It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I have Become A Libertarian

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 09:04 PM
link   
a reply to: [post=20733726]Onesmartdo
That explains alot about the weird looks I get.

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 09:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy
a reply to: Onesmartdog

Be prepared to be called a liberal by conservatives and a conservative by liberals.

It feels good though.

Honestly, I believe the Libertarians today are more conservative than the rank & file GOP is. The Republican party has swung well to the left, to the point where the Religious Right, who were the backbone of the party in the 80s and 90s are now considered the extreme right fringe by most. The Libertarians have really only changed in so much as they've accepted the fact that one can be a Libertarian and still strongly believe in the right to life.

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 09:25 PM
link   
Honestly, for me, I wouldn't join any party. Seems to make people think they know your stance on a given political subject. I don't think anyone can fit exactly into one parties positions, so I won't join any of them. I do have to say I agree with most of what Libertarians say. Leave me alone and I'll leave you alone is pretty much how I look a this world.
edit on 5/16/2016 by FlyingWhale because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 09:29 PM
link   
A friend shared this with me . What are your thoughts? My brain is still somewhat of a sponge.

John Birch.

Well, just One view point.
Sorry for quoting wiki, learning as I go. Correct me if I am wrong.

The John Birch Society (JBS) is, in its own words, a conservative advocacy group supporting anti-communism and limited government.[2][3][4] It has been described as a radical right and far-right organization.[5][6][7][7][8] Businessman and founder Robert W. Welch, Jr. (1899–1985) developed an organizational infrastructure in 1958 of chapters nationwide. Its main activity in the 1960s, said Rick Perlstein, "comprised monthly meetings to watch a film by Welch, followed by writing postcards or letters to government officials linking specific policies to the Communist menace".[9] After an early rise in membership and influence, efforts by those such as conservative William F. Buckley, Jr. and National Review led the JBS to be identified as a fringe element of the conservative movement, mostly in fear of the radicalization of the American right.[10][11]

en.wikipedia.org...

Founded in 1958, the John Birch Society (JBS) fiercely opposed the Civil Rights Movement during the 1960s and 1970s. Decades later, the rise of the Tea Party and the ongoing “Ron Paul Revolution” have helped the JBS make a comeback as it attracts young people by re-branding itself as “libertarian.” The organization is a significant force behind promoting the nullification of federal laws, as described in the most recent issue of The Public Eye. The JBS has also helped provide fodder for accusations that President Obama, considered by most Democrats to have governed as a centrist, is a Marxist.

www.politicalresearch.org...

Living in the woods and eating tree bark is sounding better after each click of the keyboard.

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 09:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: FlyingWhale
Honestly, for me, I wouldn't join any party. Seems to make people think they know your stance on a given political subject. I don't think anyone can fit exactly into one parties positions, so I won't join any of them. I do have to say I agree with most of what Libertarians say. Leave me alone and I'll leave you alone is pretty much how I look a this world.

I can agree with you.
But, I am starting the tree bark party.

There ya go.

Eating tree bark and living in the woods.

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 09:40 PM
link   
a reply to: [post=20734282]Onesmartdog[/post
I don't think I'd go so far as living in the woods. Society is important to a point. Love the new party name.

Edit: I made it sound like I would eat bark. LOL!
edit on 5/16/2016 by FlyingWhale because: I don't eat bark

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 09:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: FlyingWhale
a reply to: [post=20734282]Onesmartdog[/post
I don't think I'd go so far as living in the woods. Society is important to a point. Love the new party name.

Edit: I made it sound like I would eat bark. LOL!

Nominating Groot as my candidate...

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 09:56 PM
link   

I agree with a lot of the JBS' positions, honestly. I find them to be reasonable, just, and eerily accurate.

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 10:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

I agree with a lot of the JBS' positions, honestly. I find them to be reasonable, just, and eerily accurate.

I don't know.
Still researching this aspect.

There is so much shady, underhanded pre-planned stuff.
I just don't trust anything, or anyone.

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 10:09 PM
link   
I'm Libertarian philosophically, but they aren't going anywhere as a Party and their Pro Open Border/Pathway To Citizenship/Free Market trumps borders.... platform was garbage, so I left.

Until they change it, I'll remain out. Sucks.

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 10:14 PM
link   

Welcome to the club.

However, don't let yourself get tied to one political ideology as sometimes a one fit for everything isn't the best answer.

Having said that , IMO the right political ideology for TODAY is the libertarian party. The reason being is because congress is rampant with conflict of interest and corruption. So why grow and give more power to a corrupted gov't. The best thing to do right now is shrink gov't and take away some of there power then rebuild back up.

The problem today is that both the Democrat and Republican party work for the lobbyist and the lobbyist like big govt , hence why both party give you big govt.

The reason why the lobbyist want big Govt is because they control the govt and the govt controls the people and the market . So they run the show and get more power with big govt.

IMO I think we need to
1. Shrink gov't

2. Get rid of Conflict of Interest and Focus on the right things

3.Then lets look at different political ideology based on the individual sectors and problems.

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 10:20 PM
link   
I can't support the libertarian party because it seems to me that so many Libertarians have no clue of the reality of life in this country. Big business would destroy every person, plant and animal in existence if the government wasn't there to stop them, as well as scamming and bankrupting all of us.

And don't claim that "the market" would prevent it, there's an extremely long history of business doing every kind of immoral, inhuman and underhanded trick imaginable.

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 10:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: CB328
I can't support the libertarian party because it seems to me that so many Libertarians have no clue of the reality of life in this country. Big business would destroy every person, plant and animal in existence if the government wasn't there to stop them, as well as scamming and bankrupting all of us.

And don't claim that "the market" would prevent it, there's an extremely long history of business doing every kind of immoral, inhuman and underhanded trick imaginable.

Big business and government already do all that.

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 10:59 PM
link   
a reply to: CB328

I can't support the libertarian party because it seems to me that so many Libertarians have no clue of the reality of life in this country.

Big business would destroy every person, plant and animal in existence if the government wasn't there to stop them Big business would destroy every person, plant and animal in existence if the government wasn't there to stop them, as well as scamming and bankrupting all of us.

1: Those things are all happening now with BIG GOVT

if the government wasn't there to stop them Big business

2. You have that backwards , The gov't works for Big Business not the other way around.
Congress is dependent on Big Business to get elected, re-elected, fund-raising, MSM positive image, and to be allowed to the presidential debate committee .

Govt doesn't stop them , they just hide the real intentions.

www.businessinsider.com...

The U.S. government does not represent the interests of the majority of the country's citizens, but is instead ruled by those of the rich and powerful, a new study from Princeton and Northwestern universities has concluded.

3. The reason you NEED small govt now is because congress is riddled with corruption and conflict of interest.. You cant expect to give a corrupted entity more power and for them to help you. You need to shrink them to get back control from them than lets talk about growing the govt again.

edit on 00531America/ChicagoMon, 16 May 2016 23:00:17 -0500000000p3142 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

edit on 10531America/ChicagoMon, 16 May 2016 23:10:05 -0500000000p3142 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2016 @ 11:14 AM
link   

It is almost like being a librarian. Living by the book, constitution.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join