It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I have Become A Libertarian

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 05:26 PM
link   
It is time for a fundamental change in the two party system. There are some things I like about the Republican party, and some things I like about the Democratic party.
What I don't like is , for one, all the candidates for these two parties. Second, all this bull# going on in both parties. I have been fed up for years , basically left with no choice.

After reading up on the Libertarian party, Their political idealogy run parallel to my own.

The Libertarian Party (LP) is a libertarian political party in the United States that promotes civil liberties, free markets, non-interventionism, and laissez-faire.[7] The LP was conceived at meetings in the home of David F. Nolan in Westminster, Colorado during 1971[8] and was officially formed on December 11, 1971 in Colorado Springs, Colorado.[8] The founding of the party was prompted in part due to concerns about the Vietnam War, conscription, and the end of the gold standard.[9] Gary Johnson, the party's presidential nominee in 2012, states that the party is more culturally liberal than the Democrats, but more fiscally conservative than the Republicans. The party has generally promoted a classical liberal platform, in contrast to the modern liberal and progressive platform of the Democrats and the more conservative platform of the Republicans.[10] Current policy positions include lowering taxes,[11] allowing people to opt out of Social Security,[12] ending welfare,[13] ending the prohibition of illegal drugs,[14] supporting same-sex marriage rights,[15] and supporting gun ownership rights.[16]

en.wikipedia.org...(United_States)

What are your thoughts on this party?

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 05:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Onesmartdog

what were you before?

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 05:31 PM
link   

Welcome to normalcy.

I find that both the Republican and Democratic parties are the two authoritarian sides to the same coin. The are driven by their extremist wings and I have no desire to be politically related to either.

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 05:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: TechniXcality

what were you before?

Who ever I thought was the best candidate. I am union, so I kind of favor Democrates, but, I have swung both ways.

Yes, I am a political swinger. LOL !

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 05:35 PM
link   

Be prepared to be called a liberal by conservatives and a conservative by liberals.

It feels good though.

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 05:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Welcome to normalcy.

I find that both the Republican and Democratic parties are the two authoritarian sides to the same coin. The are driven by their extremist wings and I have no desire to be politically related to either.

Exactly why I have been done with both parties for awhile.

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 05:38 PM
link   
Cool. And when you get to be 65+ you'll become a Republican again.

Generally it goes:

Teens: anarchy

20's, 30's (even SOME 40's): Libertarians

40's, 50's: consider themselves neither Republican or Libertarian, adamant they're "moderate"

60+: Give up and register Republican

I have observed the transition from stage to stage myself with my own eyes.

There's a similar pattern with liberal people too. It's just how people age and their thought patterns change.

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 05:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: MystikMushroom

Generally it goes:

40's, 50's: consider themselves neither Republican or Libertarian, adamant they're "moderate"

There's a similar pattern with liberal people too. It's just how people age and their thought patterns change.

By then, my plan will be in place, I will be living off the grid, self-sustained.

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 05:56 PM
link   

Wise choice.

Welcome to the normal side.

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 06:00 PM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

No individuals among us.

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 06:13 PM
link   

Welcome, my son.

Come into the light out of the darkness.

edit on 16-5-2016 by gladtobehere because: wording

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 06:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Onesmartdog

Voted for Gary Johnson back in 2012 because he really is a great candidate even though you clearly realize your vote is basically wasted as he doesn't have a chance in hell in winning. That being said, a choice between Obama x2 or Romney was like a pick between Hitler or Stalin. Johnson is once again clearly the best choice this time around, but with virtually no press coverage, or exposure during national debates he's virtually unknown to the vast majority of the public.

The question begs to be asked: Do you "throw away" your vote and vote for anyone third party to retain your beliefs and ethics or do you "dance with the devil" and vote for one of the two major party nominees in hopes your vote will actually have relevance when it really doesn't anyway?

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Down there, the US population density puts at least one other person with you per square mile....you'd never be out of potential visual range of another human being.

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 06:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nucleardoom

originally posted by: Onesmartdog

Voted for Gary Johnson back in 2012 because he really is a great candidate even though you clearly realize your vote is basically wasted as he doesn't have a chance in hell in winning. That being said, a choice between Obama x2 or Romney was like a pick between Hitler or Stalin. Johnson is once again clearly the best choice this time around, but with virtually no press coverage, or exposure during national debates he's virtually unknown to the vast majority of the public.

The question begs to be asked: Do you "throw away" your vote and vote for anyone third party to retain your beliefs and ethics or do you "dance with the devil" and vote for one of the two major party nominees in hopes your vote will actually have relevance when it really doesn't anyway?

I usually throw away my vote. Except the few times I voted to cancel out the ex's vote for Obama.

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 06:34 PM
link   

Down there, the US population density puts at least one other person with you per square mile....you'd never be out of potential visual range of another human being.

Apparently, you have never been down here, especially Kentucky.

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 06:43 PM
link   
A true Libertarian bases law and government on freedom of the individual . The way I put it , I really dont give a rat's rear what anyone else does as long as they are not hurting someone. And government shouldnt either.
Not truly my style but goof for you...
Peace.

edit on 5/16/16 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 06:50 PM
link   

Generally it goes:

Got numbers ? Self-observation doesnt amount to a "hill of beans"
And your stages do not include the following
Progressive Liberalism , Liberalism and Democrat. If we are going to use self- observation those stages come early in life before the individual encounters this thing called "life" and gains wisdom thereof. Hopefully. Some never do.
Of course , some never grow up into the real world.

edit on 5/16/16 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 07:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: gladtobehere

Welcome, my son.

Come into the light out of the darkness.

Love it !

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 07:06 PM
link   

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 07:41 PM
link   
Does appeal to me. I like the whole "You're responsible for your actions, but you're free to do things if you don't force them on me."

A big reason taxes are so high is because there're so many special clauses and because people don't want to face the consequences of their actions. Because of this freedom is illusory and double standards are common.

Evenso, I don't think libertarianism is realistic in this world in its current state. I can't explain with hard facts so I'll just stop here.
edit on 5/16/2016 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join