It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Unreasonable Bosses

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 08:43 AM
link   
a reply to: berenike

As a boss, I can tell you that we always care about the well being of our slaves. . er. . . underlings. . . . you know, those people whom we have to pay.

We are always kind, caring, considerate, and limit the beatings when we can because we have big hearts.

I keep my big hearts in jars on my desk as a warning.

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 08:52 AM
link   
a reply to: Krakatoa

Some people in authority really do show themselves up with the inadequacies they think their elevated positions hide.

I'm glad you had someone to go to who would listen to you. So many times employees have nobody to report bad bosses to or their complaints don't get heeded.

It's very sad, though, that you have that lingering memory making what was a difficult time for you even worse.

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 08:52 AM
link   
I used to work in a greenhouse in a city halfway up the Queensland coast.

The boss was an old polish ass, after working for the company for more than 3 years, I walked away from him one day and swore under my breath, as he wouldn't listen to a suggestion on a better way to handle the duties of the team on that particular day.

He called me back for it and reprimanded me for swearing. For the first and only time in my life, I snapped.

"I work in a effing hot greenhouse all day, if you want to sack me for effing swearing, be my effing guest" That was the end of that.

I am now self employed and can make a solid 6 figures a year. Never looked back.

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 08:58 AM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Limit the beatings? Well, you do know how to take all the fun out of a working day.

Talking of hearts, I took the boss's dog out for a walk and the little dustbin started to eat some offal she'd found on the ground.

Distraught, I collected up the stuff and took it back for the boss to deal with. I was anticipating the dog getting hauled off to the vet.

Not so. The boss said 'They're hearts' and cooked them for the dog. Thank goodness there were no ill effects.

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Nice thread.

Our big boss at work has a short temper. I know when he is about to explode. His face turns beet red and his eyes glass over. Last week I messed up on a set. He went crazy on me for five min. After that we are friends again. He blows his lid and moves on. My boss cannot help himself. He knows his temper is like a volcano.

He understands that snip happens in our line of work. Just like everyone else. We do get yell at quite often.

When i screw up I go straight to the boss and tell him what happened. I get yelled at. Fix the problem. Boss is happy. Last week he even thanked me for telling him about the screw up, then yelled at me.

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 10:36 AM
link   

In my opinion, the difference between a good boss and a bad boss is in realizing that you are not smarter than your employees and maybe they are the ones who have better ideas.

I've been both.

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 10:41 AM
link   
I was called into my managers office, the reason I don't recall, he was getting nowhere in his talk with me, I guess. So he gets up, walks down to the owners office. They talk a while, than I get called in. The conversation I had with the owner had nothing to do with what my manager and I were talking about. He started badgering me about time I had missed 6 months before. I explained that my Grandfather had died and I needed to be with my Father. Mind you I only missed half a day. He says "Well, what good would that do?". Then he brings up three days I missed in the same period. I explained that I had the flu. He continued on and on. I lost interest and stopped paying attention. Half a year later, while sick in the hospital, I get a letter from the owner stating that they hoped I was getting better. The attached page said if I didn't return by a certain date that I would be "voluntarily resigning". I just laughed. Well, I "voluntarily resigned". Life is much better now. Some people think that because they pay you for YOUR TIME that they own you.

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 10:57 AM
link   
a reply to: FlyingWhale

Oh you just reminded me of the time I was sick with the flu over the Christmas holidays.

Bear in mind I never took off a sick day, I always managed to be ill over holidays and weekends.

Anyway, the boss phoned up and demanded to know when I would be better and back at work.

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 11:06 AM
link   
a reply to: [post=20741314]berenike[/post. 'Cause we always know when our sickness will go away. Lol!

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 11:25 AM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

In all seriousness where my boss had it right was that she knew how to tell you exactly what she wanted. Well, her manner left a lot to be desired but if you know precisely what someone wants you're in with a chance of getting something done.

I think some bosses fall down because they don't have a clear idea of what they want or they can't convey to the workers what they want.

They don't always know what is and isn't possible, either. That's where they need to listen.

My boss, unfortunately, wouldn't always leave a person to get on with the job they were qualified for. She'd stand over them and try and micro-manage.

I was writing up the books one day, trying to concentrate, and she stood practically on top of me and complained because she didn't like my telephone cable being tangled. She then proceeded to demonstrate how to untangle it and fully expected me to stop what I was doing to pay attention.

She was good at listening to ideas, though

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 12:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: berenike

She used to spend a lot of time moaning about other people and tried her utmost to get me to join in. If I responded I'd usually try to talk her down by defending the other person and pointing out they probably hadn't been deliberately annoying. That wasn't good enough. She actually said that since I was in her home, being paid, I should agree with her.

Once or twice I broke under pressure and did added something to the conversation to back her up, but I soon learnt the error of my ways. As soon as I'd finished speaking she'd be straight on the phone to tell anyone who'd listen what a bastard so-an-so was and that I agreed with her. Since most of the people she complained about were her best friends and family it was hugely embarrassing.

There was one couple, who had never been anything but polite and friendly towards me who, according to her, I hated.

