It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Male Babysitters: Your Opinion?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Earlier I made a comment about women being the preferred sex of babysitters. I only know of two male babysitters in my entire extended family and friend group, but I'm in a rural, somewhat ideologically conservative place.

Now that I'll actually be a parent, my mind got turning. Would I hire a male babysitter for a night at the movies, etc? I really struggle with the idea. Why?

I started babysitting at 11. I had a course with first aid, and a lot of experience with younger cousins, etc. I know a few 11 year old girls who I would trust to babysit my child for a few hours, and absolutely zero 11 year old boys who I would consider for the same task.

Does this come down to traditional gender roles as we know it, with some young women all ready being predisposed to child care, and not so many young men having the same ingrained ability?

Would you as a parent hire a young or teenaged boy to babysit your children? Why or why not? I'm definitely looking for a discussion, and I'm not claiming that boys shouldn't babysit.

**** I think I should clarify that I'm not really talking about family members babysitting for other family members.
Think of that teenage girl down the street who might have babysat you. If it was a boy, would your Mom/Dad have been okay with it? Would you be now?

edit on 16-5-2016 by Atsbhct because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Definitely would. I have a grandson, 17, who is extremely good with kids. He has a 3 year old brother and a five year old sister and babysits regularly. I've seen him in action and he's very good with both of them including tending them when they were babies. He's going to make a great father someday. So if you know the kid and he has some experience, do it.

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 02:42 PM
link   
No. I know that there are some teenage boys that are well qualified to babysit. I just don't know any. My kids have never been left with anyone other than my Dad or my niece. It's just so hard for me to trust my babies with other people.

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 02:45 PM
link   
a reply to: schuyler

If it was family, I would definitely consider.

I'm talking more about the kind of babysitter I was as a teenager. One parent knew I babysat, passed my number along, etc. I only met some parents for ten minutes at a time. Would parents have been comfortable with that if I was a teenaged boy?

Do boys just not want to babysit, and this is why we don't see them as often? Why do I have this strange wariness of male babysitters, where as if a friend said, "Julie down the street babysits my kids and she's great." I probably wouldn't hesitate to let her babysit my own kid.

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Being The Youngest Of 5... I sat for my older brother and sisters.
Funny Ass Kids. Made Good Money Too.
But... No! Some Youngsters Would Rather Tune In To Others Things. Too Many Distractions.
Kids Are Magnets For Trouble... Gotta Be Keen.

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 02:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Kentuckymama

So we've got one vote for male babysitters and one vote for no babysitters.

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 02:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Atsbhct

I have 4 kids, my eldest son babysat the neighborhood kids for years without any issues.

I think it just comes down to the traditional gender roles.

I found that boys babysitting boys did a better job vs a girl babysitting boys and vice versa.

~Tenth

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 02:55 PM
link   
A lot factors into it. I worked at a preschool as a teacher's aide and family advocate. And that alone was tough being a male. I would get looks like i was a creepo. So i would have to casually work into conversation with parents that I too had kids, like "Oh my daughter has those same Frozen shoes." Stuff like that.

I'm good with kids, and I suppose if i knew the boy well enough and had seem him interact with my children it would just be a judgement call. I think boys are totally capable, but there needs to be caution, same with young girls. Never know who's been through what, i suppose.

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 02:55 PM
link   
a reply to: tothetenthpower

Good point.

When I think of letting a teenage boy babysit my young daughter, I'm leery. I would have no problem letting a teenage girl babysit my young son.

How do these stereotypes get into our minds? How do we overcome them?

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 02:57 PM
link   
"Creepers" come in all sizes, ages, colors, and genders.

If you trust the person you leave your child with why does it matter if it is a male or a female or the race or religion?

I find it ridiculous you resort to asking a conspiracy website about the safety of your child with a stranger.

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 02:58 PM
link   
My cousin did some babysitting and he was good at it. It wasn't his preferred thing to do, but he would in a pinch. The school our son goes to also has a group of babysitting older kids; some of them are boys. They're also very good.

I think it just depends on you and what your comfort is and how well you know the kid in question.

When it comes to adults, things get a bit iffier for me. Some guys are very good with kids and no trouble, but them again most of the child abuse and deaths are the boyfriend of the mother. And then there are the sex abuse stories ...

link   
I had a male baby sitter, he was always really cool and more fun the girl who used to tell me ghost stories that disturbed me

link   

I have never left my child with a baby sitter I didn't know. Male or female was irrelevant, just known and trusted.
The Julie babysits for my friend so I'll use her thing is alien to me. Different worlds I guess, but gender is not the concern.
Trust is paramount to me, how can you trust someone you don't know with the most important people in your life?

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 02:59 PM
link   
a reply to: denybedoomed

I think you're exactly who I wanted to hear from.

You're not a creepo (probably, this is the Internet. I could be a creepo too), but you face all of these stereotypes. Why?

I think most assaults on children are perpetrated by family, so why are we leery of an accredited and vetted male teachers aide?

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 02:59 PM
link   
Having been a teenaged male, I can say with confidence, NO.
I was not really qualified until I became a grandfather.
Teenaged boys will steal your liquor and underwear and car and look you in the face and lie. That's the good ones.

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 03:01 PM
link   
a reply to: georgeglass

I don't have a child yet. I don't need strangers to help verify the safety of my child. I'm posing a discussion in an online community and trying to figure out where the stereotype behind male vs. female babysitters stems from.

I find it ridiculous that you bothered to participate and then that was your comment.

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 03:01 PM
link   
I wouldn't have a problem if i have known the male for years,like my best friend's son or my hubby's apprentice.Good decent responsible young men.I would not leave my kids with anyone of any gender that i did not know long and well.My daughter is 18 so she usually is the babysitter.

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 03:03 PM
link   
a reply to: grainofsand

I get that outlook as well.

I suppose in my case...very small town. Everyone knows who everyone else is, which fosters a sense of trust, which of course can be a false sense of trust.

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 03:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Atsbhct
a reply to: georgeglass

I don't have a child yet. I don't need strangers to help verify the safety of my child. I'm posing a discussion in an online community and trying to figure out where the stereotype behind male vs. female babysitters stems from.

I find it ridiculous that you bothered to participate and then that was your comment.

Really? You ask for an opinion it is not what you wanted to read so you attack.

Quite immature, give a lot of thought to growing up before you have children.

edit on 16-5-2016 by georgeglass because: (no reason given)

edit on 16-5-2016 by georgeglass because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 03:08 PM
link   

It's not a vote for no babysitter. I just don't know any teenage males that I would use as a babysitter.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join