It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

There IS life after DEATH: Scientists reveal shock findings from groundbreaking study

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+14 more 
posted on May, 17 2016 @ 07:56 AM
link   

LIFE after death has been "confirmed" by scientists who have discovered consciousness continues even once a person has died.

In a large scale study of more than 2,000 people, British boffins confirmed that thoughts DO carry on after the heart stops.

The shock research has also uncovered the most convincing evidence of an out of body experience for a patient declared dead.

It had been believed the brain stopped all activity 30 seconds after the heart had stopped pumping blood around the body, and that with that, awareness ceases too.

However, the study from the University of Southampton shows people still experience awareness for up to three minutes after they had been pronounced dead.

There IS life after DEATH: Scientists reveal shock findings from groundbreaking study

Is this confirmation of something after death? Or is this human beings just learning and understanding the process of death better? I love hearing about experiences with death and outer body experiences. Are some of these (roughly 40% in the article) cases just the persons own mind filling in blanks or were these experiences real ( in whatever sense that means)

Whatever your view on death is, one thing we can agree on is we really have no clue what happens. However the more of these studies we do, the deeper the rabbit hole goes.

posted on May, 17 2016 @ 08:05 AM
link   
a reply to: bknapple32

It's an interesting topic that we have speculated on for thousands of years. You will find hard-line pro-science types dismissing this as "your brain trying to come to terms with your impending death" and religious fundamentalists claiming "this is proof that even your death is all part of God's divine plan", while most of us in the middle simply find the topic fascinating and admit we do not know.

posted on May, 17 2016 @ 08:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: bknapple32
Whatever your view on death is, one thing we can agree on is we really have no clue what happens. However the more of these studies we do, the deeper the rabbit hole goes.

Very true, nobody will ever know... Not until they die.

posted on May, 17 2016 @ 08:08 AM
link   
I definitely believe in life after death in some form, as the consciousness or "soul" leaving the body. But I don't think that some basic level of awareness 3 minutes after your heart stops beating is any kind of proof. IMO it's just the consciousness slowly losing touch with the body and physical world.

posted on May, 17 2016 @ 08:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: angryhulk

Which makes fear of death somewhat of a paradox: we are frightened by the uncertainty that death might bring despite knowing it is inevitable and something we probably cannot comprehend.

posted on May, 17 2016 @ 08:11 AM
link   
www.npr.org...

Very interesting read

+18 more 
posted on May, 17 2016 @ 08:11 AM
link   

Not sure if this does anything to confirm or refute so-called 'life after death'..it probably does more to confirm that the brain continues to operate, at least in a limited capacity, after the heart stops...which we already knew of course.

Brain activity for 'up to 3 minutes' after the heart has stopped pumping oxygen rich blood to the brain is hardly groundbreaking news..people have had their hearts stopped for MUCH longer and have been resuscitated with no apparent ill effects..so nothing new in that.

Doesn't prove life after death at all..doesn't even offer evidence of it, let alone proof.

posted on May, 17 2016 @ 08:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: Dark Ghost

It's an interesting topic that we have speculated on for thousands of years. You will find hard-line pro-science types dismissing this as "your brain trying to come to terms with your impending death" and religious fundamentalists claiming "this is proof that even your death is all part of God's divine plan", while most of us in the middle simply find the topic fascinating and admit we do not know.

Though I would say in this article it does make it a point to show that brain activity was gone as well. This was after the vital organs had shut down

posted on May, 17 2016 @ 08:25 AM
link   
Fascinating subject, glad to hear in particular regarding the confirmed OOBE reported by the 57 yr old man, able to confirm verified events taking place around his body during a three minute period after his heart had stopped beating. Perhaps this will open the door to a slightly more mainstream consideration of the persistence of consciousness after death - I certainly hope that consciousness research comes more to the fore in modern science.

Good find (shame it's from the Express)

posted on May, 17 2016 @ 08:27 AM
link   

I do not believe that there was ever any doubt that life, or at least brain activity continues after heart function has ceased. The many accounts of beheaded nobles and royals down the ages, murderers and traitors, and the wives of rampant kings, who have had the flutterings of neurological function displayed on their faces, despite being absent the rest of their bodies, attests to that much at least.

No, there was never much doubt in my mind that the electrochemical system which is the brain takes some while to entirely power down, unless it is the brain itself which is destroyed, such as in the case of a large calibre gunshot wound to the skull.

posted on May, 17 2016 @ 08:28 AM
link   

The brain lasts three minutes after the heart stops? How is this news, much less proof of life after death?

