Asia and Russia once we phase out with operation 'Isis' and create a new enemy to fuel our endless war business. Wondering what after ISIS, its not another al queada... its nukes and trade routes....
edit on 18-5-2016 by odzeandennz because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 07:05 PM
link   
a reply to: odzeandennz

I agree with your sentiments, however, if you recall, Chinese naval ships passed within 12 nautical miles of the Alaskan coast last year, I believe during a visit to that state by President Obama. The Chinese claimed it was merely "innocent passage", according to maritime law.

The simple issue here is that you cannot just start building islands in the middle of anywhere, disputed or otherwise, and then claim that they are your territory.

Kind Regards
Myselfaswell

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 07:16 PM
link   

You might want to look at a map and see what China is trying to do in the area before you spout the ever popular America is in the wrong and is meddling bi-line. I assure you Vietnam, the Philippines, Indonesia, and even India does not share your views on the situation in the South China sea.

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 07:20 PM
link   

The spy planes are in Japanese waters no where near china's coast. China is just trying to claim an area of international waters. Which currently no other country recognize. Not sending planes and ships in to the area effectively hands it over to China. Even though the islands belong to Japan. Creating your own islands in anothers territory isn't very neighborly.

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 07:36 PM
link   
China is a mess.
The government sucks, the people are good, and the economy is set to explode upward (and has been).

Wouldn't it be nice to see a citizens uprising to depose of the communists and bring back a republic..Taiwan might even rejoin if that happened and the world could suddenly make major progress.

but whatever. freaking Chinese political leaders are a disaster.

They spend more time building military and worrying about shutting down more and more of the internet than making sure the food and water isn't poisoned. Care for your people and open the net you jerks..suppression never works in todays world.

I type all this because I dont want war with China..ever
But I acknowledge that if China did end up in revolution, the outcome, if they lost, would be fantastic for the people there with transparency, human rights, open internet, etc.
edit on 18-5-2016 by SaturnFX because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 07:39 PM
link   
Lets not forget about Chinas illegal ADIZ that covers several Japanese islands that China claims.

Sovereignty cannot be created by building artificial islands. The reason for that is so China doesnt build an artificial island at 12.01 miles from another country and then claim the 12 mile sovereignty limit.

China is creating the tension, just as they did when they recklessly collided with a US spy plane operating in international airspace . Hopefully these Chinese pilots are better trained than there earlier sub par comrades.

In case you want to know read UNCLOS, which China is a signatory. The international ruling on Chinas claims, which China will not win, should be coming out soon.
edit on 18-5-2016 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 07:46 PM
link   
The validity of the dispute is not whats being questioned, its the method of resolution; conflict.
Why arent france, england, russia, germany sending their navy and spy ships

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 07:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: odzeandennz
The validity of the dispute is not whats being questioned, its the method of resolution; conflict.

Russia does there involved ad well.

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 09:03 PM
link   

Because the US war machine wants to be the first responder, bringing freedom and democracy to everyone, whooo hooo yeah. Remember the US gumment doesn't really acknowledge the UN, only when it's convenient.

United States withdrawal from the United Nations

As for the method, well is fair to say that the people of this world don't want conflict, however the same cannot be said for all of the war mongering psychos around the world and their puppet politicians.

Kind Regards
Myselfaswell

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 09:10 PM
link   
The intercept news is nothing new, move on guys. This is just repeated propaganda from Pent. This is like how old since 2014?

thediplomat.com...

Obviously other countries would intercept each others spy plane.

For all you know a plane that size could carry a nuke and drop it on their others territory.

Same thing will happen in US if Chinese Spy planes is found near shores.

edit on 18-5-2016 by makemap because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 09:32 PM
link   
a reply to: makemap

Have you read any of this thread ?

I'll add another source just incase you didn't see the first one

And from the additional source;

The incident comes a week after China scrambled fighter jets as a US Navy ship sailed close to a disputed reef in the South China Sea. Another intercept took place in 2014 when a Chinese fighter pilot few acrobatic manoeuvres around a US Navy plane.

Clearly this is a different incident and I recommend you take the time to read about it.

