It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Phobia suffix!!!

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2016 @ 03:19 PM
link   
I don't like the gay sexual lifestyle. Gay people don't like my sexual lifestyle. I as a person and they as a person can like eachother as individuals though.

Am I a homophobe for saying I don't like the gay lifestyle?

posted on May, 17 2016 @ 03:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: In4ormant
I don't like the gay sexual lifestyle. Gay people don't like my sexual lifestyle. I as a person and they as a person can like eachother as individuals though.

Yes, at least one of the posters on this thread helpfully posted dictionary definitions to suggest as much.

Of course, I don't think you are, but if you are and I am because we happen to have an aversion to homosexual sex, then wouldn't gays likewise be heterophobes?

posted on May, 17 2016 @ 03:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
Yes, at least one of the posters on this thread helpfully posted dictionary definitions to suggest as much.

The problem is that modern dictionaries are aiming to record the way that words are used in practice. So if somebody uses a dictionary definition to support the way a word gets used in practice, that's really a circular argument.

edit on 17-5-2016 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2016 @ 03:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

originally posted by: In4ormant

Of course, I don't think you are, but if you are and I am because we happen to have an aversion to homosexual sex, then wouldn't gays likewise be heterophobes?

Technically speaking I would say yes. If one is true then the other would be.

posted on May, 17 2016 @ 03:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Hazardous1408

You can irrationally fear something, but you cannot be irrationally averse to anything. Fondness, or lack thereof, is entirely governed by an individual's personal thoughts. I can irrationally fear hot days, working myself into a panic over the expectations that I'll die of heat stroke... conversely, if I make the statement "I really HATE hot days because I prefer to be cool," you cannot say that I'm being irrational, because I am merely stating a personal preference.

I tend to agree with the OP here. Phobia has a duplicitous meaning and has been latched onto more as a (failed) attempt to insult those who retain any traditional belief which is presently in the process of forced changed than anything else.

Bottom line, the proper response when someone accuses you of being XYZphobic is pretty much the same response people should provide if they're falsely accused of being racists, sexists, or any other 'ists': You think I am? Meh. A reaction of pure apathy, not back scrambling, not supplication, not anger, just a pure and pristine "do I look like I care?" is a reaction which they have yet to invent a strategy against.

posted on May, 17 2016 @ 03:35 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Hmmm. Another question.

If I dislike gay people as a whole for whatever reason I'm a homophobe.

What if I dislike 1 gay person because, well, they are just annoying?? Am I one then?

posted on May, 17 2016 @ 03:38 PM
link   
a reply to: In4ormant

No, then you're a perturbaphobe.

posted on May, 17 2016 @ 03:41 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

Stars for you, sadly I can only give the one.

posted on May, 17 2016 @ 03:42 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

You just made that up didn't you? "perturbaphobe" LOL Love it!
edit on 17-5-2016 by sycomix because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2016 @ 03:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Joecanada11 explain the gay gang rapes in prison if its not a "choice"

posted on May, 17 2016 @ 03:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

No, then you're a perturbaphobe.

I'm afraid of labels though, that's not gonna work for me.

posted on May, 17 2016 @ 03:53 PM
link   

If God is all powerful and unwavering, can He create a creature so horrifying that it makes even Him hide under his bed in fear?

posted on May, 17 2016 @ 03:55 PM
link   
edit on 17-5-2016 by breakingbs because: gone

posted on May, 17 2016 @ 04:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Joecanada11
a reply to: xuenchen

This post just gave Hillary 50,000 more votes.

Actually it only rates to -2500 for Hillary.

posted on May, 17 2016 @ 04:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

If God is all powerful and unwavering, can He create a creature so horrifying that it makes even Him hide under his bed in fear?

He said yes, but just to make the thing feel good about itself for a day.

posted on May, 17 2016 @ 05:27 PM
link   
a reply to: AVtech34

Seriously. That's absurd. Do you think there's a bunch of women that the prisoners can choose from?

posted on May, 17 2016 @ 05:28 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Your math skills suck.

posted on May, 17 2016 @ 07:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hazardous1408

An extreme or irrational fear of or aversion to something:

www.oxforddictionaries.com...

Wrong.

Yep, I'm brusselsprout phobic. and artichoke phobic.

I might even be reality-tv phobic.

Because it's an irrational and extreme FEAR....

read the op.

posted on May, 17 2016 @ 08:24 PM
link   
Actually, I'm tired of it too. MAKE IT STOP.

The only phobia I have is fear of heights. It's a true phobia, I suffered the terror that caused it, and I'm entitled to it.

posted on May, 17 2016 @ 08:38 PM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

That I would also agree with. I am very happy with my old American Heritage. The Websters I have at work gives me the willies.

Wait! Does that make me a Webster-phobe?

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join