It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Microaggressions - Be Careful What You Say!

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2016 @ 10:54 PM
link   
What are we teaching teachers these days!!?

They're just trying to come up with bu**sh*t because they have run out of issues to f-up. Sociologists and psychologists and behavioral scientists are just making crap up now and doing so-called expert studies to support some off-the-wall position to justify their existence and grant money.

Is academia experiencing mass psychosis on some level. I think maybe they are. Unfortunately it is affecting parents, children, teachers, law makers, and a lot of other people that believe "the experts" must know something we don't know.

posted on May, 19 2016 @ 10:57 PM
link   
a reply to: queenofswords

Is academia experiencing mass psychosis on some level.

They've run out of things to complain about. When you work with a bunch of people with liberal beliefs, are friends with a bunch of people with liberal beliefs, and are obsessed with never offending anyone that little echo chamber you've created for yourself breeds dumbassery.

posted on May, 19 2016 @ 11:09 PM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

Your examples aren't what they are talking about when describing so-called "microaggressions" - they are deliberate insults. There is a huge difference. With the sort of examples you give, the person knows they are being rude. In the case of "microaggressions", they aren't being rude at all; someone is simply CLAIMING they are, to play the victim and silence any they don't like.

posted on May, 20 2016 @ 01:16 PM
link   
Personally i just cant wait to move on to actual MACRO AGGRESSION. Lets stop fooling around with Micro and Nano aggression. Just move right into Macro. Maybe after a brief pause there we can just sail right into Holistic aggression.

posted on May, 22 2016 @ 06:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: Winstonian
Microaggression: “brief and commonplace daily verbal, behavioral, or environmental indignities, whether intentional or unintentional, that communicate hostile, derogatory, or negative racial slights and insults toward people of color.”

Basically what a Microaggression is, is a way for whiney social justice warriors to twist any action or word spoken by a straight white male into an act of racism, sexism, or homophobia. It isn't just a ridiculous ideology, it is an outrage that they are actually teaching this nonsense in American universities.

Here are a couple of examples of what these people consider "microaggressions":

"I think the best person should get the job."
"Where are you really from?"
"You speak great English."
"You are so articulate."

I put together a video lining out some of this nonsense. Be careful what you say, you might be a racist homophobe.

Original Article

What do you guys think? Is everyone running around being racist scumbags without even knowing it, or is this just more regressive insanity?

I do think that micro-aggressions can exist. We know that some people are bigoted or racist, ignorant, etc. So some of them may say or do subtle things that are projected out of that state of awareness. Not a hard concept.

There are two problems:

1) Due to media, current social justice messaging, and confirmation bias or psychological bias, I've seen first hand how some people can interpret EVERYTHING as racism or sexism, including things being interpreted as microaggressions. And, again, in our current social justice climate people automatically believe any person of color or woman saying that something is a microaggression, even if that may be a personal projection or misinterpretation. Disadvantaged people aren't magically all knowing, always correct, and without error just because their brethren were oppressed.

2) It's almost without fail a one way street. I without a doubt, as a person well-versed in social justice theory, experienced from a woman or a person of color a classic "microaggression," i.e. subtle behavior or projection on to me that is based on some kind of bias, anger, or ignorance based on my apparent race and sex (white and male). Nobody is ever willing to acknowledge that people of color or females might actually also project on to others or show subtle signs of bigotry towards white people or men. It's a bit absurd of a position.

edit on 22-5-2016 by Quetzalcoatl14 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2016 @ 07:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Quetzalcoatl14

I think it's a problem of terminology then. Even people that speak using subtle inappropriate/ignorant statements about others are not necessarily being unconsciously aggressive towards others.

And the problems you mention are significant considerations indeed.

posted on May, 22 2016 @ 09:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Dark Ghost
a reply to: Quetzalcoatl14

I think it's a problem of terminology then. Even people that speak using subtle inappropriate/ignorant statements about others are not necessarily being unconsciously aggressive towards others.

And the problems you mention are significant considerations indeed.

The terminology, like many social justice ideas, could be improved.

By aggression they don't mean striking someone.

A classic example of a microaggression is that a white woman is in an elevator. A black man gets in to the elevator, and the woman shrinks away or moves her purse to the other side.

Now herein is the problem.

There COULD be a situation like this where the woman shrinking away, ostensibly making the black guy feel bad and judged based on race, is actually doing so out of unconscious or conscious bias. The reason it is a microaggression is it purportedly would reiterate oppression from the macro level to the micro and continue a legacy of stereotyping and mistreating people of color.

HOWEVER, I think too that in many of these situations it's being misinterpreted.

For example, what if that woman, like many women, shrinks away or is uncomfortable with ALL strange men in unsafe spaces, such as elevators or a dark street. Maybe she got raped once. So then this would not be a microaggression based on race stereotypes but in fact stereotypes or some bad experience based on gender, males in this case. However, social justice warriors cannot go quite this far because then they would have to get in to the dangerous territory of admitting that women might microaggress against men writ large, or act in a bigoted way towards them. This violates SJW dogma that only white men do that, or white women to people of color.

posted on May, 24 2016 @ 09:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: Magnivea
Seems like more whiny crap. Then again, what doesn't in the past few years?

My fiancee is Slovenian. She's extremely articulate and her English is better than most Americans with only a hint of accent after spending only 6 months in the UK and another few in the US. If someone says something along the lines of "your English is so good" or "you are so articulate" it makes her entire god damned day.

Does that mean that my sweet little future wife has a bigger pair than a large segment of the male population? Or does it just mean she's thankful for a compliment on something she's worked extremely hard on? Probably both.

The more I read lately the more I find myself shaking my head. I'm going to end up with self induced whiplash soon if people don't get into the habit of letting 2 or 3 brain cells rub together and create a spark or two before they open their mouths/post things online.

No it means she is suffering from "Internalized misogyny" and that she suffers these insults and micro aggression everyday. I feel bad for her as she is the real victim here. She needs help she needs to join a feminist group with which she can meet up and talk to on a daily basis and a Tumblr acount.

You are also a bad partner for her. Because reasons.. I do not have any specifics YET but there is no way in hell you or anyone else can duck our rules that constitute aggression that way we dont need to reason or rationalize anything for anyone our argument always wins.

Thank you for reading you misogynistic cis male privileged pig !!!!!!

-Feminist

(Since i am aware that what i just wrote actually and sadly mirrors how feminists these days really talk i feel the need to put in writing right here that this post was made as satire. Oddly enough creating satire about these SJW's and how they write, think and talk is almost indistinguishable from the real thing i started noticing during this write up. It is a frightening realization really)

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 06:29 PM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

pm me
a link to that lol

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 06:40 PM
link   
Seems to me it's a real "safe" way to try and put upon someone.

The sort of thing one might do if you didn't have the balls to speak plainly because you never grew up and can't cope without a teacher standing by to resolve every single little bump in life's road.

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join