Obviously other countries would intercept each others spy plane

If in fact they are in your airspace, then yeah no problems. If they are in international airspace, no bueno.

Oh, and just in case you missed this one;

if you recall, Chinese naval ships passed within 12 nautical miles of the Alaskan coast last year, I believe during a visit to that state by President Obama. The Chinese claimed it was merely "innocent passage", according to maritime law.

Kind Regards
Myselfaswell

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 09:49 PM
link   

The island was made in international waters this Chinese aggression not the other way around. Also, other nations are being bullied by China with this newly formed bases.

And China has no spy planes around NY because they don't have the carriers to do it. not that the USA is flying spy missions in China anyways.

If you wanna always point the finger at the US at least remain consistent when other countries act like bullies
edit on 18-5-2016 by JDmOKI because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 09:56 PM
link   
a reply to: dragonridr

Because all of thosenations don't have carriers or bases in the region to conduct any type of mission. The US has the ability to operate anywhere in the world because of our carriers and our massive navy

These islands are the solution to china's 1 old functioning carrier and the USA having 13
edit on 18-5-2016 by JDmOKI because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2016 @ 12:00 AM
link   
So if china intercepted them in international airspace, then its all fair games.

As if, if any country flew spy planes over or near the US, there wouldnt be a massive spin on it.
China caught us spy planes near its territory then so be the outcome.
When has the US intervened in international matter like this one and the outcome was peaceful? Whenever claims made by the Pentagon, its always to show how us being in their regions is no biggie.

If they said France jet fighters intercepted a us spy plane, id be shocked. But the Chinese intercepting US planes near their homeland, then what did they expect China to do? A welcoming parade? Are we bringing democracy to China soon?
edit on 19-5-2016 by odzeandennz because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2016 @ 12:17 AM
link   
Chinese spy ships enter US ports all the time.

They are chinese cargo ships with reserve officers of the Chinese navy(PLAN) in command.
www.infowars.com...

posted on May, 19 2016 @ 12:32 AM
link   
a reply to: ANNED

Wouldn't doubt that for a second.

Kind Regards
Myselfaswell

posted on May, 19 2016 @ 01:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: odzeandennz
a reply to: myselfaswell

How many spy planes does china have off the coast of NY in international waters, 0.

This dispute in the South CHINA seas is a dispute predating any US involvement. I dont know why we feel the need to chime in.... oh yea, its a highly strategic location thats why. In terms of trade and military.

If this was a dispute over south indian islands and other countries, with no trade, natural resources, or militaristic advantages, we wouldnt bat an eye. We want a stake in the South China seas and its as always, obvious (just not to the patriotics...).

The next presidency will probably begin shifting the attention over to Asia and Russia once we phase out with operation 'Isis' and create a new enemy to fuel our endless war business. Wondering what after ISIS, its not another al queada... its nukes and trade routes....

Totally agree with you on the military industrial complex......However, lets not forget who taught these nations to play the game. The problem now is, they play "our" game (meaning the USA) better than us. So now what? Let them have it? Back down and recluse to North America? Tell me, what is the answer in this global economy. This is the million dollar queston......

So here is what I think. I believe the USA should go into 20-40 years of isolation. Shut the borders down and fend for ourselves. Let the world do the world without us. The USA is the only country in the world that can shut the borders down and still be self sufficient. Work on our problems, knock down the debt, fix the infrastructure, house the homeless, help the mentally impaired, work on assimilation. The USA has little to no culture. We have to stand for something and believe in it. Too many cultural changes have happened too quickly.

posted on May, 19 2016 @ 02:02 AM
link   
a reply to: crusadors

I agree with your question. It is what needs to be addressed. The us has a slew of small islands it houses military bases.

I don't know an answer to the question you asked , i won't pretend to know and rationalize from one single perspective.

I partially agree with your answer though .

posted on May, 19 2016 @ 02:14 AM
link   
a reply to: crusadors

My answer would be a measured multi-nation response sanctioned by the UN, in part that's what they're meant to be there for. Unfortunately there's nothing but cricket chirps coming from there and that's not likely to change, so roll on the brinkmanship.

Kind Regards
Myselfaswell

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join