It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The States Begin to Fight Obama’s Transgender “Guidance”

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2016 @ 08:39 AM
link   
a reply to: network dude

I am fairly confident that the laws will side with nondiscrimination - at least from a federal standpoint - having seen a similar situation with marriage equality. I am also confident that these nondiscrimination laws will cause no great hardship or catastrophe once things settle down, as we have seen with the other states and cities that have already done it.

I am vocal about this subject as I try to educate those who appear to be ignorant regarding people with gender dysphoria, especially trans kids. The motto of this site is to deny ignorance, is it not? I'm just doing my part.

Did that answer your question?

posted on May, 19 2016 @ 08:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv

Yes, and how are we going to stop all those thousands of people who are going to marry their dogs or their toasters or their 6 year old children if we allow gays to marry????

Your attempts to fear monger by using the slippery slope are just as pathetic. There are other states and cities who have for some time now had similar non-discrimination laws - their world hasn't ended because of it.

I didn't say the world was going to end. You keep bringing up this toaster thing, I am beginning to think you have a fetish. Hey what you do at your house is cool with me as long as all of the appliances are consenting.

There is a difference between the gay marriage argument and this. Gay marriage, for which I was totally for made this argument. "All people should be allowed to marry whoever they want as long as they are consenting adults. Therefore, gays should be allowed to marry". I agree with this. In fact, I have nor problem with other outlawed practices such as polygamy. If all are consenting adults, good for them. Toasters aren't people, and neither or dogs. So the slippery slope argument makes no sense.

The trans issue is as follows. "All people should be able to go to the bathroom where they feel comfortable. Therefore, trans people can use whatever restroom they are comfortable with." This I have a problem with. I do not agree with the initial premise. This is where this issue is going. Why are the rights of trans people more important than the gender fluid?

Perhaps a cis gender man was attacked in a mens room before, and now only feels safe in womens rooms. Why are his feelings less important than trans peoples? You belittle people concerns by saying it will all work out, yet you are one of the most vocal screaming about trans needing these rights, and all who disagree being bigots.

When issues you are concerned about come up, they are important and need to be discussed, but when people disagreeing with you have issues, they should just shut up because it will all work out.

posted on May, 19 2016 @ 08:43 AM
link   
Tennessee, thankfully, is not one of those states

www.knoxnews.com...

This law only protects humans from discrimination, everything else is the exact same.

Republican whack job law makers are upset about Equal Rights for Gay so they are trying to make everyone else's life as miserable as they can. They just want to yell at the top of their lungs... "If you are not a straight, white, Christian male, then you do not deserve equal rights!!!"

posted on May, 19 2016 @ 08:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: veracity

Republican whack job law makers are upset about Equal Rights for Gay so they are trying to make everyone else's life as miserable as they can. They just want to yell at the top of their lungs... "If you are not a straight, white, Christian male, then you do not deserve equal rights!!!"

And that is wrong. I have no love lost for people trying to bring religion into politics. However, lets not be naive, the other side is doing all they can to demonize and antagonize Christians, particularly straight white male ones.

Here is a conversation between to gay men discussing how ativists on the left used gay marriage as an excuse to go after Christians even further.
www.youtube.com...

I was all for gay marriage, but then searching the country for every mom and pop establishment that disagrees with it and then demanding the serve your wedding is ridiculous.

And Democrats led by Obama have been shouting, "If you are a white person, particularly a straight male, you are an oppressor." So both sides suck.
edit on 19-5-2016 by Grambler because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2016 @ 09:05 AM
link   
a reply to: Grambler

if you own a business, you cannot discriminate

if you must discriminate and you think your religion (not sure what religion that is, not Christianity) is against same sex marriage, then don't own a business...

and stay locked up in your home, away from society... so you don't bring it down

posted on May, 19 2016 @ 09:25 AM
link   

if you must discriminate and you think your religion (not sure what religion that is, not Christianity) is against same sex marriage, then don't own a business...

and stay locked up in your home, away from society... so you don't bring it down

Yep, and be sure to bail out the banks if they start to fail. can't have the big $ boys in the bread line.

