It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Drunken ebay bidding and the resulting dread you might actually win.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2016 @ 04:06 PM
link   
I know that it's not just me and many of us do this. It seems like such a great bargain at the time and it very often is.

I always laugh at myself when this happens as it becomes the exact opposite of what normally happens when you want to win the auction and hope no one else bids.

After drunk bidding I often end up praying that someone outbids me and checking eBay becomes a thing of dread.

Have you done this? Did you get a lucky escape or do you have an awesome but expensive pinball machine or some such thing in your living room and an angry partner or heavy credit card?

posted on May, 17 2016 @ 04:13 PM
link   
a reply to: nonspecific

LOL, I did this 2 months ago, had some drinks and made a bid on a Roots hat. I now am the proud owner of a new hat. I never looked at the size because I had drinks. Yes it is a small. No it does not fit and it was a big charge on my credit card bill.

Nice thread!

posted on May, 17 2016 @ 04:18 PM
link   
I stay away from e-bay full stop.

I fear looking at ATS the morning after drunk posting, I dread to think what my drunk purchasing would result in.

edit on 17/5/16 by Cobaltic1978 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2016 @ 04:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Cobaltic1978

I had a night like yours too. Lol woke up with the white envelope. Lol

posted on May, 17 2016 @ 04:24 PM
link   
No, but I can sense when there is someone else on the line waiting to pounce and get the last bid in.

Occasionally I've got caught in a bidding war. Once, when I felt the steely determination of another bidder, I kept bidding away merrily knowing they were going to win. I got a nice price for the seller, I hope they were grateful

I rarely go onto ebay these days but when I do I always buy stuff that can be bought 'now'. Bidding is far too stressful.

posted on May, 17 2016 @ 04:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Quantum12

I had a night like yours too. Lol woke up with the white envelope. Lol

I think I would rather pay for something I cannot afford and do not need than wake up to another white envelope of doom.

I am pretty lucky to still be here to be honest.

At least with stupid eBay bids you can always resell them and deny idiocy.

posted on May, 17 2016 @ 04:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: nonspecific
After drunk bidding I often end up praying that someone outbids me and checking eBay becomes a thing of dread.

Did you realize the plus size leather bustier did not come from a pet/smoke free home when you were drunk?

posted on May, 17 2016 @ 04:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Did you realize the plus size leather bustier did not come from a pet/smoke free home when you were drunk?

So you've been there, done that, got the plus size leather bustier (not as advertised).

That's why I don't do e-bay.

posted on May, 17 2016 @ 04:36 PM
link   

I was the seller.

posted on May, 17 2016 @ 04:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

No but I did keep it for a week in a smoking household with pets an resell it as such.

True story, I once bought a woolly mammoth called Brian on eBay years ago for £2.2 million. It was all fun and games until the seller realised how big his fees were and we came together to cancel the transaction due to the fact that we could not find a company that would ship such a large item.

posted on May, 17 2016 @ 04:40 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Of course you were, you're a crazy Mason.

posted on May, 17 2016 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Wearing and then selling a leather bustier is the least of my crazy actions.

posted on May, 17 2016 @ 04:45 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

We know, you're a crazy Mason.

edit on 17/5/16 by Cobaltic1978 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2016 @ 04:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: berenike
No, but I can sense when there is someone else on the line waiting to pounce and get the last bid in.

Occasionally I've got caught in a bidding war. Once, when I felt the steely determination of another bidder, I kept bidding away merrily knowing they were going to win. I got a nice price for the seller, I hope they were grateful

I rarely go onto ebay these days but when I do I always buy stuff that can be bought 'now'. Bidding is far too stressful.

I traded on ebay as a living years ago and it was really interesting learning how to sell even after years in sales.

One thing I did learn was the difference between men and women in general. A woman will place a bid and on the whole stick to a price but a man will make something there own and the testosterone kicks in and it becomes a matter of pride.

I have listed identical items on a buy it now and a 99p listing and seen blokes pay more for the auction item than they could have bought the BIN item for because they do not want to loose.

posted on May, 17 2016 @ 05:01 PM
link   
Yeah i've done this too, but nothing i regretted. Always got out bid in the end. Its just gambling really, so never gamble more than you can lose, so it's just a bit of fun. And you never know, you might win a bargain. If I'm too drunk though, I can't remember or type my darn password anyways.

posted on May, 17 2016 @ 05:27 PM
link   

I tend to avoid online sales.

Unless something is sooo much cheaper online, I'd rather evaluate quality and fit etc in the real world.

posted on May, 17 2016 @ 05:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: chr0naut

Unless something is sooo much cheaper online, I'd rather evaluate quality and fit etc in the real world.

With me it is second hand tools that I know were good when new and deciding that they have been looked after.

I am a sucker for the idea that an old boy has some nice gear and is now old and selling up but is rubbish at listing on ebay...

posted on May, 17 2016 @ 05:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: chr0naut

With me it is second hand tools that I know were good when new and deciding that they have been looked after.

I am a sucker for the idea that an old boy has some nice gear and is now old and selling up but is rubbish at listing on ebay...

Well, I quite agree that you get to know the quality of certain brands and their toughness assures that they have not been degraded in normal use.

It makes sense to go for those sorts of things online.

posted on May, 17 2016 @ 05:51 PM
link   

I have a really awesome creepy old murdery 1800's meat cleaver from this condition.

posted on May, 17 2016 @ 05:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: watchitburn
I have a really awesome creepy old murdery 1800's meat cleaver from this condition.

Goddamnit. Now I know what I did with that thing.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join