It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Being approached for a sale/donation when out in public

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2016 @ 09:38 AM
link   
7 am at the bus stop and some religious kook tries to hand me a pamphlet about Jesus. It's amazing to me that this might work on someone but it must some times.

This happens a lot but I have yet to have to unleash my inner ahole because a polite no thank you and turn away does the trick.

It's worse when there is more than one. It's also wierd that these nutters are cruising bus stops. It is a general fact that these folks will eventually be asking for a tithe. I'm waiting for a bus, I clearly don't have disposable capitol.

I hear it's really bad in Seattle. Won't even go downtown anymore because of that and the homeless. A

Anyway, good rant
edit on 05Tue, 17 May 2016 09:40:16 -0500920165America/Chicago by Mrgone because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2016 @ 09:46 AM
link   
a reply to: YachiruKusajishi

A woman who used to give to charity willingly for many years, ended up committing suicide because of the harassment she received from these unscrupulous companies.

Daily Fail

posted on May, 17 2016 @ 09:53 AM
link   
a reply to: Mrgone

They are very aggressive here in the UK, they usually use young student types and they come up to your face and try the hard sell.
They use social compliance and a lot of people end up signing up because they are unable to say no.
I had a friend and he was having money problems so I got him to setup internet banking and we had a look at what was coming out of his account.
There were 3 direct debits setup for different charities and i asked him about them and he explained that he had this nice lass comes to the door and chats with him for a while. So she had signed him up for 3 different charities at £15pm each.
My mate is a total mug when it comes to women and this was his way of trying to get in with her, she obviously knew this and used it to her advantage. So we quickly put a stop to that and she never returned, funny that.

posted on May, 17 2016 @ 10:24 AM
link   
a reply to: mclarenmp4

It really doesn't surprise me. I guess I will look into having her lawyer draw up a nice cease and desist letter to start a paper trail against them. It is almost mind boggling that I would have to do this to stop a Fraternal Order of Police group from harassing an almost 90yr old woman!

posted on May, 17 2016 @ 10:32 AM
link   
a reply to: YachiruKusajishi

Seems to be the way of society nowadays, every man for themselves and not a care in the world for the most vulnerable.
The world has become morally bankrupt as seen in these types of behaviors from charities.
When the charitable organisations are just as corrupt as big business you know the world has lost it's way.

posted on May, 17 2016 @ 11:46 AM
link   
I live in Scotland and everywhere i go people are trying to "gilt trip" me into donations for various charity's, especially in my local city/town.

it's the same with religious nuts especially when they start talking lol.
no joke.

it's not that i don't want to give them something (cause i do) but on my own terms, charity's i mean.
edit on 17-5-2016 by DarkvsLight29 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2016 @ 11:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Dark Ghost This is a great rant for me personally because I have to walk past a store to get to my bus stop and the store frequently has the aggressive ones in front of a grocers. Sometimes I just want to get into the store and go about my business without being pressured to sign something or listen to any aggressive spiel. I tried complaining to the store, but since the sidewalk is public property, they can't do anything about it. If the doors to a store open up to a parking lot, then you can complain and the store might do something about it.

The being on the cell phone technique is what I have come to depend on and it works. I felt silly at first, pretending to talk to someone on the phone, but oh well... you do watcha gotta do,
I don't like signing my name and address over to a complete stranger. If I know the person asking for a signature and I like the cause, then no problem.
I prefer to give a dollar or so at the checkout, because it is no big deal to the cashier whether I do or not and they usually just want to check the next person in line out.

I think in the past, I may have snapped at some one trying their spiel on me as I was walking past them, ''I have a bus to catch!'' now that person ignores me as I walk by, but I feel kinda bad.

posted on May, 19 2016 @ 09:11 AM
link   
I encountered a duo of "chuggers" today on the way to work. Thankfully, I detected them in time to pull out my mobile and shamelessly pretended to have a conversation with a non-existent person on the line. After work was finished, they were still out, but in a different section of the street. I ended up feeling sorry for them because not one person stopped to even hear them out at any point I was watching and thought about how they probably wasted their whole day for nothing.

I didn't feel sorry enough to be stop and listen to them though...

posted on Jun, 3 2016 @ 11:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: threeeyesopen
Yesterday I went and put flyers in mailboxes to help my girlfriend with her new business. There were people outside on their front lawns and I didn't bother with them because of the reaction you have displayed here in this thread.

I'll bet people are probably already complaining that I put a flyer in their mail box & I can only imagine what they would have to say to me face to face.

The thing is although I'm not afraid to approach someone to make a sale, these days your reaction is more & more common so it's almost not even worth approaching people anymore.

I was rereading over this thread and missed this reply.

Firstly, I hope your girlfriend's business kicks off the ground and you both achieve financial success as well as satisfaction and fulfilment.

I don't believe the example you have shared fits into the same category as what myself and others have been discussing. There is a huge difference between promoting a new business through non-intrusive means and using appeals to guilt and deceptive tactics to sign people up to a service or meet sales targets.

I personally have no problem with people advertising their business in my mailbox. What I do have a problem with is people forcing their service/product onto me against my will by approaching me and pretending to be my best buddy just to sell a product.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join