It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Medical Errors: STILL the Third Leading Cause of Death

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 03:49 AM
link   
Medical Errors: STILL the Third Leading Cause of Death

"In 2000, Dr. Barbara Starfield published a study revealing that doctors are the third leading cause of death in the U.S., killing an estimated 225,000 patients each year According to a new study, medical errors kill an estimated 250,000 Americans each year, confirming that modern medicine is still the third leading cause of death in the U.S. The CDC doesn’t collect or publish information relating to medical errors or deaths attributed to iatrogenic causes. The researchers urge the CDC to include coding for medical errors on death certificates"

See whole article here:
articles.mercola.com... 20160518Z1&et_cid=DM105777&et_rid=1488891435

Further research will show you that while the USA is the most expensive nation in the world for medical care it is rated something like 23 worldwide
for quality of care.

However these negativists are missing the good side - A friend of mine was able to collect disability benefits at an early age thanks to medical incompetence
- And because of the level of incompetence lawsuits are greatly diminished - difficult to find a lawyer to sue a doctor or hospital
- they are all tied up with the big cases worth small fortunes - most of us are not worth anything money wise so why bother.

But I would bet you that dogs receive good veterinary care - dog care in the US is better than Human care.

However I would personally suggest you don't delay seeing a doctor for any medical problem - Just go home afterwards and be sure to do
your research on what they suggest [Google it] - same goes for any prescribed medicine - check it out for yourself to see if it is appropriate - and make
sure to check 'drug interaction checker' - many pharmacists who are suppose to check these things don't.

“As to diseases, make a habit of two things — to help, or at least, to do no harm.” ― Hippocrates

“It is very expensive to give bad medical care to poor people in a rich country.” ― Paul Farmer

“Though the doctors treated him, let his blood, and gave him medications to drink, he nevertheless recovered.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

“Disease is the biggest money maker in our economy.” ― John H. Tobe
edit on 18-5-2016 by AlienView because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 04:06 AM
link   
a reply to: AlienView

They play with the statistics and fudge the data by placing causes of death into different categories.

When honestly reported, medical mistakes are the 2nd leading cause of death in the US.
edit on 18-5-2016 by gladtobehere because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 04:37 AM
link   

Well, without modern medicine most would be lucky to live to 55 years old.

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 05:20 AM
link   
a reply to: Vector99

This guy makes a strong point

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 05:55 AM
link   

It is a terrifying reality and I understand why people choose to cling to their belief that the MD is some kind of saint who knows exactly what will help.

However being the third leading cause of death is no accident and MDs are at the root of every single one of these deaths, with the exception being the accidental staff infection that happens due to incompetent hospital policies, which are made incompetent due to their emphasis on profit, profit, and you guessed it PROFIT!

We did not end up with a trillion dollar a year health care industry on accident, funny enough it goes back to the eugenicists known to the world as Rockefeller, that in and of itself explains much in my view of our current medical system.

And to think they call homeopathy quackery!
edit on America/ChicagoWednesdayAmerica/Chicago05America/Chicago531amWednesday6 by elementalgrove because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 05:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: Vector99

I am sorry but can you please source this belief.

Centenarian cultures exists and they are independent of western medicine.

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 06:27 AM
link   
a reply to: elementalgrove

"And to think they call homeopathy quackery!"

You're missing the point - compared to prescription drugs - there is no money in homeopathy - And even when they don't work they do no harm.

Prescription drugs and medicine is a multi tillion dollar industry - How are doctors and big pharma executives to maintain
their lifestyle without the profits from prescription drugs and their side effects?

Tho old saying in medicine from Hippocrates was "due no harm"

Today the correct saying is "If it isn't profitable don't do it" !

There is a herb discovered in South America called Graviola which has strong anti-cancer properties [verified by research by Duke University] BUT they can not distill the active ingredients to make a prescription drug that works and can be sold at a high price - So what do you think the drug companies did? - They buried it - an insider who once worked for them brought this to light some years ago. So whatever you say about medical incompetence and big pharma - they aren't stupid.