Well I have had similar managers and they were all women who appeared to share some similarities. I would often have to align with here if she disliked someone on the team or in the office...it was a lot of people. I do believe this is a character flow most evident by the female gender...boo if you like but all the guys I have worked with have never tried to pull me to their corner when it come to judging people..

I work in a female dominated work site and it seems for some reason that the women tend to get along better with men when but when their is an all female work group it's not long before they come in and talk about their teammates..

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 02:00 PM
link   
I've had quite a few of them. One job I had there was a boss who was so petty that if she would get mad at an employee she'd turn up the conveyor belt that took parts into the brazing oven so that whoever was running it had to work twice as fast to keep up. It often ruined the parts and of course the employee got in trouble for it. I also blame her for my shoulders being messed up. Despite repeated visits to a doctor and medical papers brought back, she kept putting me on machines she knew were causing the damage. She said, "Either you do it or you quit."

Another boss I had always called everyone racist (she was black) and all the while ranted about the white POSes who worked under her. She often rode my back for no reason. I did my work and I did it well. I got even by talking her into vomiting. Yes, I talked to her until she got sick. It's a talent.

At another job, I was promoted to manager. I didn't want it but they talked me into it, promising I'd get training. My "training" consisted of riding around with a supervisor while she gabbed on the phone. No training, in other words. I was constantly getting yelled at for messing up. If I'd had training in the first place I wouldn't have.

There are others but I don't feel like listing them.

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 04:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Skid Mark

There are others but I don't feel like listing them.

Perhaps you'll feel like posting some more later.

I've been finding this very therapeutic although I was shocked to hear what others have had to put up with.

I hope it's helping people to come in here and unload.

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 05:06 PM
link   
This thread hits close to home. A couple of years ago I got a new boss. It started with her and a more senior manager giving me contradictory instructions and unreasonable deadlines.

Everything I did seemed to be picked on - it felt personal. It culminated in being pulled up for leaving at 3.15pm to nip home even tho I returned to work at 4pm in prep for an event running from 5.30pm to 10pm. I had started at 8am and was under the impression my day was done at 3.15pm - I teach so hours are a funny thing and generally most teachers work until around 6/7pm even though they could finish earlier. I explained the situation and said I thought that since the event didn't start until 5.30pm I was free to go and take care of business. I asked what time I was actually allowed to leave at and the other manager, along with Dragon Lady, couldn't tell me but that being a middle leader there were expectations (I don't get the same wage as other middle leaders). I also mentioned that I would be staying until 10pm that very night for a second time that week (we don't get overtime or time back) so I really couldn't see what the problem was and felt it was reasonable.

It may seem petty but lots of small things lumped on top of each other day after day really got to me. She would tell me to shut up, waggle her finger in my face and shout at me. They would come in around 4pm and say they wanted something preparing for the next morning which inevitably meant working all evening on it. They would set meetings for after school at 5/6pm knowing I wouldn't say no. They both had me in tears on numerous occasions although they weren't aware of it. I was at the end of my tether.

Dragon Lady started in the July and I went off in the November with stress and anxiety. I had an excellent attendance record prior to that and had never had a Dr's note before this point in 17 years in the job. I eventually came back in the January and aired my grievances with my union rep present. Things improved but to be quite honest both of them intimidate the crap out of me. I only answer to DL now.

The Dragon was brought in for strategic planning whilst I manage a team of 40 and deal with the day to day operations and running of the department as well as my teaching load.

To cut a long story short, I am constantly on my guard and paranoid about cocking up. I know for a fact she lies and manipulates situations. She has made others' lives hell and had complaints made about her to HR. She has no idea how to speak to people and until I met her I had never EVER been spoken to like she has.

On the upside I have definitely developed thicker skin and am stronger but I am ALWAYS watching my back. I have the expertise in the area and I know she says she has done all these related jobs but her knowledge base is poor and she seems to make stuff up to fit into her end game.

She's on the senior management team now which means she's in the inner circle. If they want you out it's a done deal. The weird thing is, I actually think she likes me and/or needs my knowledge. I would hate to see how she manages someone she doesn't like - although I have had glimpses of what a REAL cowbag she can be when she doesn't like someone.

Thanks for the thread it's been very cathartic having a moan.

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 05:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Scallywwagg

I truly hope it is cathartic.

I am actually worried about a couple of people and the appalling stress they are under. I am not qualified to help and it's obvious the best solution would be to leave the job if only their finances allowed.

If anyone wants to have another go at complaining please do. There are no limits, I've got a few more moans to get off my chest and I'm not holding back

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 05:30 PM
link   

Did you notice most bosses are women?

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 05:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Quantum12

Diplomacy is my middle name

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 05:39 PM
link   

I have a girl boss and a man boss! She is the kindest person ever.

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 05:40 PM
link   
My boss often wouldn't be properly dressed when I arrived in the morning. She was not small but sadly her kimono was.

Talking to her was bad enough, I'd sit opposite and try not to look but if you're talking to someone occasionally you have to look at them. And that would be the point where she'd rather defensively pull the kimono around her, making me feel like a deviant.

More awkward was that the office was at the top of a flight of stairs and she'd be sitting near the doorway facing me as I walked up. How careful I was to keep my head down.

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 05:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Quantum12

They're playing good cop bad cop with you

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join