It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I'm bi-gendered

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 02:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: In4ormant

originally posted by: pl3bscheese
Isn't this ... dumb? What you're saying is you've bought into this idea of what it means to be a man ... or woman, or whatever, and found that you have both.... but that's not good enough, instead of being like everyone else and not much caring you found the need to reinforce these social stereotypes by proclaiming you're bi-gendered.

I don't get this. I do agree, people have social masks, but most people are too slack to keep up their guards at all times. You see what appears to most everyone NOT fitting all too well into the gender stereotypes. I can't tell if this is a step forward or backwards. Is it good to be aware of the stereotype, but indirectly enforce them, or better to not be as aware, but not cause much of a fuss. Two people mostly behaving the same way, I would tend to think.

I must be missing something.

Your not missing anything. People feel the need to declare themselves something in order to gain acceptance. It's called insecurity. For better or worse.

I think that's overly simplistic. We all try to "declare ourselves" something; usually a few something's. It's called developing an identity and it is necessary to become a healthy, well adjusted human being. Acceptance by others is absolutely part of that because we are social beings and we are all looking for our "tribe" so to speak, that social foundation that gives us a sense of belonging. We all want to feel safe and in order to feel safe we need to feel accepted, either by the greater majority, or in some cases, we will settle for a small group that proverbially speaking has our backs.

Contemporary society teaches us that we should be little islands, with our sense of identity and self-esteem completely divorced from any social group, and if we succeed in this it means that we are strong and well adjusted and that is backwards and an absurd fiction we all try to maintain. Too much conformity can be a bad thing, but too little is just as bad. While I do think that the transgender movement garbles this need, and maybe even, takes advantage of that in some people, which can be counterproductive, that need to belong is normal and human.

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 03:08 PM
link   
a reply to: circlemaker

Here, maybe you find this interesting, non-binary.
I am a female, but totally can see how this would actually be beneficial for all of us.

a reply to: watchitburn

Phantastic, diagnosing over the internet to what exactly? Sharpen your profile? Get a few cheap stars?
People like you make me sick.

edit on 18-5-2016 by Peeple because: Always throw up a little when people having no clue throwing around words they don't understand

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 03:43 PM
link   
"Out, out, brief candle! Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player that struts and frets his hour upon the stage and then is heard no more: it is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing."

the end

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 07:43 PM
link   
a reply to: circlemaker

Circlemaker, it took guts for you to come and say this. It's never easy to speak out. To say "Hey, I %$#^ing matter!"

Personally....I accept people who are genuine and real. To, and about, themselves. Were we to meet...and I sensed that...I'd accept you completely.

I think what throws me the most though....is how everyone simply MUST be A this or A that. Everyone needs a movement, a holiday...."recognition".

I respect your courage, and the fortitude it took to come forward.

I hope you can understand though, how different and difficult this is for many other people.

How it feels as if it's being shoved down their throats. Regardless of how much of an ass they're making out of themselves. It's still....very, VERY difficult for them.

I want to see a world where we can all simply "BE".

To be honest, I don't see that happening anytime soon.

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 08:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: schuyler
Basically you either have an X chromosome in every cell of your body or you do not. If you do and pretend you do not, or if you do not and pretend you do, you're simply an imposter. Your "feelings" are beside the point. You're still faking it. There's nothing "phobic" about pointing out this plain fact. You can accept it or don't. If you don't, that's your problem, not anybody else's.

It would seem that things aren't as simple as you seem to think they are.

In humans, a single gene (SRY) present on the Y chromosome acts as a signal to set the developmental pathway towards maleness. Presence of this gene starts off the process of virilization. This and other factors result in the sex differences in humans.[1] The cells in females, with two X chromosomes, undergo X-inactivation, in which one of the two X chromosomes is inactivated. The inactivated X chromosome remains within a cell as a Barr body. Humans, as well as some other organisms, can have a chromosomal arrangement that is contrary to their phenotypic sex; for example, XX males or XY females (see androgen insensitivity syndrome). Additionally, an abnormal number of sex chromosomes (aneuploidy) may be present, such as Turner's syndrome, in which a single X chromosome is present, and Klinefelter's syndrome, in which two X chromosomes and a Y chromosome are present, XYY syndrome and XXYY syndrome.[1] Other less common chromosomal arrangements include: triple X syndrome, 48, XXXX, and 49, XXXXX.

en.wikipedia.org...

What about the % people that are born Intersex (en.wikipedia.org...) and are assigned a sex by the parents only to discover thats not the sex the child identifies with later on in life?

Since the rise of modern medical science in Western societies, some intersex people with ambiguous external genitalia have had their genitalia surgically modified to resemble either female or male genitals. Surgeons pinpointed intersex babies as a "social emergency" once they were born.

edit on 18-5-2016 by kalisdad because: spelling/format

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 09:21 PM
link   
Someone i knew was intersex.
"He" had swyer syndrome.

XY male chromosomes but with female external genitalia.
en.wikipedia.org...

He always felt male and after the disorder was found around age 15 he started living as a male.

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join