It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Genetically Modified Ants Could Replace Honeybees

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 04:24 PM
link   
In this article, a Monsanto expert explains how GE crops are causing honeybees to decline across the world.

“Latest studies have found a link between neonicotinoid pesticides that are vastly used in GE corn crops [and honeybee decline]. As GE farming has become an essential part of agriculture in today’s modern world, we had to develop ways to promote both the continuity of GE farming and the survival of the honey bees, a fascinating challenge” admits John Leere, head biochemist of the project.

The first thing they did was try and genetically engineer a new honeybee that was resistant to these pesticides. When this didn't work, they decided that they were going to cross-breed honeybees with ants to create a flying, pollinating ant.

“Yet, we did not despair and eventually started testing on winged virgin queens and males of the ant species. Although ants usually lose their wings after the queen has been inseminated and starts to give birth to the new colony, genetic manipulation has produced a flying ant species that is strikingly similar to the common honey bee, and 50 times stronger to certain types of pesticides” he acknowledges, visibly enthused by the discovery.

“Through genetic manipulations, we could eventually create a hybrid species that would have both the common honey bee’s pollinating characteristics, as well as possess the pesticide immunization properties of certain ant species, a perfect match that would take thousands of years to develop on its own in nature” he explains.

So my first impression was a *facepalm*. They got themselves into trouble by genetically engineering crops, which caused a honeybee decline, so now they are going to attempt to make a new kind of insect? What will this do?

On the other hand, GE crops have increased food yields across the world and added traits such as flood resistance to rice. It is quite interesting. Making a new species of a flying, pollinating ant takes the cake, though.

+8 more 
posted on May, 16 2016 @ 04:29 PM
link   
Here we go.. Let's release a load of zombie/frankenstein creatures that are not native to anywhere because we made them and see what happens..
I've never heard anything so stupid in my life.. You just couldn't make it up..

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 04:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Misterlondon

This article originated on a satire/hoax site, it is not real: www.metabunk.org...

"WNDR assumes however all responsibility for the satirical nature of its articles and for the fictional nature of their content."

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 04:42 PM
link   
Yeah, let's help cause the honeybee's decline and replace it with a solution we came up with before it was too late.

Problem, Reaction, Solution, Profit

Crisis averted...

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 04:48 PM
link   
It is a hoax article, so should be moved to HOAX. But it is soooo close to things that Monsanto and other companies have really done. Another, similar company may be responsible for the uptick in Zika virus...via letting loose a mosquito that would be sterile, yet stepped up mutation. Also stepping up the severity and faster spread of Zika.

This thread will likley lose the flags and the stars due to the source. I hope it can just be moved to HOAX so we can save the information, though.
edit on 16-5-2016 by reldra because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 04:51 PM
link   
www.youtube.com...

Kick some Ant ass.

Earth Defense Force video game Commerical
www.youtube.com...

edit on 16-5-2016 by makemap because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 04:52 PM
link   
I got it on natural news (not my favorite), but I do not think has been listed as a hoax site Natural news Monsanto ants

I don;t know who EarthFirst! is, but it doesn;t seem too bad and they have similar. Robotic bees to Pollinate monsanto crops
edit on 16-5-2016 by reldra because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 04:54 PM
link   
I will sit back and patiently wait for a genetically modified two ton slug that is composed entirely of bacon that feeds on ISIS recruits.

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 04:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: makemap
www.youtube.com...

Kick some Ant ass.

www.youtube.com...

OMG that was hysterical. I would listen to that man. lol

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 05:15 PM
link   
As a beekeeper I would like to say that the problem is intensive agriculture and neonicotinoid pesticides. In fact, the detrimental link between pesticides and bees is established. Intensive mono-agriculture just means bees starve.

Not sure how GE is in this equation, especially as GE corn is not pollinated by bees. The OP is confused, IMHO. Trying to throw in too much to reach a conclusion that does not need so much effort. I agree this is a hoax, but hey, some people will believe it.

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 06:07 PM
link   
Africanized Killer Bullet-Ant-Bees

What's next?

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 06:57 PM
link   
I agree that this is probably a hoax. But I'll pretend that this is real for a second lol.

1. Would these pollinating ants pollinate all types of vegetation? Or would they be designed to only pollinate Monsanto's crops? Maybe Monsanto would add a gene to their crops to make their pollen enticing to the ants?

