It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tiny Homes for the Homeless Now Under Attack in California

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+6 more 
posted on May, 18 2016 @ 11:16 AM
link   
They claim they are safety hazards, as if living on the street is safe!

Personal liberty is under attack in so many areas of American society, and combined with a faltering economy, people are in greater need than ever of finding ways to survive economically while still maintaining basic freedoms.”

The tiny house movement is one of the many creative ways in which people are out-smarting the matrix of consumerism and debt. Recently, however, we reported on the federal government’s attempts through the Department of Housing and Urban Development to make owning and living in a tiny home more difficult for those who wish to do so.

Case in point: California, where Los Angeles city council member Curren Price recently requested that sanitation officials confiscate and destroy a number of tiny homes owned by homeless people.

Is this really a safety issue, societal problem, or just a small deal?

Naturally these little homes aren’t your best choice but is the government really after the best interest of the people or just eager to maintain a society of debt slaves and afraid of this novel independent idea?

Tiny homes for the homeless are an idea started by long-time L.A. resident Elvis Summers who wanted to help a 60-year-old homeless neighbor who was always sleeping in the dirt. The movement has been gaining momentum in the L.A. area as way to extend compassion to the city’s least fortunate. Hundreds of thousands of dollars have been donated to this effort, and dozens of tiny homes have been built and donated by caring residents who have worked hard to see to it that the most downtrodden in their communities have some type of basic shelter.

Read More...

edit on 18-5-2016 by Willtell because: (no reason given)

+1 more 
posted on May, 18 2016 @ 11:25 AM
link   
Anything less than total control is unacceptable to the collection of goons that run this joke of a nation. Things like People caring for one another, and honesty, or let's just say goodness in general is bad for business.

+7 more 
posted on May, 18 2016 @ 11:25 AM
link   
a reply to: Willtell

Just like feeding the homeless is now a crime in many places....

Disgusting

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 11:28 AM
link   
Willtell

Damn the monsters trying to end this program. You can't feed the homeless you can't even home the homeless.

What the hell kind of Bizzarro Earth did I wander into?

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 11:29 AM
link   

A lot of the time their real concern is that the homes don't hook up to local utilities and therefore they can't charge them for gas, water, electric, ect.

We don't want people living in homes the state doesn't make any money off of you know?

Back to the streets with them.

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 11:31 AM
link   

This happens a lot, I remember this story from last year in Denver area www.abovetopsecret.com...

Putting spikes under bridges and places where homeless would otherwise try to sleep... they are getting crafty with it.

The important thing is to make sure the permitting and everything has been squared away so these helpful projects can be a success

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 11:35 AM
link   

I am not a bit surprised by this action at all.Those in charge want to make
the less fortunate as uncomfortable and easier to pick up when the bottom
falls out. In my opinion,the homeless will be the first people to be sent to
Fema camps.

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 11:37 AM
link   
I find the title of the source material to be a bit of hyperbole but ATS has it's rules so I understand why people follow them.

Its a tough call..
A better move would be to find a location outside of a city streets and move the tiny homes there.

I know some people on ATS seem to have this belief that being homeless means you are just a struggling person that is noble , clean and in general better then any professional or successful person but the reality of that is much different. Additionally people just saying "well im going to set my tiny home up where ever I want" doesnt work for a multitude of reasons. Look no farther than the pic in the source and see an example of a situation that shouldnt be allowed to continue. As a home owner why would I want to look out my window every day and see another persons tiny home at my curb? Again, I am not saying destroy them but rather find another location to centralize all of them but I just dont agree with the idea that they go anywhere.

It's a complex equation and because of the randomness of how homeless people respond their probably isn't one right or wrong answer

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 11:37 AM
link   

Just curious about two things after reading the article....

1) It said that the units come with lights. Are these battery powered or hard wired? If hard wired, where are they getting the electric from?

2) Where are these tiny homes being placed?

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Naturally these little homes aren’t your best choice but is the government really after the best interest of the people or just eager to maintain a society of debt slaves and afraid of this novel independent idea? 

I'd go with the latter.

Control everything you can and when you can't, pass more laws.

California in a nutshell.

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 11:43 AM
link   

there are always going to be assholes out there pagesix.com...

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 11:45 AM
link   
OP, you're an extreme hypocrite. No one is stopping you from going to Home Depot and buying a bunch of cheap sheds, putting them in your front yard, and inviting local homeless people to call them home.

Or -- are the obvious shenanigans and loss of life savings that would ensue only for other people to deal with, and not for you in your safe, clean ivory tower?

Typical liberal.. look down at the common man trying to protect himself and walling yourself away from any personal responsibility at the same time. Like the Pope criticizing Trump's wall but living inside of a walled city himself.
edit on 5/18/16 by RedDragon because: (no reason given)

edit on 5/18/16 by RedDragon because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 11:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: opethPA
I find the title of the source material to be a bit of hyperbole but ATS has it's rules so I understand why people follow them.

