It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

There IS life after DEATH: Scientists reveal shock findings from groundbreaking study

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 01:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: elysiumfire
What is the power source for a disembodied awareness?

How was the universe created?
What was present before the universe?
If God created all who created God?

My experience was not something I dreamed or misinterpreted.

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 05:25 AM
link   
Xcathdra:

My experience was not something I dreamed or misinterpreted.

Yes, it was. You have taken from your experience exactly what you want it to be, not what it informed you it was. I can no more accept your claim of an 'experience' without direct evidence to support it, than I could to a claim that you can fly without mechanical aid. Hearsay is not evidence.

How was the universe created?

As you know, this is an ongoing investigation. Cosmologists and astrophysicists and physicists believe they are close to proving the theory of the 'Big Bang', but it still remains a theory and cannot be accepted as the definitive origin of the universe. As for what was present before the universe, we can only speculate.

If God created all who created God?

God? Surely, God is more improbable than your claim of an experience? Even if you know in yourself the veracity of your experience, it cannot be accepted as evidence for proof. Your experience was both personal and private, and not shared. What I will say is that I believe you believe, and that is about as far as I can go in all reasonableness.

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 05:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: elysiumfire

what is a god?
the possibility of humans being the only life in the universe are crazy odds, all good scientists agree that there is other intelligent life in the cosmos!
so what defines God!
if the chances are there are other life forms there then it has to be said that most of them are more advanced than us,
im talking about beings that can manipulate atoms with their minds... creators.... surely that is a God?
or is it the One supreme creator... an infinite creator... energy.... consciousness.
we dont know..... but the chances are there are many gods by definition.

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 06:28 AM
link   
a reply to: elysiumfire

Right.... when the info comes from the horses mouth its not hearsay. Hearsay is when someone else tells the story they heard.

I took my experience as it was - not a dream and something beyond the physical world. As for accepting it thats on you as I dont need proof since I experienced it first hand. One could argue your position is based on something you dont understand as its never happened to you. To try and tell me what I experienced is something other than what I stated is pretty bold since you have nothing to support your claim / position.

I assume you are an atheist?
edit on 18-5-2016 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 09:25 AM
link   
a reply to: bknapple32

To me is just sounds like we have a bad definition of what constitutes dead. I am reminded of the Prince Bride's "He's only mostly dead".

It sounds like this is just saying that death actually happens about 3 minutes after we thought it did.
edit on 18-5-2016 by raymundoko because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Xcathdra:

...when the info comes from the horses mouth its not hearsay.

When multiple people claim the same experience without any supportable evidence, it is hearsay, a borrowing and manipulation of knowledge already in the public consciousness. If you were the only person making the claim, if you were the first to ever make the claim, it would be an anecdote. Therefore, in your case you are passing on an anecdote that is hearsay. There is nothing unique about your claim.

As for accepting it that's on you as I don't need proof since I experienced it first hand.

As long as you keep it to yourself, that's fine. You cannot expect others to believe what you say. In the least, that would be rather presumptuous.

I assume you are an atheist?

I am not anything. I simply exercise the faculty of discernment I was born with and weigh things up, and accept and reject things on merit of their credibility.

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 12:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit
a reply to: bknapple32

I do not believe that there was ever any doubt that life, or at least brain activity continues after heart function has ceased. The many accounts of beheaded nobles and royals down the ages, murderers and traitors, and the wives of rampant kings, who have had the flutterings of neurological function displayed on their faces, despite being absent the rest of their bodies, attests to that much at least.

No, there was never much doubt in my mind that the electrochemical system which is the brain takes some while to entirely power down, unless it is the brain itself which is destroyed, such as in the case of a large calibre gunshot wound to the skull.

Thank You!!! Someone besides me can see what I consider to be common sense.

On that "other" forum I quit going to about five or six years ago there were a couple of members who constantly lorded their scientific credentials over me in any disagreement similar to this.

The topic of the thread was that the guillotine was still the most humane form of capital punishment because death was instantaneous. My point was that while it was certainly inevitable it was hardly instantaneous.

When I mentioned the examples you gave above, they very condescendingly asserted that I was mistaking muscle spasms and random nervous responses to physical trauma to the upper spine for signs of short term consciousness after decapitation. Naturally they also pointed out that it is foolish to accept as fact anecdotal accounts coming from a time when the sciences barely understood antibiotics and infection and nothing at all about neurosciences.

That's a well and good, I guess, but they would never give a straight answer to what I thought were two pretty common sense facts. Oxygen is vital to brain function and someone aware that they were about to be beheaded would have an elevated pulse, most likely highly elevated. Also, that accelerated blood flow would almost certainly be carrying a massive blast of adrenaline.

Wouldn't that make it very possible that the tales of eye contact, attempts to scream, etc. are not tall tales but true accounts of what was observed. Unlike them, I won't flatly state that it was true in EVERY incident, but probably most.

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 12:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluesma

I don't know, but I do know that many of them died to bring us this information.

Admiral Ackbar, please...

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 01:03 PM
link   
3 mins! I will need moor than that to belive in this.
I can hold my breath for 3 mins. not easy. takes time to do.

I do belive that thire is more to human conciseness
than just the physical bodie.

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 01:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: buddha
3 mins! I will need moor than that to belive in this.
I can hold my breath for 3 mins. not easy. takes time to do.

I do belive that thire is more to human conciseness
than just the physical bodie.

