It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Unreasonable Bosses

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 06:31 AM
link   
We've probably all worked for an unreasonable boss at some time and (I'm hoping) will have many a tale to tell.

Here's your chance to share. Let's keep it light if we can. The boss I'm about to complain about did have a more generous side but the way she used to carry on in front of me beggars belief.

First off, she used to spend a lot of time away leaving me on my own at work (not complaining about that). Worried that I might miss important phone calls from clients, she insisted that I should take the phone into the bathroom with me if I needed a comfort break. I insisted that I would do no such thing.

She used to spend a lot of time moaning about other people and tried her utmost to get me to join in. If I responded I'd usually try to talk her down by defending the other person and pointing out they probably hadn't been deliberately annoying. That wasn't good enough. She actually said that since I was in her home, being paid, I should agree with her.

Once or twice I broke under pressure and did added something to the conversation to back her up, but I soon learnt the error of my ways. As soon as I'd finished speaking she'd be straight on the phone to tell anyone who'd listen what a bastard so-an-so was and that I agreed with her. Since most of the people she complained about were her best friends and family it was hugely embarrassing.

There was one couple, who had never been anything but polite and friendly towards me who, according to her, I hated.

I'll probably think of a lot more later but for now I'll end on an ewwwwwwwww.

One day I was unsuspectingly riffling through a filing tray and there, among the documents, was a full sample bottle.

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 06:39 AM
link   
a reply to: berenike

I had a boss that used to make fun of people who left work for family emergencies. She used to say to everyone, 'What are you going to do at the hospital? Help the doctors?'

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 06:40 AM
link   
I used to work in the kitchens at pizza express in my town, they called the job dish pig, I was basically cleaning dishes and washing the toilets, until one day my boss told me to clean her car I was like wtf, but like all desperate employees I did it. I think it was a summers day and I had a hose. So was a nice change from the dishes in a sweaty kitchen

ETA pattern emerging in first replies to the thread
edit on 18-5-2016 by woodwardjnr because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 06:53 AM
link   
a reply to: woodwardjnr

I see the pattern

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 06:59 AM
link   
i was under so much stress at work that i had some kind of small heart attack, i went pale and couldn't believe how fast my heart was beating, impossibly fast. when it started i told my teamleader to call an ambulance, and she asked:
"can you just go to the hospital by yourself?"

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 07:13 AM
link   
Wow, some people just do not have the skills to be in the positions they are in.
Who in their right mind would tell someone to drive themselves to the hospital? Or comment on a family emergency.

I had a twit as a boss before and EVERYONE in the company knew it from day 1. She used to run up and down the hall ways at the mine site, ranting to herself in some huffed up panic that she would always put herself in.
Even the HR guy who hired her commented on her 1 morning i car pooled with him for the hour and a half drive to site.
He said she was one of the biggest regrets in his HR career. I laughed so hard, and light-fully told him everybody blames him for her incompetency.

She didnt understand the job, but her resume stated that she had 5 years supervisory experience.
So at the time she appeared to be the right candidate for the job.

It was brought to light 1 day by a new employee, that the woman was fired from her previous job because she was found to have zero experience or knowledge in hot to properly design and open stope. (Big hole underground where the ore is taken from)

Anyways, it was a HUGE load off everyone's shoulders when she got herself fired for starting a screaming and crying fit in a meeting, one morning.
Its been 3 years since she left and we still havent tried to fill that position lol

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 07:17 AM
link   

Your boss sounds like a piece of work. Count your blessings that she left you alone to do your work often!

I do have a question. You mention 'a full sample bottle'. I'm not familiar with that term. What was it filled with, liquor?
edit on 5182016 by XP100 because: typo

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 07:18 AM
link   

I had one that got to the point where he declared that he owned my ass ...cya ... That was the only boss or company I have been fired quit and rehired more then a 1/2 dozen times .I wasn't the only one as his own son and I had made a contest out of who could end up being fired and rehired the most times lol ....Problem with the boss was the bottom line of the $$ ...I liked the challenges and doing a good job for the customer and the company but the boss was something all together ....The last time he wanted to hire me back I told him unless he was fired I couldn't work there . His partner with 51% of the company was also his wife and she agreed with me :>).....such is life I guess . They have sense been divorced but she still controls 51% of the company .....

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 07:21 AM
link   
My wife is the manager of an office full of women and every time one of them is home with a sick kid her boss goes nuts.
"They need to find an alternate babysitter!"
Like any babysitter is going to take sick kids.

Funny thing though, she had three kids of her own.

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 07:23 AM
link   
One of my bosses in recent years didnt under understand what i did. I was working in a field that supported the technology in the company, while it started with just the computers it soon ended up with my fixing, installing, generally making any and all 'IT' in the company work.

Then he would complain about the time i spending "doing nothing" aka browsing the web, he didnt quite grasp the fact that people who "get" technology didnt just wake up one day and know all there is to know about the latest Iphone or how to connect a conference TV up hiding cables or managing day to do day IT services.

One day it went to far, i wont go into details but i got a first warning letter (the first in over 3 years) which while was warranted in a way, should have been filed in the "reasonable action in the face of difficult circumstances" draw an not the "making a threat to a perfectly good employee draw" - so i decided this was the tip of some actual aggressive tactics, handed in my full notice - worked it and left.

Maybe i was too sensitive, maybe i wasnt, i didnt like the guy, he was probably just pissy that i haddnt friended him on FB or somthing, who knows, who cares - smelling a shark in the water i got out of the pool.

edit on b5757740 by Biigs because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 07:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: XP100

I do have a question. You mention 'a full sample bottle'. I'm not familiar with that term. What was it filled with, liquor?