Its a tough call..
A better move would be to find a location outside of a city streets and move the tiny homes there.

I know some people on ATS seem to have this belief that being homeless means you are just a struggling person that is noble , clean and in general better then any professional or successful person but the reality of that is much different. Additionally people just saying "well im going to set my tiny home up where ever I want" doesnt work for a multitude of reasons. Look no farther than the pic in the source and see an example of a situation that shouldnt be allowed to continue. As a home owner why would I want to look out my window every day and see another persons tiny home at my curb? Again, I am not saying destroy them but rather find another location to centralize all of them but I just dont agree with the idea that they go anywhere.

It's a complex equation and because of the randomness of how homeless people respond their probably isn't one right or wrong answer

Yeah, this is a complex issue. The meme kicked around on here that the homeless are just a bunch of people down on their luck is just liberal propaganda. People who are just down on their luck rarely stay homeless for any length of time. The issue is the chronically homeless who are overwhelmingly severe drug addicts and/or a few screws loose mentally. No amount of compassion, tiny homes, food banks, and spare change is ever going to get these people off the streets. Unless we are willing to advocate government forcibly remove these people from the streets and put them in a loony hospital, there will always be homeless on the streets.

As a homeowner, I'd be pissed if some homeless guy put his little tiny house at my curb. At the same time, I don't know that creating some tiny house FEMA camp for homeless people is a good idea either. They have tent cities under bridges in many cities and they are no place anyone wants to be.

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 11:48 AM
link   

My fear is one day the elite may have us all in these little box homes living like human rats...

Once they get their mass robotics in line we may be all doomed to this

IF this NWO theory is fact( and it looks like a fact more every day) I think this is our future

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 11:50 AM
link   
the problem is sanitation and the laws that are on the books regarding them. they need to be reworked to accommodate these little houses being built in differing neighborhoods.....maybe dialing it back a little, and trying to work it out in a sane and thoughtful manner is the best solution.....but, even a "sane and thoughtful" approach, doesn't even work here on ATS some of the times, let alone in the BIG EGO world of politics

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 11:53 AM
link   
I think that, almost by definition, if someone is homeless they need some kind of help.

Either they have (a) simply fallen on hard times (lost a job/house), (b) escaped from an abusive home life but had no means to support themselves when they got away, (c) have severe substance abuse problems, (d) or have mental health issues that are not conducive to holding down a job, looking after themselves and maintaining a home.

In each of these cases there is an obvious solution;

a) temporary emergency housing for people and families who have no family support system, or other immediate means to have shelter while they are getting back on their feet (with job training or other re-employment assistance programs in concert)
b) temporary emergency shelters for women (and their children) and youth in crisis...with pathway programs leading to living an independent life
c) hospitalization, and other rehab programs, designed to release them from their addictions (and likely associated conditions)...and help them to find their place in the world as "clean and sober" individuals
d) short, medium or long-term hospitalization (or other care) to deal with their conditions...which may, or may not, be solvable.

To provide tiny homes, set randomly about on streets, parking lots or vacant spaces, to people who are otherwise incapable of looking after themselves is almost no solution at all. I have no doubt that, for these unfortunate people, one or more of the following outcomes will result:

1) the tiny house will fall into disrepair and will be abandoned
2) they will be forced out of the home by other homeless people (in a repeating cycle), or other people in the neighbourhood
3) they will burn the place down...or otherwise render it unusable...inadvertently

I applaud people for wanting to help those less fortunate, and for putting their money where their heart is - but how about doing something that will help raise these folks up and out of their perpetual misery...instead of trying to put a tiny four walled band-aid on their real issues?

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 11:53 AM
link   
If this is an issue with the super powers then it is that it might snowball into something big.

And if they want control

The secret is that the only way out of control is inner control of yourself

It may be a spiritual question rather than a sociological or political one

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 11:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: eluryh22

Just curious about two things after reading the article....

1) It said that the units come with lights. Are these battery powered or hard wired? If hard wired, where are they getting the electric from?

2) Where are these tiny homes being placed?

I wonder too where they put these little homes. I'm sure home owners wouldn't want these boxes near their homes.

I know in Japan they put them in apartments like chicken coups...

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 11:55 AM
link   
a reply to: RedDragon

Come on man. Must EVERYTHING be liberal or conservative?

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 11:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bennyzilla

A lot of the time their real concern is that the homes don't hook up to local utilities and therefore they can't charge them for gas, water, electric, ect.

We don't want people living in homes the state doesn't make any money off of you know?

Back to the streets with them.

you want to see small homes with freedom!...go to the ghettos in Mumbai, or Calcutta, India.....their sanitation is not under control by the government at all....see how that is working out for those freedom-loving people.....

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join