I completely agree. To me, "life after death" means a great deal more than "3 minutes of conciousness". To me, the 3 minute thing just means you aren't actually dead yet. The wording of the definition of death and the actuality of death can be, and by the looks of this ARE, very different animals. When I say I'm looking for life after death, I need more than anecdotal evidence of conciousness being slow to fade away. The life after death I'm looking for is possibly life on another plane, in another dimension, or even conciousness and intelligent thought independant of a physical body but still with self awareness and knowledge of I am. If after death, one has self awareness and recollection of previous identity but a different identity in the new incarnation, I question whether or not that is life after death or a new life entirely (the presence of a physical body in that secondary interpretation isn't necessary to that debate. The new incarnation could be in a different dimension that doesn't include physicality. )
edit on 18-5-2016 by Giraffe because: Autocorrect didn't correctly correct me.

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Very Misleading Topic.....theist grasping as usual.

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 01:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Xcathdra
Please share your experience. I am truly, seriously interested and openminded as I am sure many here are. Thank you.

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 01:58 PM
link   
Consciousness never dies, only the material body (vessel) does. The public is being lied to. The ancient writings know all the secrets to the afterlife, etc. The global elite know all this information and they are at the advantage by keeping the secrets to themselves.

Every single human being has infinite potential capsuled within a material body. You are just the experiencer of your life/reality due to your actions (karma).

And there is no such thing as "identity". You are just a point of awareness. By identifying your consciousness with your body, you are limiting yourself.

This is just a media-made game of dress-up people are playing in the world. You are projecting yourself as a certain image and you are stereotyping people's looks based on the way you were taught to perceive them.

As above so below. What happens in the non-physical corresponds with the physical.

Be lucid in your life and stop letting your thought patterns create an out of control reality for you. Instead, learn to see reality with silence.
edit on 18-5-2016 by captainFalcon because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 05:05 PM
link   
a reply to: mclarenmp4
He had a nice story but other top notch scientists, like Michael Schermer, have called his story an hallucination. Also, he was in the middle of several medical lawsuits and needed cash, which his book afforded him. The lawsuits were serious enough to where he cannot operate or work at any hospital at this time. So, no.

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 05:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Justso
a reply to: mclarenmp4
He had a nice story but other top notch scientists, like Michael Schermer, have called his story an hallucination. Also, he was in the middle of several medical lawsuits and needed cash, which his book afforded him. The lawsuits were serious enough to where he cannot operate or work at any hospital at this time. So, no.

Remember that Michael Schermer isn't a top notch scientists. he's a writer and founder of founder of The Skeptics Society. I always have a problem with self Identifying skeptics. Real Scientists are open minded, they can be skeptical of things but they're also looking for things too. By things, I mean data, evidence, proof, confirmation. Being Skeptical before even looking at evidence means you are close minded. Close minded people don't find New planets, new elements, cures for diseases, vaccines, new theories on Relativity, String theory, they don't head the manhattan project, they don't build Rockets or land people on the moon.

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 05:34 PM
link   
a reply to: amazing
My apologies. I am no scientist myself; but if the internet says so it must be right. Kidding. Totally agree with your opinion of what a real scientist says. When the book came out I was very skeptical-I just have a gut feeling with this guy-so not exactly using the scientific method here. Be gentle - I am and will always be a "self identifying skeptic."

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 05:38 PM
link   
a reply to: CornShucker

Well, I have no particular qualifications to speak of in the sciences, just an abiding interest in them and fascination for the topics which knowledge of the sciences can illuminate.

I think the difficulty is that there is a tendency on the part of some to consider that life ends when the heart stops beating. This is, of course, nonsense, because a heart can be restarted, given the right circumstances, and if it is done fast enough, before the brain cell death sets in to a significant degree, it can result in a person coming back to full fitness after a time.

Brain death, actual cessation of all electrochemical processes in the brain and nervous system, is the point at which death has occurred. Up until that point, all that has happened, is that death has become more likely. Put another way, the heart ceasing to beat is merely death receiving an invite to the party. Brain death is the arrival of the guest of honour himself.

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 05:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Justso
My apologies. I am no scientist myself; but if the internet says so it must be right. Kidding. Totally agree with your opinion of what a real scientist says. When the book came out I was very skeptical-I just have a gut feeling with this guy-so not exactly using the scientific method here. Be gentle - I am and will always be a "self identifying skeptic."

I understand and especially here on ATS with some of the further out conspiracy theories, we should be skeptical. I just find that, in real life, the skeptical people are the pessimists or the doubters. They aren't generally, the optimists.

I want to be an optimist, I want to give people the benefit of the doubt and I want to dare to do things, look for things, even though it's not the easy thing to do.

AS it applies to this thread and ATS in general, I want to look at things with an open mind and not a "skeptical" or "closed" Mind. Not saying you have a closed mind or that being skeptical is bad, just that people like Michael Schermer are close minded and that's a bad thing.

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 06:05 PM
link   
I didn't mean to sound pessimistic- it's just this guy and probably the fact that I come from a very southern baptist upbringing which has caused me as an adult-advanced adult-to be more questioning-and I just don't like this guy. Again, being pessimistic (which I truly am not normally) I don't like this guy. I do get your point , though. Thank you for explaining. Obviously, I'm not a real scientific mind here. But I do absolutely love reading ATS and love all the different thought processes....makes me go....hmmmmm and that's good.

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 06:44 PM
link   
This sounds super painful.

30 second extra of thoughts, emotions feelings? What happens if you die to a rocket attack, does the brain still work if its scattered across 10 meters squared? Yeesh.

Okay, horrible oblique thoughts aside - while this sounds interesting it defiantly makes wonder if this good news. Makes me think if you die "wrong" it could be the most agonising horrible terrible thing, makes me a little more scared than i already was.

edit on b4646638 by Biigs because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join