It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2001 Ford Expedition 5.4L Leak in Gasket in Crossover Manifold

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2016 @ 07:41 PM
link   
Hey all, hopefully someone can help a brother out here. I'm not very mechanically inclined so here goes

There is a leak in the gasket in the crossover manifold where the heater hose connects to the block. My question is, can this be replaced without removing the entire manifold? I've looked online without much luck. The gasket itself is like $6. So if possible I'd like to do it myself.

Another question is, would stopleak solve the issue? Or would it be a temporary fix.

I've only had the vehicle for like three months, so this is pretty frustrating.

Thanks in advance!

-dbd

posted on May, 17 2016 @ 07:47 PM
link   
a reply to: denybedoomed

Are you positive it's only the o-rings on the hose and not a cracked manifold? I know those had issues with cracked manifolds (Ford switched materials on the 02 intake manifolds to help correct the issue). Regardless, I am almost positive you have to remove the manifold to do the job properly.

Definitely do not use stopleak!

posted on May, 17 2016 @ 07:48 PM
link   

There's some good information here. They are talking about an F-150, but it's the same exact engine.

posted on May, 17 2016 @ 07:51 PM
link   
it's not coming out of the hose, but where the cast metal pieces connect. let me try to get a picture for you. thanks for the reply.

a reply to: charolais

posted on May, 17 2016 @ 07:58 PM
link   
Here is a pic.

it is leaking from the backside, when i warm the engine up and shut it off it is escaping from where the pieces are joined.

posted on May, 17 2016 @ 08:08 PM
link   
I did a little research and it appears you definitely have to remove the upper intake manifold because of the way the crossover pipe is bolted to the bottom of it.

This PDF will help

Here's a walkthrough I found on a forum

The job doesn't look too bad and there is a lot of information online to help you along the way. I would imagine it would take you the most part of an entire day.
edit on 17-5-2016 by charolais because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2016 @ 08:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: denybedoomed
it's not coming out of the hose, but where the cast metal pieces connect. let me try to get a picture for you. thanks for the reply.

a reply to: charolais

A gasket is a gasket, it's a joint sealer. If it is in an area of multi ports, it is only sensible to replace all gaskets anyway.
If you know it is the gasket, that is the best/really the only option.
I would advise a mechanic to do the job, it should not be a big deal overall, unless the manifold itself is damaged.
edit on 17-5-2016 by smurfy because: Text.

posted on May, 17 2016 @ 08:30 PM
link   
Alright, thank you guys. As I said, i'm no mechanical genius so I might as well just take it in. Damn. . .

Which i'm guessing means a $6 part just became a $200 + part. . .

Anyways, thanks for the info. I love this site.

posted on May, 17 2016 @ 08:37 PM
link   

As a last resort you might look into water glass . It can be bought at a drug store and I have used it before with good results on a cracked head on a diesel engine ..

posted on May, 17 2016 @ 08:44 PM
link   
Like this?

a reply to: the2ofusr1

posted on May, 17 2016 @ 09:07 PM
link   

That would be the stuff . Make sure the engine is running hot when you pour it into the rad . Just to add that follow the instructions in the link .Read the warnings and say a little prayer :>)
edit on 17-5-2016 by the2ofusr1 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 04:16 AM
link   
A coolant line passes under the lower plenum. Upper and lower manifolds have to be removed for the line to be replaced.

Good thing is, while you have it off, replace the lower plenum gasket and the plastic single use bolts. A bad gasket may throw a couple engine 072 o74 codes for a lean condition.

All 3 are common problems. Pain in the butt to replace, but the parts are cheap and available at your parts house.

Solid motor. Done these myself.

The only other issue the 5.4 has is sometimes you can blow out a number 3 spark plug. Literally taking the threads with it. Then you have to helicoil, or replace the head.

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 04:19 AM
link   
I do not recommend a coolant additive. It is a temporary band aid that sometimes can make things worse.

To add, be delicate with the spark coils and plug boots. They get brittle with age. The coils can be found on amazon real cheap from china, just as good as oem. And 1 10th the price
edit on 18-5-2016 by smirkley because: (no reason given)

edit on 18-5-2016 by smirkley because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 11:05 AM
link   

Ford parts guy here.

If you are sure that leak is just at the gasket, then by all means replace the gasket. But chances are the manifold is cracked. Ford updated the manifold design due to the possibility of cracking.

ETA:

As far as stop leak additives...I will never recommend them unless you're planning on selling the car immediately. The issues that they can cause in the radiator and in the coolant jets, heater core, and elsewhere just isn't worth the trouble.
edit on 18-5-2016 by kelbtalfenek because: (no reason given)

top topics

join