It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Friendly reminder: The U.S. is a REPRESENTATIVE Democracy, NOT a direct democracy

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 04:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion
a reply to: Klassified

Democracy, or democratic government, is "a system of government in which all the people of a state or polity ... are involved in making decisions about its affairs, typically by voting to elect representatives to a parliament or similar assembly,"

So your telling me this isnt whats happening?

Where did i say its a pure democracy please quote...

We are a democracy we vote to elect officials who then represent us on a federal level and we vote on laws.

Thats whats happening weather your willing to admit it or not.

Ok. I give up. You obviously know better than the framers of the constitution what our form of government is. Silly me, reading the constitution, and the founding fathers writings.

Seriously, if you can't see the difference between calling the U.S. a democracy and a Republic, then there is no way to go forward with a discussion about it.

Carry on.

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 04:36 PM
link   

a reply to: Klassified

Democracy, or democratic government, is "a system of government in which all the people of a state or polity ... are involved in making decisions about its affairs, typically by voting to elect representatives to a parliament or similar assembly,"

So your telling me this isnt whats happening?

Where did i say its a pure democracy please quote...

We are a democracy we vote to elect officials who then represent us on a federal level and we vote on laws.

Thats whats happening weather your willing to admit it or not.

Reread that, specifically this part "in which all the people of a state or polity". In the US there is no right to vote. The original intent was that only a handful of people could vote, these days we've passed laws which have eliminated many reasons why a person can be denied the ability to vote, but according to the constitution the general public still has no actual right to vote.

What you're doing with the vote you do have, is choosing who actually has the ability to vote.
edit on 18-5-2016 by Aazadan because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 04:39 PM
link   

a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

It doesnt change the fact that we have a system of representation regardless of how you spin it does not matter.

Its not spin. The problem is that humans like to classify things. And if something doesn't fit inside of a box perfectly, then we shoehorn that muther in there.

Representative Republic. Representative Democracy. Who cares? Do you feel the system is equitable? i think that is the only question worth asking yourself. The classification crap is as irrelevant as it gets. That is, unless you just like to argue semantics on the internet.

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 04:42 PM
link   

The difference between a direct democracy and representative democracy is not semantic.

The difference between a democracy and a republic is far more semantic.

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 04:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan

are involved in making decisions about its affairs, typically by voting to elect representatives to a parliament or similar assembly,"

YYYAAWWWnnnnnn

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 04:45 PM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

If its not semantic, then perhaps we can just ignore the inconvenient overlaps on the venn diagram that take up virtually the entire venn diagram.

And when we are done with that, we can ask ourselves if the clarity of minutia is going to improve the day to day lives of people like you and i.

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 04:46 PM
link   

are involved in making decisions about its affairs, typically by voting to elect representatives to a parliament or similar assembly,"

YYYAAWWWnnnnnn

Not all people are voting to choose their representatives. Again, under the Constitution you have no right to vote. In an actual Democracy you do.

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Oh god. Everyone can vote in this country.

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 04:48 PM
link   

Getting angry because you think your vote doesn't count when in fact your not understand understanding the process is the point.

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Being permitted to vote and having the right to vote are two very different things. You are permitted to vote.

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 04:55 PM
link   

What are you talking about?

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 05:07 PM
link   

What are you talking about?

What I am talking about is one of the fundamental differences between a democracy and a republic. In a democracy there is an actual right to vote. In the US you have no such right. The government allows you to vote, and states reasons why it can't deny you a vote but it is not a right.

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 05:09 PM
link   

Getting angry because you think your vote doesn't count when in fact your not understand understanding the process is the point.

Which takes us right back to the '/mic drop' comment.

Your vote doesn't count. The only thing that counts is $$$

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 05:10 PM
link   
Wasting your time. He's made up his mind.

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 05:16 PM
link   

Felons cannot vote, illegal aliens cannot vote, and minors cannot vote. Many states require registration before being allowed in the voting process.

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 05:18 PM
link   
a reply to: GodEmperor

Ok, we cant vote.

I believe you guys.

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Ok, we cant vote.

I believe you guys.

It's not that you can't vote right now, it's that the ability to do so can be arbitrarily taken away.

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 05:21 PM
link   

nvm this is pointless
edit on 5/18/2016 by onequestion because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 05:29 PM
link   

Ok, we cant vote.

I believe you guys.

Wait...someone who has had their right to vote taken away from them is arguing whether or not we can have our right to vote stripped?

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 05:32 PM
link   

I can still vote FYI.

Ive lost other "rights".

Honestly i think you guys need to go reread your last few posts and realize how ridiculous it sounds.
edit on 5/18/2016 by onequestion because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join