It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Israeli divers uncover trove of shipwrecked Roman treasure

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 06:45 PM
link   
I love when people find historical stuff from shipwrecks. I'm sure they are even happier to be the ones that find it. Just imagining from the time whatever disaster happened to all the tides since that have pushed and pulled, buried and unburied the treasure is fascinating really. How many times may someone have swam or fished right over it with never a clue as to what was below them.

SO, some snippets from the article for you :

CAESAREA, Israel — A chance discovery by two divers uncovered Israel's biggest find of underwater Roman-era artifacts in three decades, archaeologists said Monday as the priceless objects were showcased for the first time.

The Israel Antiquities Authority sent its divers to investigate and recover the precious Roman-era cargo, which includes bronze statues, lamps, jars, animal-shaped objects, anchors and thousands of coins with images of Roman emperors Constantine and Licinius

Some of the objects date to the fourth century, while others are from the first and second centuries, said Jacob Sharvit, director of marine archaeology at the IAA.

Seems to be quite the find. I hope eventually it finds its way into a traveling display so we might at least get a chance to view it for ourselves.
I don't want to post the whole article here, but there is more too it if you care to read it for yourself.

It also has a picture of some of the finds.

LINK TO ARTICLE

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 06:49 PM
link   
a reply to: onehuman

Nice find.

Roman archeology really fascinates me, how their empire influenced so much of the modern world

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 06:51 PM
link   
a reply to: onehuman

Good find op .....

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 07:21 PM
link   
a reply to: the2ofusr1

Very nice! Thanks for adding the video, it has added so much more to the flavor of the find.

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 08:52 PM
link   
Flag for great find for archaeology and will advance knowledge of the Roman Era. I wonder if they'll ever figure out what happened to the harbor there for sure as there are conflicting theories. It looks like the local museum will have a trove of new exhibits for their collection. My best,

posted on May, 17 2016 @ 10:20 AM
link   
rofl at the last picture of a hand from a statue in the video, priceless

new topics

top topics

join