This is the dif between "clinically" dead and "dead" dead. We have known this for a very long time now. People have been resuscitated after their hearts have been stopped for a considerably longer time. We know that brain activity goes on after the heart stops. That's why we have life support machines.

posted on May, 17 2016 @ 08:29 AM
link   

Yes there is something after death and it was one of the most surreal experiences I've ever had.

posted on May, 17 2016 @ 08:38 AM
link   
a reply to: FlyInTheOintment

Consciousness is the key to unlocking a lot of science IMO. Once we get a handle on consciousness, the scientific floodgates will open.

posted on May, 17 2016 @ 08:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: mclarenmp4
Consciousness is the key to unlocking a lot of science IMO. Once we get a handle on consciousness, the scientific floodgates will open.

Agreed. And I eagerly await the exciting information that we discover as a result!

posted on May, 17 2016 @ 08:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: Dweebsquad
www.npr.org...

Very interesting read

It was an interesting read! Worth it for sure. Here is a conclusion I concur with after studying NDE's since high school:

I found that dichotomy everywhere as I interviewed experts about the emerging science of spirituality. It's kind of like a Rorschach test: Some researchers look at the data and say spiritual experience is only an electrical storm in the temporal lobe, or a brain gasping for oxygen — all fully explainable by science. Others say our brains are reflecting an encounter with the divine.

And almost invariably, where a scientist stands on that issue has little to do with the clinical findings of any study. It has almost everything to do with the scientist's personal beliefs.

That is the bottom line truth, so far anyway. A skeptic/debunker can blow off any amazing experience someone has, any brain alteration, anything, really, and turn it into "brain chemistry" or some other mundane explanation. For me, those explanations just don't resonate - they seem inadequate to the experience the individual has had. I've read so many NDE's that it seems impossible a misfiring brain or oxygen starved brain alteration could really explain everything - especially when people fly up and find a relative coming to see them at their death bed on an airplane exactly when they are there, etc.

I wonder, in fact, if it is a matter of denial vs. openness to something beyond the pale of the physical world, rather than science vs belief.

Thanks for sharing that.

- AB

posted on May, 17 2016 @ 08:52 AM
link   
I know with my father, who actually died for almost 10 minutes on the table during open heart came to after the doctors last attempt at defibrillator said he saw nothing or felt nothing. He was known as "Lucky" throughout the ward. He was also deeply religious in a Pentacostal Church of God way.

You would figure if there was an afterlife everyone would be "affected".
edit on 17-5-2016 by Terminal1 because: Typo

posted on May, 17 2016 @ 08:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: angryhulk

originally posted by: bknapple32

It's been estimated that 170,000,000,000 people have lived and died throughout the existence of earth. You'd think that 1 of those would have come back told us what life after death is like (well, excluding Jesus, if that's your sort of thing).

posted on May, 17 2016 @ 09:03 AM
link   
What is a boffin???

I didn't know this was not already mainstream knowledge. I thought that was why there is sort of different ways to determine death. And there's the long history of heads showing signs of activity after being guillotined.
It seems to be the usual argument against NDE's being something other than a brain-generated dream.

posted on May, 17 2016 @ 09:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: MysterX

Not sure if this does anything to confirm or refute so-called 'life after death'..it probably does more to confirm that the brain continues to operate, at least in a limited capacity, after the heart stops...which we already knew of course.

Brain activity for 'up to 3 minutes' after the heart has stopped pumping oxygen rich blood to the brain is hardly groundbreaking news..people have had their hearts stopped for MUCH longer and have been resuscitated with no apparent ill effects..so nothing new in that.

Doesn't prove life after death at all..doesn't even offer evidence of it, let alone proof.

How do you prove something you can't see or measure?

Oh right, you don't.

Death, the divide, is an experience of the consciousness that is self aware; observing and experiencing that which is outside of itself.

Science will not prove the experiences that happen to individual consciousness observers when they divide from the flesh.

Just as science can't see and measure when one is lucid dreaming, astral projecting, that is, protecting their awareness/consciousness out of their body.

It doesn't take death for an individual to leave the body and have experiences beyond which is unseen by flesh and eyeballs...

Dreams are the example of that. You can dream and experience anything in the dream.

You see, hear, taste, touch and feel in the dream world. Will science be able to experience your dreams and see what you've seen is this space?

For myself, I've seen dreams and projecting out of body consciously, as the actuality that our being is more then flesh alone.

It's like our hint that there is more to ourselves locked in the prism of fleshly geometry.

posted on May, 17 2016 @ 09:27 AM
link   
DP.
edit on 17-5-2016 by Elementalist because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join