It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

It's International Day Against Homophobia and Transphobia!

page: 16
<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 02:04 PM
link   
You know what, this thread has veered off-topic several times because of you deliberately fixating on nonsense to distract from the points being made.

Read back to how this all started, where you went off on some tough-man rant about how you never meet bigots in person, that they're probably scared of you, etc.

I quoted that, and I questioned it.

and you played the part of a slippery politician trying to pull the conversation off-topic in various ways, trying to dumb down what you said...all I did was state that I never see bigots in real life...that's allll!

I'm done with this thread...I said how I feekl about it and that's that. I'm glad there are still people like me out there.

Some folk just need to accept that...the opposition won't slope away crying because people demand it.

Bye.

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 02:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: samerulesapply
You know what, this thread has veered off-topic several times because of you deliberately fixating on nonsense to distract from the points being made.

Read back to how this all started, where you went off on some tough-man rant about how you never meet bigots in person, that they're probably scared of you, etc.

Nope, you invented that. I said bigots in my real life world keep they mouths shut because the decent people in my community won't stand for it. Fear of community response, not me personally, although I identify with the decent people.
My, you have a wild imagination, please do quote the offending words lol.

I quoted that, and I questioned it.
Yeah, and your quote clearly showed your invented added value to my words.

and you played the part of a slippery politician trying to pull the conversation off-topic in various ways, trying to dumb down what you said...all I did was state that I never see bigots in real life...that's allll!

I'm done with this thread...I said how I feekl about it and that's that. I'm glad there are still people like me out there.

Some folk just need to accept that...the opposition won't slope away crying because people demand it.

Bye.

Oh dear, perhaps you should have that calming cup of tea as I suggested when you first replied to my original comments in the thread.
You have nothing but invention, but your posts potentially indicate much about yourself so it is good that they are in a public forum for others to decide for themselves.

...have that cup of tea and a good think about the discussion maybe, instead of inventing an agenda in my mind.
My words are as they stand...quote the specific offending bits and I'm more than happy to engage with you again.

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 02:45 PM
link   
a reply to: grainofsand. Soooo i have to ask.... If they keep their mouth shut how do you know they are bigots? Are you
A mind reader, do you discern by some action other than words, by some body language or what? Or because they are Christian!
What's your criteria?

edit on 18-5-2016 by ThirdEyeofHorus because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 02:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: ThirdEyeofHorus
a reply to: grainofsand. Soooo o have to ask.... If they keep their mouth shut how do you know they are bigots? Are you
A mind reader, do you discern by some action other than words, by some body language or what? Or because they are Christian!
What's your criteria?

Who said I 'know' 'they' are bigots?
I said I'm unaware of any bigots in my real-life world, and that I only see such expressions of bigotry online.
Where is the mind reading in that?

...are you inventing added value to my replies as well now? Tut Tut.
I say the same to you please quote my specific comments and we can pick them to bits, but otherwise it is just your invention.

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 02:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: grainofsand
a reply to: Annee

Well said

I struggle to see why some members have such an issue with it though, lol it's not like it's a hardship or anything.

In my mother's era, all business correspondence was addressed to "Sir".

LOL, try that today.

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Lol true, society evolves.
70's & 80's TV in the UK was really racist. There are shows which would never be aired these days.
I like most of the evolution I have witnessed in my life.

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 03:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: theantediluvian

Nope but then again nobody ever says they're "forced to accept" me either. Nobody ever says crap like they'd "rather not have [my heterosexual] lifestyle thrown in their faces" either.

you've obviously never been to tumblr.

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 03:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: thewindwaker

originally posted by: theantediluvian

Nope but then again nobody ever says they're "forced to accept" me either. Nobody ever says crap like they'd "rather not have [my heterosexual] lifestyle thrown in their faces" either.

you've obviously never been to tumblr.

It is interesting that there is much more open hostility to minority social demographics online than in the real world as far as I see it. Maybe I'm just lucky to live in a tolerant real life bubble lol.

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 03:42 PM
link   

Me too. Would never want to go back to the 50s when you had to "play" your gender role.

My mom told me she was not allowed on a city bus unless she was wearing gloves. Such silliness.

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Make no mistake - I'm straight as an arrow -

Was this really necessary? Especially if we're gonna be labeling people who simply disagree?

Why the need to make sure everyone knows You're straight?

If anything, that seemed slightly phobic......

No offense really....im just not getting it.
edit on 18-5-2016 by GoShredAK because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 03:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

Me too. Would never want to go back to the 50s when you had to "play" your gender role.

My mom told me she was not allowed on a city bus unless she was wearing gloves. Such silliness.

Totally agreed.
I'm still shocked when I consider that raping your wife wasn't a crime until the early 90's in the UK!
Any decent person knew it was wrong.
Society evolves, and the dinosaurs catch up or become extinct each generation.
All bigotry is abhorrent to me, and I'm glad this thread raises awareness to a particular form of bigotry which will hopefully die out in the next few decades.

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 03:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: BuzzyWigs
Google says so on their home page!

International Day Against Homophobia and Transphobia unfe.org...

The global movement for lesbian, gay, bi and trans (LGBT) equality encompasses millions of individuals, groups, organizations and campaigns all of whom are fighting for change in their own countries and communities.

