It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Moon Landing Hoax | "Moon Buggy" LRV is a Willys Jeep

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 04:08 PM
link   
This thread neatly illustrates a core concept I have tried to follow my whole life: belief makes people dumb.

This principal definitely holds true here. When someone who isn't terribly invested in an idea or concept sees evidence, they work backwards from their initial reaction, trying to see how it all fits. In this case, that kind of process immediately brings us to the notion that "when designing a lightweight moon buggy, it is probably best to start with a proven chassis and drive-train.

Where believers go wrong is they see a single anomalous piece of data (Hey! This moon buggy looks like a XXX!) and immediately form a conclusion. It is ironic that "not being invested" protects against erroneous conclusions, but it is nonetheless true in most cases.

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 04:15 PM
link   
Thanks to those of you who read more than the title of the thread before posting your brilliant replies!

Here is an interesting and informative document that gives a very complete history of the LRV provided by NASA.

A Brief History of the Lunar Roving Vehicle

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 04:17 PM
link   
a reply to: 0zzymand0s

General Motors did take part in the design process as can be found in the document that I just linked to in the previous post- does it seem so crazy that they wouldn't draw upon pre-exiting plans/dimensions from proven vehicles to help create the prototype version?
edit on 5182016 by seattlerat because: (no reason given)

edit on 5182016 by seattlerat because: good grief i can't type today

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 04:26 PM
link   

show me a jeep that folds up

Jeep Folding Technology

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 04:35 PM
link   
a reply to: seattlerat

Nope. It makes perfect sense that they would use an existing and proven design.

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 04:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: argentus
So..... it ends up looking like every other stripped-down version of a vehicle. the video. Doesn't at all seem conclusive to me.

That's the whole point of the crazy video...look at the same guys second (different) video I posted above, it explains all if you didn't pick it up in the first video.
The guy in the video want's all and sundry to believe that what you are seeing is an actual JEEP exactly as the army would use, doors, windows windscreen/shield, etc except that film SFX has disguised it...he doesn't want you to believe it's a stripped down vehicle at all...video man is crazy, you'll even hear him saying he doesn't know how they did the SFX on the wheel articulation.....!

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 04:41 PM
link   
Fifty years from now , some will say the ISS was a CGI model , discussing and showing us how weird the canadarm turned picking up satellites, saying that falcon 9 was a reversed video landed on a sea platform and Neil Armstrong a Madame Tussaud fictional waxed doll ...

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 04:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Misinformation

Thanks for posting the link describing the Jeep (general term for 4x4 vehicle) that folded up into a box- it should also be pointed out that the windshields on many models of the Wrangler folded down so you could inhale insects as you drive!

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 04:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: seattlerat
a reply to: 0zzymand0s

General Motors did take part in the design process as can be found in the document that I just linked to in the previous post- does it seem so crazy that they wouldn't draw upon pre-exiting plans/dimensions from proven vehicles to help create the prototype version?

Yes, well I was going to say that JEEP wasn't a GM vehicle at any time....but that's all pretty moot anyway.

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 06:06 PM
link   
a reply to: smurfy

I see. So if an overlay of a system can be made to correlate in any way, it is valid. I agree with you. It's a poor fit.

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 06:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: 0zzymand0s
This thread neatly illustrates a core concept I have tried to follow my whole life: belief makes people dumb.

This principal definitely holds true here. When someone who isn't terribly invested in an idea or concept sees evidence, they work backwards from their initial reaction, trying to see how it all fits. In this case, that kind of process immediately brings us to the notion that "when designing a lightweight moon buggy, it is probably best to start with a proven chassis and drive-train.

Where believers go wrong is they see a single anomalous piece of data (Hey! This moon buggy looks like a XXX!) and immediately form a conclusion. It is ironic that "not being invested" protects against erroneous conclusions, but it is nonetheless true in most cases.

Yes , this is an example of the "Wizard's First Rule" . Ask Zed.
Peace.

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 06:14 PM
link   
a reply to: seattlerat

Boeing engineers might have had some inspirations of the jeep when designing it, but I have printed out some of the actual blueprints for that lunar rover when I worked at Boeing and saw myself that every single detail part, sub assembly, and the final assembly were all designed and made at Boeing. I wanted to take those big drawings home, but they don't allow it, and I would have had to steal them to get them, which I just wouldn't do, but it really cool to see the drawings.
It looked like a one of a kind design when looking at the drawings to me. NASA likely had their own people there at Boeing when it was being built, so they likely had a lot of influence on the design obviously as well. When I saw the main master assembly drawing, I never thought about a jeep, it looked much more unique, at least on paper as engineering drawings.
edit on 18-5-2016 by NoCorruptionAllowed because: added

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 07:18 PM
link   
Someone should fly to the moon and recover it and put it on Ebay .What would something like that go for I wonder ?

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 07:32 PM
link   
Those old Willys are bad ass.
I've rolled one down a creek bank and kept on truckin' like it was nothing.
They would probably work on the moon just fine.

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 10:22 PM
link   
The early flat fender jeeps were not used extensively in the Vietnam War. The Korean War yes, but when the Vietnam War came around, they were the M151 or mutt as they were called. Also, the older willys didn't have independent suspension like the moon buggy. The M151 did have four wheel independent suspension like the buggy. I could see the M151 being used as a model for it, but definitely not a willys jeep.

posted on May, 19 2016 @ 01:05 AM
link   
a reply to: smurfy

lol... this guy has managed to top HIMSELF for "nuttiest goddamn thing i've seen all week". Holy christ..

He demonstrates that he knows f**k all about cars, engineering, film editing, and the space program. Yet he gets on camera, and talks about these things as if he is some kind of authority.

It's hilarious, some of the outright nutty things he's saying. If he'd bothered doing ANY research at all, maybe he could come up with something that made sense.

Now, i'm gonna say that i'm open to ANY logical, well researched, fact-based argument on ANY subject...because, who knows; maybe we actually ARE being lied to about certain things... But this guy, man... holy hell, is he ever " 'round the bend".
edit on 5-19-2016 by Daedalus because: spelling

posted on May, 19 2016 @ 01:07 AM
link   
a reply to: troyof69

A Willys was the first car I ever drove.
Very easy clutch.

posted on May, 19 2016 @ 01:07 AM
link   
a reply to: grey580

::poke::

Actually, it was me... but it's not a big deal.

Bottom line: the guy doing the video is certifiably barking mad.

Actually reminds me of one of the members here, who says insane things....he's got a youtube channel as well....with just over 300k subscribers.

What the frig even is youtube anymore?
edit on 5-19-2016 by Daedalus because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2016 @ 11:14 AM
link   
So i decided to left a comment on one of this dude's videos....and he replied.. It's a bit like talking to a brain-dead brick wall.

posted on May, 21 2016 @ 10:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Misterlondon
So the moon buggy is similar to a Willys Jeep.. And how exactly does this debunk the moon landings.

It doesn't, nor does it underline that we went. Its an interesting spin on things.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join