2. What would stop Monsanto from designing these new pollinators to either kill off the rest of the bees or somehow taint non-Monsanto crops? It would be a brilliantly evil way to kill off their competition. They could even "kill off" the bees through competition, kind of like the invasive species that cause native species to die off. Or the ants' waste could coincidentally include Roundup, which would kill off crops that weren't "Roundup Ready".

3. Would Monsanto own the rights to these pollinating ants? As in, could they prosecute farmers (or civilians) for having their crops pollinated by these ants if the farmer isn't paying a license for their services? Monsanto already prosecutes farmers for illegally growing Monsanto products without a license.

Clearly, I think this would be horrible. I've never liked the idea of companies controlling the world's food supply, but controlling the world's ability to pollinate crops would be infinitely worse.

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 07:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: enlightenedservant
I agree that this is probably a hoax. But I'll pretend that this is real for a second lol.

1. Would these pollinating ants pollinate all types of vegetation? Or would they be designed to only pollinate Monsanto's crops? Maybe Monsanto would add a gene to their crops to make their pollen enticing to the ants?

2. What would stop Monsanto from designing these new pollinators to either kill off the rest of the bees or somehow taint non-Monsanto crops? It would be a brilliantly evil way to kill off their competition. They could even "kill off" the bees through competition, kind of like the invasive species that cause native species to die off. Or the ants' waste could coincidentally include Roundup, which would kill off crops that weren't "Roundup Ready".

3. Would Monsanto own the rights to these pollinating ants? As in, could they prosecute farmers (or civilians) for having their crops pollinated by these ants if the farmer isn't paying a license for their services? Monsanto already prosecutes farmers for illegally growing Monsanto products without a license.

Clearly, I think this would be horrible. I've never liked the idea of companies controlling the world's food supply, but controlling the world's ability to pollinate crops would be infinitely worse.

Point one.... good point.

Christ, think about it. You are at a board meeting at some division of Monsanto and they break this new ant design to you. After the applause dies down a question is presented to the audience.

" Now folks, we at Beeant Team have a question for you... how would you use this New Organism?"

Those in the audience are encouraged to pass their suggestions on to supervisors. These ideas are evaluated for profit and feasibility. Numbers are tested against models based on available resources and the ability to acquire patents.

Grease the palms of a third world politician to allow the release of said idea into the local crops without the people's knowledge.

Oh well, this is an exciting time to be here.

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 08:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: chris_stibrany
a reply to: Misterlondon

This article originated on a satire/hoax site, it is not real: www.metabunk.org...

"WNDR assumes however all responsibility for the satirical nature of its articles and for the fictional nature of their content."

Thanks, I did not know this. The article does seem satirical.

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 09:14 PM
link   
Oh HELL NAW!! These people never seen kingdom of the ants? or that movie in the amazon? bad idea. I mean as in man eating mutation bad. Good thing its a hoax....for now.

posted on May, 17 2016 @ 01:55 AM
link   
FFS Stop messing with the nature and realness, ppl are so fraging mad already they want to destroy the nature as well...

posted on May, 17 2016 @ 09:06 AM
link   
a reply to: darkbake

When I read the heading I knew it was Monsanto. Now I know we're all into conspiracy theories here, but I'm pretty sure this is the last piece of evidence to prove that they are trying to control the worlds food supply. They caused they honeybee die-off, now they are trying to fix it with another one of their 'products'. This is crazy, the effect these ants will have on the ecosystem not to mention the fact that they will be under copywright law makes it insane.

Monsanto, you make me believe in TPTB. Monsanto, you make me believe we're all just pawns.
F*** anything GM.

posted on May, 17 2016 @ 09:21 AM
link   
a reply to: darkbake

These people won't be happy until they destroy the biosphere completely.

They don't care about unleashing GE crops into the biosphere, potentially contaiminating our flora irrepairably.

They don't care about introducing GE insects into the biosphere, potentially contaminating our fauna irrepairably.

They don't care their pesticides are destroying the primary means of plant pollination, the Honeybees.

But of course they do care about money. Good luck with being able to spend it, when the world is a wasteland.

They'll kill off all the bees, then come up with a franken-ant-bee to use for pollination and charge every farmer and crop producer when their crops are pollinated..."Since we've killed off all the bees, your crops MUST have been pollinated by our, proprietry GE Ant-bees..hand over the money".

Now...got that off my chest...this is a fake story isn't it? I mean...imagine them actually admiting they're responsible for the bee die offs!

They'd be sued all over the planet.
edit on 17 5 2016 by MysterX because: added text

top topics

join