It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

It's International Day Against Homophobia and Transphobia!

page: 18
<< 15  16  17    19  20  21 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 05:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee
There are homosexuals that CHOOSE to live a heterosexual life. But, the attraction to same gender does not go away.

My heart goes out to anyone facing the crappy society where they choose to hide over facing abuse.
Its a #ing shame on society.

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 05:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: grainofsand

There are homosexuals that CHOOSE to live a heterosexual life. But, the attraction to same gender does not go away.

My heart goes out to anyone facing the crappy society where they choose to hide over facing abuse.
Its a #ing shame on society.

The good thing is that it's a lot better than it was a few years ago, although there is a long way to go, admittedly.

The last sodomy law on the books in the US was nullified in 2013. Note: Many states (17) still have these laws on the books but understand that they are null ... although Louisiana tried it in 2014 and was struck down.

Although, it's easy to see that Christofascist Republicans are desperately trying to pivot to doing anything and everything to keep us in place as second-class citizens.

This "uproar" over trying to establish the Pee Police is a direct "sour grapes" response to the ruling in Obergefell.

/shrug

edit on 18-5-2016 by Gryphon66 because: Noted

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 06:28 PM
link   
Hmm. I am generally not in favor of any phobias in dealing with other peoples legal preferences...dont need a day for that, its a year long thing.

which means this day is pointless and only going to be used to enrage those who are -phobic..and might actually turn a few indifferent into a bigot simply because they are tired of endlessly being slammed with this crap with made up days and nonsense.

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 08:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: chris_stibrany
If it's one thing I am sick of hearing about it is transsexuals. This is only a big thing because someone wants it to be a big distraction. And furthermore I don't think it is a right, it is a disease.

I think sex and gender are the same thing. Gender is determined by your sex. If you want to be a different gender than your sex is, then I honestly think you have a chemical imbalance or mental illness, whether chemically or environmentally (abuse) based.

It is not something to be celebrated - it is something to be fixed.

Homosexuality is different; it has been around for millennia, but transgenderism is only a modern thing based on mental problems and the availability of surgery that doesn't even make a real 'woman' or 'man' where one didn't' exist before, it makes some sort of Frankenstein's monster that everyone looks at because they can tell it is not a natural process.

Rant over and now you can all flame me.

fix it??????????????????????????????? how would we do that???? you make it sound black and white, like just wave a magic wand and poof..it's fixed......maybe it is something not to celebrated..but it IS something to gain knowledge about and have proper understanding of the subject.
they are people and deserve the same rights as everyone else...to be treated as PEOPLE...too much hate in the world
edit on 18-5-2016 by research100 because: added sentence

I will post this horrific story here...happened in Georgia..usa...boiling water poured on 2 men www.huffingtonpost.com... suffered 2nd and 3rd degree burns...scroll down to see the burn pics...these kind of stories make me sick
edit on 18-5-2016 by research100 because: added paragraph

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 08:35 PM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

Yeah, gays are already accepted, true Trans make up less than one percent of the population. But let's focus on this. People aren't dying in pointless wars, corporations are not exploiting third world nations, and human trafficking doesn't exist. So, let's focus on these people who used to exist in peace and do their own thing but now have a spotlight on them causing more hatred towards them than ever. Good job.

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 09:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bone75

originally posted by: theantediluvian
a reply to: Bone75

Avoid a lot of mirrors?

I tend to speak truth, not hate. I'm not responsible for your selective comprehension.

Um...

Well I do know one now that I think about it... my 7 year old daughter. The other day we were in the mall and an obvious man in a dress walked past us. She squeezed my leg really tight then looked up at me and asked "Daddy is that a boy or a girl?"

So technically she's a transphobe. I guess I should've punched the little bigot in the mouth huh?

Are you claiming that this is the truth?

Not only is it probably the most pathetic strawman I have ever seen, but I have also seen the comic strip that you stole it from.

Some truth you've gathered, there.

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 10:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12

originally posted by: JIMC5499
Who cares?