Remember the mantra of medicine today - If it isn''t profitable - It don't exist!

“Ever met a sympathetic doctor? No ways. They’re always impatient, glancing at the watch, calculating the price of your sickness against the price of another pair of shoes for the bitch wife with the reluctant c_nt.”
― Ian Martin, Henry #it's Nursing Notes

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 06:32 AM
link   

I am in absolute agreement with you!

Perhaps I did not make my point strong enough... to me your average MD is a quack simply because their limited approach to treatment damages organs in the form of pharmaceuticals.

Surgeries should be a last resort but are a go to, you know it is extremely profitable, can result in the need for pills for life, nerve damage, death from staff infection, death from complication etc etc

The allopaths have never changed from chopping up the body and utilizing toxic poisons (chemo) hence the accurate description of quackery.

edit on America/ChicagoWednesdayAmerica/Chicago05America/Chicago531amWednesday6 by elementalgrove because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 07:06 AM
link   
3 of my family members died in the past because of medical errors.
The doctors never admitted that off course and their death was blamed on the disease.
We could have taken this to trial but it wouldn't have brought them back and would eventually have caused more suffering.
These incidents are one of the main reason I have lost faith and trust in conventional medicine and practices.

I still have close family members working as medical doctors and surgeons, they themselves admit the majority is in it for the money and acknowledgement and very few really care about their patients health.

Thanks for bringing this up OP, this should be taking more seriously and taken out of the taboo world.
edit on 18-5-2016 by intergalactic fire because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 07:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: Vector99

you could also consider this to be the main reason for overpopulation, maybe we aren't made to live up too a hundred years?
But that would be an overstatement.

Serious now, tell me how many people these days die from natural causes?
Within my family only two (that i am aware of), they both lived past their nineties and survived two World Wars, they were barely sick within their lifetime and died in their sleep without any signs of disease.
That's a nice way to go don't you think.

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 07:58 AM
link   
a reply to: elementalgrove

Here's the world health organizations life expectancy map.

gamapserver.who.int...

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 10:31 AM
link   
I am just adding to the thread. This is an important topic that is overdue for another ATS discussion.

Other threads with the same topic on ATS
Oct 5, 2011
Guess what's the third leading cause of death in the U.S.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Jun 9, 2012
Medical errors kill over 250,000 americans every year
www.abovetopsecret.com...

This news broke originally over 15 years ago
Jul 26, 2000
Doctors Are the Third Leading Cause of Death in the U.S. Cause 250,000 Deaths Every Year
www.naturodoc.com/library/public_health/doctors_cause_death.htm

I am sure the numbers are actually a lot higher but the physicians are not reporting it.

The CDC should update its vital statistics reporting requirements so that physicians must report whether there was any error that led to a preventable death, Makary said.
www.washingtonpost.com...

The best prevention:

It's time to quit bombarding your body with medical interventions and to reward yourself with the fit and healthy body that come from living fit and lean.

And until then -- until our health care system as a whole -- changes the emphasis of what we're doing to health and healthful living, exercise, proper nutrition and diet, and vitamin supplementation, we're not going to see anything in our health care system change, even if we wait another seven years to see how it's going.
articles.mercola.com...

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 10:46 AM
link   
Yeah the medical profession has a seedy underbelly thats tied in with the insurance companies that basically lobbey they govt to make laws that protect drs from criminal negligence and wrongful death.

Did you know as a doctor in the state of California you are protected legally from criminal negligence that results in paralysis, maiming and wrongful death. Even if they get the pants sued off them for it since they cant really be charged with anything the legal limit is capped at $200k except in extenuating circumstances.

