It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

1950: Ozark caves eyed for secret hydrogen bomb plant

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 11:41 AM
link   
I stumbled across some fascinating newspaper articles from the 1950s discussing the federal government's interest in building a hydrogen bomb facility in the caves of the Ozarks. One of the articles explains the intent is to put the plant inside the Ouachita or Ozark National forests.

One of the reasons I found this information significant is the revelation the federal government looked at using a National park for a secret nuclear program. Is this the first proof our National parks could be used for more than recreation?

I just got off the phone with a commercial cave operator in the area who said along the Buffalo National River alone, there are only 2 caves that remain open out of 700, all closed by the federal government under the auspice of protecting caves from the White Nose bat fungus.

Links to screenshots of the newspaper articles:

1. Tackett says state to get H-bomb plant- Hope Star, August 26 1950
files.abovetopsecret.com... (part 1)
files.abovetopsecret.com... (part 2)

2. Choice of H-Bomb site narrows to three- The Evening Independent, August 16, 1950
files.abovetopsecret.com...

3. Ozark cave discussed as H-bomb refuge- St. Petersburg Times, March 22, 1950

4. "Not enough caves" by editor Alex Washburn. Arkansas Hope Star, August 19, 1950

I hope you find this as interesting as I did.

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 07:02 PM
link   
a reply to: CharlieAtTheGap

I grew up in this area...extremely weird stuff a going down in them thar woods. Dead cows in the tops of trees. Silver triangles landing in fields everywhere... Those cave complexes are super vast and deep, there are so many crazy stories about giant aliens, snakes, and Atlanteans I've heard from old Masons in the area. Been in the military now for 21+ years...truth is stranger than fiction 1000%!

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 08:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: IridescentPhoenix

I grew up in this area...extremely weird stuff a going down in them thar woods. Dead cows in the tops of trees. Silver triangles landing in fields everywhere... Those cave complexes are super vast and deep, there are so many crazy stories about giant aliens, snakes, and Atlanteans I've heard from old Masons in the area. Been in the military now for 21+ years...truth is stranger than fiction 1000%!

Anything to back any of that up? Links?

posted on May, 21 2016 @ 09:06 AM
link   
a reply to: Blueracer

Nope.

posted on May, 21 2016 @ 09:16 AM
link   
a reply to: IridescentPhoenix

I figured. I asked anyway.

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 05:36 PM
link   

My favorite episode of Conspiracy Theory dealt with the Ozarks. It said the Ozarks were a stronghold built by Nature with plenty of wildlife and freshwater sources; not to mention the maze of caves. It was the perfect place for a Deep Underground Military Base like the Hive from Resident Evil. D.U.M.Bs are spread all throughout the country and interconnected by underground high speed maglev trains capable of exceeding Mach 2, but that deserves a thread to itself. We may know that Sam is there in the area, but I believe we're only scratching the surface of the truth of the Ozarks. Who knows what's really going on out there.

Here is the OP to the ATS thread dedicated to the Ozarks and it's episode on conspiracy theory. The whole thread is a good read.

originally posted on Nov 27, 2012 by: hounddoghowlie
i was just surfing the tube, and came across, Jesse Ventura Conspiracy Theory show.it was about the strange goings on in the ozrak mo. now i like jesse, but i'm not a big fan of his show. it reminds me of all the syfy shows, that prove absolutly nothing exstits, or they mock and make fun of the subject. shows like, fact or fake, desation truth, and ghost hunters. i could go on raggin on these shows but i think most folks know what i mean.anyway i don't normally watch his show, but i heard illuminati, and i had to stop to watch.the jest of the show was that the iIlluminati have set up shop in the ozarks. building all kinds of underground cities and a influx of banks. this from the fan site

Conspiracy Theory – Season 3, Episode 7: “Ozarks” Dec. 19 at 10 pm ET on truTV! Could the end of days truly be upon us? Members of the international elite – including the Illuminati – seem to think so, and have chosen the Ozark Mountain region of the United States to hide out from the apocalypse. The Conspiracy Theory team finds what appears to be construction on underground cities hidden in mountain caverns and tunnels, blocking off formerly public entrances with iron bars and heavy security. An apparent influx of banks in the rural region also seems suspect, but when they hear about round the clock construction on the biggest private house in America, reportedly built entirely of military grade materials and owned by a D.C. defense contractor, Jesse suspects something big may be happening here – just below the surface.
i don't know whats up with the air date it was on tonight.what really stood our for me is this pensmore mansion. they kept going on about it being a headquarters for the illuminati, and how it was almost nuke proof. i didn't pay real close attention to the show as i wanted to see if i could find any info on it on the web.the owner of the mansion is a former army intel officer, cia officer and owner of a software company that produce software for the U.S. govt. as best as i can tell he is also into the "green" construction business. i found pictures and a wiki entry see below.i wanted to find it on google earth, and go back to 2008 and see if maybe they might have blacked it out. but i'm not real good on google earth coordinates for it are searchPensmoreGeneral informationLocation 2700 Woods Fork Road, Highlandville, MissouriCoordinates 36°52′47″N 93°12′45″WCoordinates: 36°52′47″N 93°12′45″Wpictures of pensmore on google images, the first half are of pensmore, they look just the ones in the show.Pensmorewiki linkPensmoreand reading the wiki, this stood out to me.

Additionally, the rural location in Highlandville was known for lack of construction regulation. The project is not subject to building regulations or building inspections, which would have complicated construction efforts.
there seems to be something about it falling into a sink hole, if you follow the link in the thrid picture, it has a news article about it. will check some more, but i cant see them airing the show if it sunk, with out saying so. but who knows.another thing that stood out was how that formally open caves in the area have been sealed off with iron bars.there are also underground cities throughout the ozarks. jesse and his crew went through one and said something about the rail road tracks, and when they came out the other side there was a rail freight yard there with a fleet of "green" cars and buses. i've seen something some where about the cities some where, i just can't place it.they also so mentioned earthquakes in the area, i don,t remember the numbers exactly but i think they said something like in 2008 there were 36 and in 2011 738 i can't quote it but it was something like that.i got to say what i did see between my searches did make me wonder, and it wouldn't even surprise me. if their speculation turned out to be true. so there you go, tell what you think.

Does hounddoghowlie need: Spellcheck or a Dictionary?

edit on 6112016 by MayanBoricua because: Mistakes Were Made

posted on Jun, 17 2016 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Firstly, in 1950 nobody had a workable version of a hydrogen bomb.

The requirement for an enormous amount of power gives it away: this was for the gaseous diffusion plants for the enrichment of Uranium. This is not a specific H-bomb requirement as uranium can be used in both fission and multi-stage fission/fusion weapons.

The eventual production was done at three locations, the first one is the K-25 site in the Oak Ridge complex, then plants in Paducah, Kentucky, and Portsmouth, Ohio. During the 1950's these plants consumed a notable fraction of the electricity production of the U.S.

Highly enriched uranium is used in nuclear weapons and naval nuclear reactors.

The closest match to a "H-bomb" plant is the Y-12 area in Oak Ridge. This is a much smaller plant where the specific fusion secondaries (which include both fusion and fission parts) and their materials (e.g. isotopically enriched lithium deuteride, plus various other still classified magic materials & devices) were produced. The design & manufacturing techniques of the secondaries & interstage remains the most secret part of nuclear weapons production and there is little reliable open literature.

top topics

join