I'll bet Trump cares. The gay vote could very well be the deciding factor in his election.

He has already pissed off women and minorities; lose the gays and their families....adios Donald!

Whose next Trump? Christians?

I think Trump knows he is SOL and is just now going thru the motions. Why, you ask....Ask Clinton....

Nice segue there...not too shabby at all.

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 10:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: grainofsand
a reply to: Rocker2013

It continues to surprise me on ATS and elsewhere on the internet.
I can't remember the last time anyone in real life said something horrible about X social demographic right now.
I'm sure I know racists, folk who hate on gender/sexuality, etc but they certainly keep themselves quiet in my life.
Online, wow, people speak their minds lol

I call it "Wizard of Oz Syndrome". Some people seem to feel they wield a significant amount of power when they're hidden behind a screen. That is known in developmental psychology as Magical Thinking. Most people outgrow that stage of intellectual development by the age of four or so. Others, however...

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 11:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: mikeone718

originally posted by: Rocker2013

originally posted by: mikeone718

originally posted by: Rocker2013
My "agenda" is everyone being treated equally under the law.

I did notice the "straight only" water fountains at the arena last night.

History of violence against LGBT people in the United States

Everyone has a bad history of some sort.

I did notice my neighbor being upset a few days ago, however, that his little girl will soon have to share a bathroom with a confused crossdresser.

That stinks. Now an honest taxpayer will have to worry over his daughter's safety just so that another individual feels comfortable. I wonder if you understand irony.

So...are you implying that people who identify so strongly with one gender or the other, to the degree that they are willing to undergo a physical transformation to be true to it are somehow "confused", and are you also by proxy implying that trans people are just playing dress-up as some outward manifestation of their "confusion"?

And are you further implying that all trans people are somehow inherently a danger to little girls in restrooms? Is that all little girls, or just little girls whose parents are honest and pay taxes or does it apply to boys whose parents are also honest and pay taxes or all boys and girls, regardless of the honesty of their parents? What exactly determines the veracity of their alleged honesty...is there an exam for that, and if so, who administers it and why are they qualified to do so? And do dishonest people who don't pay their taxes or might be struggling have a shot at being entitled as well or are they just screwed right out of the gate?

Oh, sorry...last question, I promise; to be clear, were you implying there at the end that trans people are by definition neither honest nor taxpayers and therefore do not share the same entitlement to basic human rights, such as privacy while using the restroom, that your aforementioned non-trans and therefore honest as well as a taxpayer neighbor is afforded by his lofty place in the social hierarchy?

Because that is what it appears you were implying, so I wanted to clarify so there's no misunderstanding.

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 11:23 PM
link   
One day.

You're talking about (at least in regard to this thread) one day set aside to bring attention to the idea that society as a whole can "just say no" to behaviors that range from treating millions of people like second-class citizens to actual acts of foul violence.

One day.

And it's not even like it's "official" or even widely promoted or known or that anyone had to take off work when they didn't want to or miss their favorite TV show.

Yet, a simple post pointing acknowledging the day has drawn out this kind of crap ... from people who know better. Or should.

Yeah. There's no problem here. Just like there's no problem with racism, or sexism or any other -ism that lets one group of people feel like they have the right to piss on another group simply because they're different.

And sure, you can come back with "well, you're intolerant of intolerance."

"You're bigoted toward bigots."

You're ABSOLUTELY right; it's called having a conscience.

You're tired of hearing about it??? Well, good.

Now you know how some of us feel.

We're tired of hearing how tired you are.
edit on 18-5-2016 by Gryphon66 because: Noted

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 11:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: DeadFoot

originally posted by: theantediluvian
a reply to: Bone75

Avoid a lot of mirrors?

I tend to speak truth, not hate. I'm not responsible for your selective comprehension.

Um...

Well I do know one now that I think about it... my 7 year old daughter. The other day we were in the mall and an obvious man in a dress walked past us. She squeezed my leg really tight then looked up at me and asked "Daddy is that a boy or a girl?"