Ah... I was hoping to get away with not spelling it out

It was a urine sample bottle.

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 07:30 AM
link   
a reply to: Biigs

I think that is at the root of a lot of problems with bosses - they don't understand what the staff actually do.

All most bosses are qualified for is issuing orders

I could be quietly working on balancing the books or preparing important forms and the boss would look over and say 'Well, you're not very busy, you may as well go home'.

Of course I'd bugger off as fast as I could. It was always easier to catch up on my work when she wasn't there.

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 07:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: berenike

originally posted by: XP100

Ah... I was hoping to get away with not spelling it out

It was a urine sample bottle.

Oh, then I AM familiar with the term! But still a tad confused. What in the world was she keeping that in a file drawer for? Was it clean urine to pass a future drug test? What was it for? Dying of curiosity!!
edit on 5182016 by XP100 because: typo

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 07:33 AM
link   
a reply to: XP100

erm ... bladder problems.

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 07:45 AM
link   

My boss is a huge drama queen who constantly talks crap about every single person who works there to me and then talks crap about me to everyone else. If anyone else in our department besides her is sick or having any kind of issues that affect their ability to work they are "lazy, good for nothings". I get stuck doing my job, her job and the jobs of at least 2 or 3 other people the vast majority of the time to the point where the stress and fatigue are affecting my physical health. Yesterday was my day off and I spent the whole day sick and took the day off today as I'm still feeling horrible but will be back with my nose to the grindstone tomorrow morning whether I'm up to snuff or not as there are absolutely no excused absences with our company and the point system in place demands I work sick or not lest I lose my job. I need the money but I don't know how much more of this I can take. I've spent nearly 2 years working while running a fever, running to the restroom to vomit, limping on a swollen ankle, lugging 50 pound boxes with a sprained wrist and working 3 departments by myself more times than I can count because either I'm the only one who shows up or because everyone else is socializing and slow walking their tasks. I'm sick and I'm tired as heck and too old for this crap but I need to try to hang on for another year and a half (how long my partner's ex will continue to get half or better of his net income every month). I just don't know if my body and brain will make it!

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 07:52 AM
link   
a reply to: GeauxHomeYoureDrunk

I do sympathise. I've had my moments when it felt as if I'd hit rock bottom.

I tried to find as much humour in the situation as I could and often we'd have a real laugh.

Your situation sounds like unrelenting misery, though. I hope you can find things outside of work to help you gain some balance.

Seriously, are you getting enough sleep? It would be worth giving up an entire evening and getting to bed early if you need to.

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 08:02 AM
link   

I'm in bed before 9pm most nights and still feel so tired that I fear collapsing at any moment. I do try to find humor whenever I can but the longer I am there the less it seems to help. I have had jobs in the past that were much more physically taxing than this one that did not completely exhaust me like this, including my last job. I would gladly say goodbye to this job in a heartbeat were it not for the fact that we cannot afford for me to miss even 1 or 2 paychecks during the time it would take to obtain new employment and begin receiving regular checks. Stuck between a rock and a hard place as the old timers say!

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 08:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: berenike
a reply to: Biigs

I think that is at the root of a lot of problems with bosses - they don't understand what the staff actually do.

Yup, from what I've had to deal with that seems to be the key problem. I've worked with a couple like that. Whole staff had no clue why this person was hired to watch over. Ended up pissing off part of clients and just about all the people who handle regulation for states and counties. Ended up costing the company millions of dollars with that little bit. Company still didn't get rid of him. Move him to a different department on his own pretty much. They've tried giving him a staff to manage but no one in the company was willing to work with him. We're still trying to figure out why they're keeping him, but at least know he's put in the corner out of the way.

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 08:08 AM
link   
OMG I can not tell you how many idiots I had to stand in front of at parade rest and allow to barrage me with their idiocy in the Corps. That was an incredibly difficult thing to do considering in the real world I would gladly tell an idiot boss to shove it.

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 08:37 AM
link   
At one point my mother was going through colon cancer treatments. I was the closest child to her home (my dad passed away many years ago) so I stayed with her during the day, taking her to appointments, etc... The nature of my job meant I could work remotely, and run meetings, etc...

I was running meetings, and working from her kitchen, with my laptop on a small TV tray table, so I could be in hearing distance of her in the other room, yet not be close enough for them to hear her on the teleconference. I did this for a few weeks, when my manager called me into a 1:1 meeting. We sat in a small meeting room where he began to tell me they needed me IN the office. When I asked why, he said people are talking and thinking I am not doing anything. TO which I replied, have they looked at my schedule? Have they been in my daily meetings? Have you stood up for me and explained I am working?

It was at this point I explained to him that my mother needed my care, due to the cancer (which he already knew about prior which is why I was allowed to work form there in the first place). He looked me in the eye and slammed his hand on the table and said, "WE NEED YOU HERE, after all, colon cancer is not as bad as it seems." Amazed that he would make such a statement, I calmly stood up, and said, "This meeting is over" and walked out of the room and immediately to his manager's office. I proceeded to tell him about the meeting minutes ago and about the statement made about the cancer. I was told to go home, take care of my mom, work form there. If needed, take time off to care for her.

I found out later that it seems it all had to do with "face time" and him looking bad because nobody saw me around the office lately.

BTW: My mom later passed away from that same cancer that is not so bad as it seems.

Asshat! I still hate the man.
edit on 5/18/2016 by Krakatoa because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join