Why not let a business be as ignorant as it want's, it will fail, and then some smart young person can buy it up at a discount rate and make it into something amazing? (I used to think that was the american way) But now, we must legislate enough laws to protect the innocent, just in case there was to be an intolerant person somewhere that needs punished.

posted on May, 19 2016 @ 09:27 AM
link   

I dont know what world you live in but businesses discriminate all the time. They just cant openly discriminate.
How many times do you think lesser quality service, delays, inability to meet deadlines happens?
The govt cant force a business to actually do anything; they just pursue those who OPENLY voice an opinion.

posted on May, 19 2016 @ 09:31 AM
link   
a reply to: shooterbrody

Yeah, and murder and robbery still happen as well, despite laws against it- and sometimes people are sneaky enough to get away with it. Does that mean we should just abolish all laws against crime?

posted on May, 19 2016 @ 09:44 AM
link   

Yeah, and murder and robbery still happen as well, despite laws against it- and sometimes people are sneaky enough to get away with it. Does that mean we should just abolish all laws against crime?

HA
Yeah those are fair comparisons arent they?
murder vs unable to buy a cake
robbery vs unable to book churcdh for wedding
you are delusional

why would anyone want to enrich a merchant who does not want your business to begin with?

posted on May, 19 2016 @ 09:50 AM
link   

You are saying that there is no point in having a law if someone is sneaky enough to get away with it. It may be true that people could get away with it if they are sneaky, but the point in having a law is to have a way of punishing people when you do catch them.

You seem to be missing the whole point of discrimination. Go back and research Jim Crow laws of the South and things like "whites only" businesses.

posted on May, 19 2016 @ 09:56 AM
link   

You are saying that there is no point in having a law if someone is sneaky enough to get away with it. It may be true that people could get away with it if they are sneaky, but the point in having a law is to have a way of punishing people when you do catch them.

You seem to be missing the whole point of discrimination. Go back and research Jim Crow laws of the South and things like "whites only" businesses.

more of your bs comparisons
I said businesses do discriminate each and every day; they just cant OPENLY discriminate.
What I stated has nothing to do with murder robbery or now jim crow laws.

Ever rolled up on a restraint that closes in 10 min and the hostess tell you they are closed? To me that is no different than a baker telling you he cant get a cake to you on a specific date.
Both CAN be discrimination, they just cant legally tell you they wont serve you because of race color creed sexuality gender or whatever other term you like.

Again why you would choose to support those kinds of businesses I will never understand.

posted on May, 19 2016 @ 10:07 AM
link   

Businesses may discriminate, just not on certain basis, such as religion, skin color, sexual orientation. I have been kicked out of places for wearing a white t-shirt (apparently a local gang thing), some restaurants are black tie only, etc.

But thats not the point. The point is you made is seem in your first post that Republicans are going out of their way to start things with gays etc. I showed you it goes both ways. Apparently you only have a problem with one side though.

posted on May, 19 2016 @ 10:13 AM
link   

with HB2, it does seem like they are going out of their way to start hate and discrimination.

posted on May, 19 2016 @ 10:18 AM
link   

with HB2, it does seem like they are going out of their way to start hate and discrimination.

Knowing that hate crime legislation passed years ago, and exists today, can you please point out what part of HB2 goes out of it's way to promote hate and discrimination?

posted on May, 19 2016 @ 10:21 AM
link   
a reply to: network dude

sorry, if you cannot understand the whole issue then I cannot have an intelligent conversation with you

edit on 19-5-2016 by veracity because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2016 @ 10:22 AM
link   

Ya think?

Charlotte has a diverse population. They made a law that accommodated that diversity.

Making a state law denying the right of individual cities/counties to address their own specifics - - - - is a childish power trip.

Its like California denying San Francisco or West Hollywood the right to address their own specifics.

The Right loves to chant State Rights if it slams Obama. How is this different? Governor of NC denying cities/counties their rights?

posted on May, 19 2016 @ 10:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: shooterbrody

Again why you would choose to support those kinds of businesses I will never understand.

You don't choose to support them. You choose to STOP them from discriminating.
edit on 19-5-2016 by kaylaluv because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2016 @ 10:46 AM
link   

You don't choose to support them. You choose to STOP them.

lol stop them from doing what? You want to force them to take your money how is that stopping them? That is the opposite of stopping them.
"Sorry we can't make that happen for you today,perhaps you would like to try again tomorrow or next week or next year?" How do you plan on stopping that? You can not.

Your not one of those people naive enough to send food back at a diner are you?

posted on May, 19 2016 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Your not one of those people naive enough to send food back at a diner are you?

YELP

Yelp has put more then one business out of business.

posted on May, 19 2016 @ 10:50 AM
link   

Do you think people in the South were happy that the Jim Crow laws were banned? Do you think they were happy they had to allow blacks into their restaurants, hotels, and bathrooms? They were not happy AT ALL. Did they get over it eventually? Yep. Same will happen here.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join