So technically she's a transphobe. I guess I should've punched the little bigot in the mouth huh?

Are you claiming that this is the truth?

Not only is it probably the most pathetic strawman I have ever seen, but I have also seen the comic strip that you stole it from.

Some truth you've gathered, there.

Yes that really happened. I'd love to see that comic strip though. Have you learned how to upload images yet?

posted on May, 19 2016 @ 12:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: chris_stibrany
If it's one thing I am sick of hearing about it is transsexuals. This is only a big thing because someone wants it to be a big distraction. And furthermore I don't think it is a right, it is a disease.

I think sex and gender are the same thing. Gender is determined by your sex. If you want to be a different gender than your sex is, then I honestly think you have a chemical imbalance or mental illness, whether chemically or environmentally (abuse) based.

It is not something to be celebrated - it is something to be fixed.

Homosexuality is different; it has been around for millennia, but transgenderism is only a modern thing based on mental problems and the availability of surgery that doesn't even make a real 'woman' or 'man' where one didn't' exist before, it makes some sort of Frankenstein's monster that everyone looks at because they can tell it is not a natural process.

Rant over and now you can all flame me.

I'm not going to flame you, but I'll tell you this:

I would be willing to bet real money that I could find at least twenty trannies, right here in my city, any one of whom you could stand right next to and have an entire conversation with and never once suspect that you were talking to a biological male. Easily. These women are stunning.

Not all trans people look like Caitlin Jenner. In fact, big, hulking, manly looking trannies like that are by far the exception rather than the rule. All my tranny friends are girly girls too...never a hair out of place or makeup smeared. True story.

Oh, and you might want to brush up on your historical facts there, too. Both transsexuals and transgenders have "been around" just as long as any other sexual or gender orientation has. This is by no means a "modern thing". Nor is it based on "availability of surgery" or can it be spontaneously induced by chemical abuse or anything else.

These people know from a very young age that they do not feel like their biological sex reflects the gender of their soul. It does not match up with what they truly are on the inside. They do not choose this. They didn't ask for it. Just like homosexuality or heterosexuality or any other inherent biological trait. It is part of their individual genetic makeup.

It is not a mental illness or a communicable disease or a cult following. It is who they are, at the core of their being. Dismissing that as something that "needs to be fixed" is tantamount to dismissing them as fellow human beings, something to be brushed underfoot and trampled like so much garbage.

I don't expect my words to inspire you to reach for understanding beyond your limited world view, but I felt I should at least try, in the spirit of denying ignorance.
edit on 31152America/ChicagoThu, 19 May 2016 02:15:25 -050031am31139America/Chicago by tigertatzen because: Engrish

posted on May, 19 2016 @ 12:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66
a reply to: tigertatzen

One of those times I wish I had a whole sky of stars to give; excellent and very appreciated post.

This will have to do:

Why thank you! I've been enjoying yours as well, stars for every one. Great minds think alike.

posted on May, 19 2016 @ 01:07 AM
link   

Yes that really happened. I'd love to see that comic strip though. Have you learned how to upload images yet?

Ah see, the point is that nobody ever told you to punch your daughter in the face for asking you a question about a trans person.

And that's what you were arguing against....

....A standpoint that doesn't exist.

And I'm certainly not hunting down a meme that you can go flood the internet with as if it has some semblance of intellectual integrity to it.
edit on 19-5-2016 by DeadFoot because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2016 @ 01:16 AM
link   
a reply to: DeadFoot

Yeah I thought the 'punch daughter in the face' thing was a bit strange and unnecessary. Perhaps it is rather telling about the poster and his/her use of violence when facing words?
I can not be sure of course but it was certainly an odd line to post in a mature discussion.

posted on May, 19 2016 @ 02:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66
One day.

You're talking about (at least in regard to this thread) one day set aside to bring attention to the idea that society as a whole can "just say no" to behaviors that range from treating millions of people like second-class citizens to actual acts of foul violence.

One day.

