It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

sceptics, "believers," and sociopaths

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 10:02 PM
link   
So here's something I've noticed, and it's been a pattern that has been hard to quite place my finger on, rather irritating at times, but here it is. There seem to be three or four different principles in operation here, especially on this board that keep showing up in interactions, namely the arguments between "believers" and "skeptics." See, apparently we all live in a world of just "people who believe" and the kinds of people who will inhabit a screen name to just go down a list of things saying "that's stupid, that's stupid, that's stupid, on and on ad nauseam as if that's the point of things, to be that bad-ass buster. Somewhere in there, though you have sociopaths or narcissists or whatever, you dont really see those because apparently they're in the background doing whatever nefarious things...come to think of it I don't really know. And then you have the explorers. They explore. Now I've done my fair share of skeptical things but I also hold myself out as an explorer otherwise whoopdidoo why would I be here? So I can't help but get irked whenever I see a person running down a list if things going "huh that's dumb, huh that's dumb, huh that's dumb" with virtually no effort to discriminate. So here it goes, I, the 98% skeptic am telling you to please just shove it.

Now what I've noticed about some of that is that some people don't "like beliefs." They place themselves in a false paradigm where they=sceptic=gooood. Beliefs=monkeys=baaad. They've mimicked somewhere that that's part of the game. Where they see "belief activity" they swoop in and play the part of "skeptic." But what they can't see is that there are explorers, adrenaline junkies, yes trolls, and people behind a screen whose motives they really don't know. Is someone schizo who does and says anything maybe heaven forbid like ever? Well who knows, and I guess who cares? It's like this little funny game people are playing, oooh, I don't want to be called crayzeeeee. SIGH. Come on dude. If you're going to be a skeptic at least do it right.

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 10:05 PM
link   
Oh and the title is misspelled, I see that..

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 10:06 PM
link   
a reply to: breakingbs

See, apparently we all live in a world of just "people who believe"

ahh finally

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 10:06 PM
link   
What about those who believe some things and are skeptical about others?

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 10:08 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

We all believe in something, doubt is a natural phenomen, skeptics just have another belief system..

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 10:09 PM
link   
a reply to: PanPiper

What..."closer to the truth??"

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 10:10 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

I'm sure that's a lot of folks.

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 10:10 PM
link   
Some of us have been here long enough to have already seen nearly everything at least once or twice, in some form or another (though occasionally something new and interesting is brought forward). We've put in the time, and done the research, and it would be a waste of time to do so agai every time something is posted for the 10th time. Hence the "that's stupid" kind of posts. That's my opinion on the matter. Take it for what it's worth.

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 10:19 PM
link   
a reply to: AdmireTheDistance

I see ya there, but I wasn't talking about "research and debunking" per se. I do enough of that on my own. That's why I mentioned the other types of people in my post.

Edit- an adrenaline junkie is going to discredit a lot of stuff too. I'm just saying, it's not always about beliefs, sometimes someone is bored and looking for something to do..

edit on 16-5-2016 by breakingbs because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 10:22 PM
link   
Exactly, do it right if you're going to do it. Being annoying is another story. Some of what you see is contrarian for the sake of. After seeing at least a few "tests" people have claimed to run when confronted with their comments, I've changed my view on really believing anything that people say on here. Should be up to you who to believe, as some want a star grab, attention-positive or negative, etc.
edit on 16-5-2016 by dreamingawake because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 10:34 PM
link   

As a conventional Christian I am actually skeptical about many things presented on ATS (I hope that I also have a and questioning and investigative attitude to my faith, but others may disagree).

On the other hand, I can see others who proclaim themselves skeptical and scientific, yet happily talk, in an affirmative manner, of aliens, ghosts and 'alternative' spirituality. Go figure.

To me it shows the truth in the adage: "He who stands for nothing, will fall for anything".

edit on 16/5/2016 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 10:37 PM
link   

Both believers and skeptics are ultimately truth seekers and alternative thinkers.

When presented with documentation, imagery and other data which constitutes evidence towards a hypothesis on a particular subject matter, it is ultimately up to the individual to draw his or her own conclusions on what constitutes the 'truth'.

When you have been here on ATS for a while you come to realize that we all want the same thing - the truth...and in this regard many members approach certain subjects with a skeptical mindset due to the lack to evidence presented, which is needed to convince them to become believers.

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 10:37 PM
link   

If your point is that those who pop into threads with the sole purpose being to denigrate anything and everything someone else says, based, not on the topic, but the beliefs of the poster, then I agree; they aren't doing it right!

Seems to be a lot of that going on these days, more so than in the past.

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 10:38 PM
link   
a reply to: chr0naut

I like this comment, but as you said "others may disagree"..

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 10:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: breakingbs

I like this comment, but as you said "others may disagree"..

Thank you. We should be allowed to agree to disagree, but an empty "nope" type comment adds little to the conversation.

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 10:49 PM
link   

Ah no I wasn't disagreeing at all with that specific post, I meant that people in general can disagree with things, sorry if was not quite clear..
edit on 16-5-2016 by breakingbs because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 11:16 PM
link   
It's a conspiracy to divide us!

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 11:29 PM
link   

I often see us all as the Scooby Doo gang; sometimes we'll be Shaggy and other times be Velma. Do you know what I mean? It's okay to impose a character type on people (you're a skeptic, you're a believer) and easy to forget that are complex and people change.

I know a hardass 'skeptic' who is Shaggy when it comes to the afterlife and synchronicity and pure Velma with the UFOs. There are believers who are all Scooby with the ghosts and get all Fred with the Intel psy-ops stuff. Some of us group together and can be Shaggy and Scooby all at once...losing our direction and panicky.

Sometimes people play Old Man Jenkins too lol

So really, when we stereotype others, we should be asking which one of the gang we are today?

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 11:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

Well, I wasn't stereotyping, but I was going by behavior, understanding, yes, that very fact!

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 11:44 PM
link   
a reply to: FlyingFox

Well then..let's unite..

Sorry I'm in a jokey mood tonight..

top topics

<<   2 >>

join