It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Donald Trump Borrows From Bernie Sanders’s Playbook to Woo Democrats

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2016 @ 10:09 AM
link   

On a range of issues, Mr. Trump seems to be taking a page from the Sanders playbook, expressing a willingness to increase the minimum wage, suggesting that the wealthy may pay higher taxes than under his original proposal, attacking Mrs. Clinton from the left on national security and Wall Street, and making clear that his opposition to free trade will be a centerpiece of his general election campaign.

As Mr. Trump lays the groundwork for his likely showdown with Mrs. Clinton, he is staking out a series of populist positions that could help him woo working-class Democrats in November. But in doing so, he is exacerbating the trepidation some Republicans already feel about his candidacy at a moment when the party typically rallies to its nominee.
Donald Trump Borrows From Bernie Sanders’s Playbook to Woo Democrats

A very extensive poll was just released.

There is also a significant gender gap with Clinton beating Trump by 15 points among women, while Trump carries men by a similar 11-percent margin. Gender appears to be critical to this race already with Trump's controversial comments about Clinton playing the "woman's card" in order to explain her success over Sanders.
Hillary Clinton Holds Slim National Lead Over Donald Trump: Poll

Trump needs the female vote. He may have found a perfect way to get it.

Donald Trump suggests Jan Brewer is on VP short list

I was thinking Mary Fallin would be the right choice for Trump's VP candidate. But, after doing some research on her, I changed my mind. Fallin is apparently widely considered to be a failure as a governor.

Jan Brewer could be the key. Of course, Clinton is almost certainly going to choose a man as her VP candidate. That's not going to help Trump with the male vote.

Where do the "issues" fit in all this? It just comes down to pandering to different groups...

posted on May, 17 2016 @ 10:13 AM
link   
Pandering to anyone and everyone he can.

He has no intention of putting into place anything he says he will in my opinion. This is a competition to him, nothing more, and he hates to lose and will do anything in his power to win including lying to millions of people in the process.

posted on May, 17 2016 @ 10:30 AM
link   
a reply to: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

You might try meditating more. If he's pandering to anyone and everyone then he's pissing off the opposite side of the political spectrum and that would be 'anyone and everyone'.

He wouldn't have the support he does if that was the case....would he?

Try a little objectivity....works wonders....

posted on May, 17 2016 @ 10:35 AM
link   
a reply to: nwtrucker

His popularity would be an example of him pandering to anyone and everyone wouldn't it? The more support you have the more people you have pandered to.

posted on May, 17 2016 @ 10:39 AM
link   
Amazing how the only candidate who secured a nomination going into the convention is still the one who will not win...or is pandering...and will not implement his policies.

It is the DNC, not the GOP, that is imploding. Watch video from Nevada. Crazy stuff. You do not see that in the GOP races.

posted on May, 17 2016 @ 10:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: 3NL1GHT3N3D1
Pandering to anyone and everyone he can.

He has no intention of putting into place anything he says he will in my opinion. This is a competition to him, nothing more, and he hates to lose and will do anything in his power to win including lying to millions of people in the process.

WOW!

Fact! They all pander and to them winning an election IS a competition!

It is one thing to have a bias, but it is quite another to not even see that what you accuse one of doing is being done by them all!

posted on May, 17 2016 @ 11:04 AM
link   
a reply to: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

Really? LOL.

In this polarized arena? To call Trump a panderer and omit the other candidate's 'pandering' is crap and you are well aware of that fact.

Just for your amusement, let me give you a slightly different take.

For lack of a better label, Trump is a centrist, slightly right of. That can be debated, but in general it will do for the moment. He is unencumbered by party dogma/agenda or debts owed via campaign donations....so far.

He can then use pragmatic solutions as neither side has all the correct answers all of the time.

When the U.S. was at it's best, the nation WAS more centrist. As a 'conservative' a maxim is 'If it ain't broke, don't fix it".

On a political level, I would see it 'unfixed'....

None of the others offered that opportunity. I will base my judgement on whether he gets results, not his rhetoric....or anyone else's.

posted on May, 17 2016 @ 11:06 AM
link   
That's pretty smart if you ask me, Im a Bernie supporter but I always saw how they twisted things Trump said and that made me a Bernie /Trump supporter. They both got cheated except Trump was just too YUGE for them to keep down, what they did to Bernie is just flat out wrong. Hillary and her superpredator superdelegates is flat out bullsh*t. I like the Trump and Bernie supporters both, but I find Hillary supporters to be just brain dead robots, they are the REAL uneducated out of all of us. Can we all stop fighting and focus on defeating Hillary, I get insults from all three sides and its been a real joy. I don't see anything wrong with Trumps messages, they are just poorly delivered in a bad manner kind of way, but the guy is right, on most of what he says. But who am I to judge, if someone loaned me a million, Id retire and be surfing right now somewhere warm, but that's the difference between me and Trump, he has drive and ambition and no one can argue that. Hillary will sleep and be a grandma for the first three months and never do much, Trump is a workaholic and will start working first minute. Bernie has a vision, also genuine and all for personal freedoms.

What I don't like about Bernie and Trump is this.
Trump surrounds himself with people like Kristy and Sarah Palin, I assumed they would be embarrassing to him but I guess not. I was thinking classier business types, I was wrong. Repeating himself, he does have a small manageable platform and doesn't promise the world but I would like to hear specifics about his drug policy, right now its states rights, I want rescheduling, at one time Trump wanted to legalize drugs and was disgusted by the failed war on drugs.

Bernie cant "break up" big banks, that's illegal unless they are a threat to national security and when asked he has no answer. The idea that I should share some of my money I worked hard for with people who didn't is not my kind of thinking. I do think CEOs and higher ups make way too much (as Trump also noted but was spun into him saying min wage is too much which he didn't) and Bernies idea partly is a good one. Also personal freedoms and rescheduling, everyone should be on that train.

Both Trump and Bernie bitch about us paying for NATO, the US getting ripped off by other countries. Both have passionate supporters. It WAS kinda weird being in the middle of a rally with protestors mad at me and Im on both sides.

posted on May, 17 2016 @ 11:08 AM
link   
This must be what his spokeswoman meant by "acting more presidential".

posted on May, 17 2016 @ 11:43 AM
link   
a reply to: seeker1963

I never said the other candidates are any different, but I do see Trump supporters claiming he is somehow different than the others. He's not and you just gave one example of why that is the case.

new topics

top topics

join