And it's not even like it's "official" or even widely promoted or known or that anyone had to take off work when they didn't want to or miss their favorite TV show.

Yet, a simple post pointing acknowledging the day has drawn out this kind of crap ... from people who know better. Or should.

Yeah. There's no problem here. Just like there's no problem with racism, or sexism or any other -ism that lets one group of people feel like they have the right to piss on another group simply because they're different.

And sure, you can come back with "well, you're intolerant of intolerance."

"You're bigoted toward bigots."

You're ABSOLUTELY right; it's called having a conscience.

You're tired of hearing about it??? Well, good.

Now you know how some of us feel.

We're tired of hearing how tired you are.

It's this bizarre need that so many people seem to have, to turn everything into a giant, pointless pissing contest. Something offends their delicate sensibilities and next thing you know, they've gone and gathered reinforcements...more piss to spray on anyone whose individuality threatens the boundaries of their cozy little boxes.

They don't care that they sound like ignorant, knuckle-dragging troglodytes. They have not one shred of shame for behaving like insufferable, bullying ingrates. Decorum and common human decency goes right out the window in the face of all that pompous self-righteousness. The fine details cease to matter because, despite their claim that society is trying to assimilate them into some imagined collective, it is actually they who have given themselves over to it willingly.

They've ceased to think for themselves and have succumbed to a pack mentality, becoming the very thing they're so deluded into believing they're fighting against. It would almost be fascinating to watch if it weren't so utterly repugnant.

posted on May, 19 2016 @ 03:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: mouthfullofkefirgrains
a reply to: grainofsand

. . honest science and the fact that MANY gays can and do stop being gay?

There is zero evidence from any credible source that a homosexual can become heterosexual.

Following that logic, a person that would like to to drink to excess daily but doesn't is an alcoholic and a person that has a sexual attraction to children but hasn't acted upon that desire is a pedophile. Or worse...a person that has thought "I'd love to kill that guy" is a murderer???

Maybe part of the problem with society in general now-a-days is that too many people feel that they SHOULD act upon their desires without thinking. Back in my day, I might think "boy...I like his sneakers" but I never beat the piss out of someone and stole them.

I believe that is called self control.

posted on May, 19 2016 @ 03:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: WeAreAWAKE

originally posted by: mouthfullofkefirgrains
a reply to: grainofsand

. . honest science and the fact that MANY gays can and do stop being gay?

There is zero evidence from any credible source that a homosexual can become heterosexual.

Following that logic, a person that would like to to drink to excess daily but doesn't is an alcoholic and a person that has a sexual attraction to children but hasn't acted upon that desire is a pedophile. Or worse...a person that has thought "I'd love to kill that guy" is a murderer???

Maybe part of the problem with society in general now-a-days is that too many people feel that they SHOULD act upon their desires without thinking. Back in my day, I might think "boy...I like his sneakers" but I never beat the piss out of someone and stole them.

I believe that is called self control.

There's a difference when you have a victim.

I think pedophilia probably is a hard wired orientation. But, you have a victim.

Some brain scan scientists believe murderers are born. It's in their brain.

Transgender is no different then homosexual orientation in that they are both normally functioning individuals in everyday life.

Different from normal functioning heterosexuals only in that one is attracted to same gender, the other's "brain" gender does not match the packaging.

Would you choose or could you choose to have sex with same gender?

Would you, could you seriously live your life as the opposite gender?

edit on 19-5-2016 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2016 @ 04:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: JIMC5499
Who cares?

Wow, so many stars for this childish and ignorant comment. Shame on you ATS, you know who you are, shame on you... 👎

posted on May, 19 2016 @ 08:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: WeAreAWAKE

Following that logic...

...a person that has a sexual attraction to children but hasn't acted upon that desire is a pedophile.

That's exactly what a pedophile is, yes.

If they had acted upon it they would be a child molester.

Homosexuality and pedophilia are not verbs.
edit on 19-5-2016 by DeadFoot because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 15  16  17    19  20  21 >>

join