So be a doctor. Act as negligent as you want. Commit outright fraud that leads up to the wrongful death of your patient. Dont worry you wont get in trouble. Your insurance pays for everything and your next patient wont even know (due to arbitration clauses) that you killed the patient just before because you wanted to go golfing in the middle of surgery! Oh, and you get to legally gauge the clients financially all the while! Its great!!

edit on 18-5-2016 by BASSPLYR because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 03:18 PM
link   
a reply to: intergalactic fire

My mother died due to medical errors as well. One of her doctors actually apologized to me.

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 10:21 PM
link   

Nor surprised.

Had one doc try and push daily no-acid stuff on me, because I said I used antacids for extra calcium, and plainly stated I did NOT have an acid problem. Not even his field, in that case. That was the pulmonary doc, that also kept calling me a smoker, though I said many times I am not one, and never have been.

Another doc prescribed stuff for arthritis, after running NO tests at all, and after being told that a sibling of mine had serious heart issues. The stuff he was pushing can cause heart problems. A supplement took care of the problem easily.

Yet another doc caused some real issues. After a c-section, on a couple of days my personal OB was off, the on-call doc was a complete JOKE. The pain med they had me on was making me nauseous, and even though I told him, he didn't do anything. Didn't even act like he heard me speak (and I am not quiet). I ended up on the floor, hurling violently, which isn't a place you want to be post-surgery! A NURSE looked at the meds, noted that one was a common culprit for nausea, got the med changed, and gave anti-nausea treatment as well. If I'd had the energy, I'd have knocked that doc down.

Worst of mime - the OB that was supposedly managing the care of my eldest during a pregnancy was so incompetent she lost twins. Even though other doctors could look at the records and see serious errors, not a one would testify. It's good I don't know what she looks like, honestly. As far as I am concerned there, she committed murder.

I have had some good docs as well, to be fair. The current one is young, really young, but he listens, and spends REAL time discussing various issues, and shows a lot of sense.

posted on May, 21 2016 @ 04:16 PM
link   
a reply to: LadyGreenEyes

Yes there are some good docs too, and some nurse practitioners are better than many doctors.

You need to be pro-active nowadays - the health care system is overloaded and even the good doctors have too many patients so mistakes are inevitable.

USE YOUR COMPUTER - Whatever they say you have, whatever medicines they prescribe look it up [Google it] and see what
the current evidence shows. And don't forget:

Drug Interactions Checker
www.drugs.com...

And if you use complementary medicine such as herbs and vitamins, this site shows side effects and interactions with
prescription medicines:

WebMD: Vitamins & Supplements Center
www.webmd.com...

posted on May, 21 2016 @ 06:06 PM
link   

Yes, people MUST be aware of the details of their own conditions, and the effects of any medications prescribed. The doctors do make mistakes, and will even push meds they know can be harmful. They aren't supposed to get kickbacks, but I have to wonder. Why else would a pulmonary doc push a daily no-acid pill?

The doc I saw last, as stated, is young, but I like him, so far. He has his ideas, on this or that he thinks is needed (testing, vaccinations), but he can accept that not everyone agrees, and just say that's his advice, and let it go. I hope he doesn't get corrupted by the Old Guard, lol!

Good link. Especially since supplements can be better than prescriptions, these days! The joint issues, I started taking a joint support supplement, and noticed serious improvement in under a month. Literally. The doc I had then was pushing an arthritis med that causes heart problems! Same one, mind you, that was actually running blood work for any vitamin deficiencies. Yet not a word from him on other options for joints.

posted on May, 21 2016 @ 06:57 PM
link   
Are doctors perfect? No
Are any of you perfect? No

Personally, I'm glad that we have access to modern hospitals and well trained staff. Hopefully I'll never have to use them again but if I do, I will do so without fear.

Doctors saved my wife's life when she was tossed off a horse and broke her hip.

I do think that we should all work to improve the society in which we live and this would include medicine.

I don't think that ranting that doctors are the third leading cause of death is helpful.

How many of those that die would have died earlier without medical assistance?

You are all free to avoid doctors if that is your wish

Best of luck

new topics

top topics

join