It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The States Begin to Fight Obama’s Transgender “Guidance”

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on May, 18 2016 @ 01:04 PM
link   
In response to the Obama Administration's "letter" last week that outlines and stresses guidelines for schools to follow concerning Transgender Students, three States Attorneys General have sent a letter to the Department of Justice and the Department of Education.

They are asking for specific clarifications about the Title IX law "compliance" and how it pertains.

This is probably a prelude to the coming lawsuits that will be challenging Obama and DOJ and DOE.

The issue is not the merits of a "fair shake" for everybody, it's about whether any laws or court decisions actually exist that directly justify the Administration's recent push to make schools "comply".

The States Begin to Fight Obama’s Transgender “Guidance”

On Friday, the Obama Administration issued a sweeping transgender bathroom “guidance” to all public schools in the entire nation that receive federal funding. The “significant guidance,” which took the notorious form of a “dear colleague” letter, reflects the Obama Administration’s strained—and, indeed, actually implausible—reading of the Title IX text that wholesale substitutes “gender identity” for the statutory word, “sex.” The result of this bureaucratic overreach would be to “instruct” all public schools that students who self-identify as a member of the opposite sex ought to have unrestrained bathroom/locker room access of their choosing, and should presumptively (a rebuttable presumption, for you law types) be eligible for participation in the sports activities of one’s self-identified gender.

On Tuesday, the attorneys general of three states—Oklahoma, Texas, and West Virginia—penned a joint reply letter to the U.S. Departments of Education and Justice. (I expect Texas to write its own letter next week.) You can read the full letter here The letter seeks “clarification” from the feds on five distinct points:

Whether an entity receiving federal funding must follow the “significant guidance” in order to remain in compliance with Title IX and continue to receive any federal funding at all.

Whether all recipients of federal funding are legally bound to follow the federal government’s diktat to “treat a student’s gender identity as the student’s sex for purposes of Title IX and its implementing regulations.”

Whether there is actually any existing statute, regulation, or court decision—in other words, any legal justification at all—that mandates that schools “treat a student’s gender identity as the student’s sex for purposes of Title IX and its implementing regulations.”

Whether Title IX now requires that schools indeed administer their athletic programs according to each student’s subjective “internal sense of gender,” and whether schools are now barred from requiring any sort of objective verification of a student’s sex.

Whether a school may now require that a student use only the bathrooms and locker room for the gender with which the student identifies.

Prelude to Lawsuits

+11 more 
posted on May, 18 2016 @ 01:10 PM
link   
good for them. States determine their own policies, not a single man on a throne. I want to see more states jump on board.

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 01:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: AmericanRealist
good for them. States determine their own policies, not a single man on a throne. I want to see more states jump on board.

Portland, Oregon schools have had those bathrooms.......the students can't understand what the big deal is...
www.kgw.com...
takes a second or 2 to load

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 01:19 PM
link   
a reply to: jimmyx

Like AmericanRealist said it should be up to the states. That's great that it works in Portland but I doubt the "Hipster Capital" is a good example of how the rest of America feels.

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 01:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: AmericanRealist

You know, we actually fought a war over that idea, and we determined the States DO NOT determine their own policies when it comes to discrimination toward Americans. All men are created equal (even if they identify as a woman.) The "all men are not created equal" side lost, rather badly. No one is being forced by a single man or a king. It's the majority of Americans who think it's not okay to be a doucehbag to a fellow citizen. Sometimes, the Federal Gov't has to step in and say, okay now, we're getting near douchebag territory!

NC Bathroom Bill Poll

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 01:39 PM
link   
a reply to: SKMDC1

You know, we actually fought a war over that idea, and we determined the States DO NOT determine their own policies when it comes to discrimination toward Americans

I see some are still trying to compare apples to oranges.

So slavery is on the 'same' level as where someone takes a snip?

There is a plethora of differences.

Mainly because of the artificial means used to 'change' the body.

Compared someone being born with a DIFFERENT color of skin.
edit on 18-5-2016 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 01:43 PM
link   
I think everyone should be able to use whatever bathroom they want.

Imagine, if everyone in America just used the "other" bathroom for a day.

Either way, it'd settle the argument we have going on with this.

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 01:49 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

I think Texas is in the middle of doing that now, hope they get a move on.

Here is a novel thought, ban anyone in question of the proper room from using any of them that is not unisex. Problem solved, gender solvent people of a non-confused nature go where the plumbing in their pants dictates and the rest you the crapper in the closet.

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 02:00 PM
link   

As a high school kid, I couldn't imagine how cool it would be to walk into the girls locker room during shower time. I guess we will soon find out. Pucker up buttercup, all these kids need to do is say they identify as a woman today, and POOF*, free pass. Yea, this can't miss.

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 02:02 PM
link   
a reply to: network dude

That's next.

Now that people have to pay for new rest room constructions.

We get to pay for new shower room constructions.

For a bunch of KIDS that ain't even out of puberty yet.

Makes 'perfect' sense doesn't it?

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 02:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: network dude

As a high school kid, I couldn't imagine how cool it would be to walk into the girls locker room during shower time. I guess we will soon find out. Pucker up buttercup, all these kids need to do is say they identify as a woman today, and POOF*, free pass. Yea, this can't miss.

Just make all bathrooms all locker rooms unisex.

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 02:09 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

sure. I'm all for it. I honestly am not worried about who pees where. But for some odd reason, all of the sudden, a certain group seems to be really, really worried about this.

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 02:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bennyzilla

Like AmericanRealist said it should be up to the states. That's great that it works in Portland but I doubt the "Hipster Capital" is a good example of how the rest of America feels.

"hipster capital"????....are people still using that phrase?.....maybe those people up there treat this as what it is...no big deal...they worked through it. on the other hand you have the conservative states and their conservative governments predicting rampant child rape.....

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 02:12 PM
link   
a reply to: network dude

a certain group seems to be really, really worried about this.

That's cuz they are trying to DEFLECT from the Clinton criminal investigation.

What better way than to manufacture an 'issue' that really only amounts to a statistically NIHL voter. If they even vote at all.

Since most people in this country don't.
edit on 18-5-2016 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 02:14 PM
link   

maybe those Portland, Oregon kids can educate you, as soon as they quit laughing.

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 02:16 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

I'm sure it's largely manufactured outrage, not sure of the real reason yet. It's the kind of thing that brings a key difference between the parties out in the open. Family values vs. LGBT equality. It's a shame this was started as a war, rather than a discussion. But then, nobody in war ever seems interested in talking until they have their ass handed to them and are about to be killed.

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 02:17 PM
link   

I do love to be educated.

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 02:26 PM
link   

a reply to: DBCowboy

sure. I'm all for it. I honestly am not worried about who pees where. But for some odd reason, all of the sudden, a certain group seems to be really, really worried about this.

That's what I mean.

Call their bluff.

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Pucker up buttercup, all these kids need to do is say they identify as a woman today, and POOF*, free pass. Yea, this can't miss.

Nope, not how it works at all.

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 02:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

Just make all bathrooms all locker rooms unisex.

But I don't identify as unisex. Unicorns don't exist and I don't want to live celibate.

Besides ... I think the surgery to have a cow or goat horn implanted in my forehead so my outward appearance could reflect my inner identity might be painful and the sort of thing I might only find in sketchy Latin American countries done my surgeons named Pablo.
edit on 18-5-2016 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join