To celebrate the International Day against Homophobia & Transphobia on 17 May 2016, we asked people to help us create a video that captures some of the strength and spirit that LGBT activists and allies bring to their work, and the sheer diversity of causes that help make up the movement globally. The result is a celebration of activism – and a reminder of why we fight.

Thanks to singer-songwriter Rachel Platten for lending her powerful “Fight Song” to serve as the soundtrack to this year’s video. Finally, special thanks to the many activists around the world who contributed time, energy and enthusiasm to the making of the video – and whose daily struggle against stigma and discrimination is the inspiration for this project. This fight song is dedicated to you!

"I don't really care if nobody else believes, 'cause I've got a lotta fight left in me" - is the last line.

Make no mistake - I'm straight as an arrow - but I have many friends and acquaintances who are not, and whom I respect a great deal, and I am appalled at the ignorance, judgment, condemnation, and hatred that is so rampant around this issue.

You don't have to be trans- anything or gay or lesbian or asexual or bi to appreciate that people are people. We all need love, belonging, a sense of purpose, security, and acceptance. All of us.
To a one.

Please, open your hearts if they are closed. Open your minds as well to the fluidity of the human condition. Be part of progress, not an irritating relic that reminds us all of horrible, dark days.

Any discussion would be appreciated, but out of respect for ALL members please do not be hateful.

(did a search, didn't see this posted already...)

You know, one of the most prevalent sentiments expressed on ATS of late is the one where people say they feel as if the LGBT "movement" is being continuously crammed down their throats. That the acceptance of it is being forced upon them by repeated saturation via media platforms.

But it's not. They choose to follow stories and read articles and watch the news. They choose to react to that. They choose to make a huge deal out of something that should not be any of anyone's business in the first place.

I too, am straight. And I am also a very private person. I do not discuss my personal life or sex life with anyone. It has nothing to do with my everyday life in either the social or professional realms. I could be swinging from every ceiling fan in the house, wearing black latex and brandishing a bullwhip whilst howling like a wolf every night...but no one would know because it's simply none of their damned business.

What anyone else does in the privacy of their own home, in their own relationship and sex life, is none of my business either. I don't care. It has absolutely zero influence on how I feel about someone as a person.

If I take the time to interact with another person in a social or professional setting, the last thing that's going to cross my mind is their sexual proclivities or relationship details. Why should a person be defined in any way by such things?

People bitch about the LGBT "movement", but they fail to ask an important question: why was any kind of "movement" even necessary in the first place? It's simple; people still, in the year 2016, cannot seem to see the virtue of minding their own business. Period. Paragraph.

That is especially amusing to me when the bitcher in question claims religious views in keeping with the bible as a valid basis for their intolerance and bigotry. There are numerous references within that tome, such as people in glass houses not throwing stones, etc. About loving thy neighbor. About treating people in the manner with which you would like to be treated.

It also amuses me when a lot of those same people speak out vehemently against bullying. How can they not see that by putting a spotlight on people and singling them out for something that they should not concern themselves with in the first place and using their individuality as an excuse to rally others into a group to torment them, they are perpetrating the very epitome of bullying?

What's even more appalling is that they're also teaching their children that it's acceptable to mistreat others because they're different in some way. And in turn, LGBT adolescents are going to be either forced to live a lie to avoid being a target or they're going to stand up for their basic human rights and live under constant threat of discrimination, ridicule, and even violence and hatred.

If no one ever made a huge deal about this, called attention to it, there would be no issues right now. But it's too late for that. People who are tired of being defined by others based on what should be simply one small facet of a person's entire existence have said enough is enough. They're fighting back.

If everyone would just accept the fact that we're all different, special and equally significant, many of these archaic prejudices would cease to be a focal point. Stop putting other people's personal affairs in the spotlight and they will stop appearing there.

There are so many other legitimate issues out there. Why can't people just let this nonsense go and focus on things that actually matter? I just don't get it.

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Make no mistake - I'm straight as an arrow -

Was this really necessary?

I can see it as information worth sharing because people often pre-judge based on the box they fit into as defined by society.

I have shared that I am a heterosexual CIS male in this thread while commenting. It helps the reader build a perspective don't you think?
edit on 18.5.2016 by grainofsand because: quote tag issues lol

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 04:00 PM
link   
a reply to: tigertatzen

One of those times I wish I had a whole sky of stars to give; excellent and very appreciated post.

This will have to do:

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 04:01 PM
link   
Ahh yes,the fight continues, maybe you all should have a party and sue a bakery
into baking your victory cake.

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 04:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: mamabeth

Who's been talking cakes?
I'm recognising the real violent challenges trans and gay people face in the world.
Why are you sidetracking with cake issues?

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 04:14 PM
link   
a reply to: grainofsand

Nope.

I just think people are getting a bit sensitive.

If someone is being judgmental that's their problem. Not everyone cares.

In this case I feel that comment was unnecessary and contradictory to the premise of the thread.

It seemed like they were implying there is something wrong with being lgbt?

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 04:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: GoShredAK

Nope.

Nope what exactly?
Do you not think a declaration of status helps the reader build a perspective of the person posting?
*Edit*
It pleases me when I see other straight CIS people supporting trans folk, reminds me we aren't all against them.
edit on 18.5.2016 by grainofsand because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 04:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: mamabeth

Great idea! It worked so well before, din't it?

What are you going to have at your party then? A burning cross?

Groovy.

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 04:25 PM
link   
Nope I don't think it was entirely necessary in this particular OP.

new topics

top topics

<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join