It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Texas GOP Adopts Platform to Stop Abortion and End LGBT Rights

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+5 more 
posted on May, 16 2016 @ 01:10 PM
link   
www.houstonpress.com...

The 2016 platform (they compile one every couple years), however, is in some ways confusing. It begins by stating it believes that government must be "restrained from intruding on the freedoms of its citizens" and exists to protect rights, not grant them. But once you make it to the section titled "STRENGTHENING FAMILIES, PROTECTING LIFE, AND PROMOTING HEALTH," it is rather clear that it would like to restrict the rights of gay and transgender people as much as possible.

I'm all for states rights until they become a way to discriminate against people that live there.

This is one proposal the disturbed me.

Further, the Texas GOP would like to "strengthen American identity," which "includes the contribution and assimilation of diverse racial and ethnic groups."

What exactly is the "American Identity"? How do you assimilate racial and ethnic people; and if they don "assimilate" what is the punishment.

and then this....

It wants sex ed teachers to teach abstinence until marriage and opposes all curriculum that in any way make kids think being gay or transgender is okay. Before it can secure a total ban on abortions, it wants to ban the morning-after pill, and doesn't want condoms distributed in schools.

Makes me ashamed to call myself a Texan....glad I don't live there. They would probably lock me up for not being properly assimilated.
edit on 16-5-2016 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 01:13 PM
link   
There's a lot in that.

What's wrong with the morning after pill? And why shouldn't all American's have equal rights regardless of sexual orientation. Especially when sexual orientation isn't a choice. Easy Texas.

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 01:15 PM
link   
And how does anybody know for sure if the majority of LGBTQ want to be exposed to public ridicule?

Maybe most want their privacy intact.

+7 more 
posted on May, 16 2016 @ 01:17 PM
link   
The GOP wants Texas to be a theocracy. Plain and simple.

This is my state too, and I hope enough Democrats from California move here to take out the GOP in Texas once and for all.

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 01:18 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

Wow. Great job there Texas.

So their idea of Protecting the Rights of People as Individuals is to remove their choices on birth control, Assimilate those who are different than themselves and Label all those who they think are not ok.

Sounds like some good protections alright. As long as you fit their description of what's OK and Act and Think in ways they agree with.

Ahhh....That's Amerikan Freedum for ya!!

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 01:23 PM
link   

I don't see any rights being taken away in this platform. Just because something isn't encouraged doesn't mean you are taking away rights. This OP is all about false assumptions and faux outrage.

link   

I still own the family farm in Texas. It's been in my family for 150 years .....FOR SALE

link   

I hate abortion, I hate the idea of abortion, but it is legal, so people have that right.

The LGBT issue? If it's not democrats in my wallet, it's republicans in my pants.

It's why I hate all politicians.

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Thats why the establsiment GOP are being routed.

They just repeat the same failing record.

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Meh, whatcha expect being 1916 and all...

uh, wait... (counts fingers, consults calendar) ... hey, we're in the 21st century! They're all backwards, mean and dumb!

Maybe some scientists can go investigate the time warping effects that seem to be happening at the borders of that state?

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 01:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus

I don't see any rights being taken away in this platform. Just because something isn't encouraged doesn't mean you are taking away rights. This OP is all about false assumptions and faux outrage.
That's because you agree with them. Any thinking person can see this is a discrimination bill. No matter the Soctus will toss it.

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 02:03 PM
link   
All I have to say.

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 02:13 PM
link   
a reply to: damwel

Any thinking person can see this is a discrimination bill. No matter the Soctus will toss it.

It's not a bill, it's a "platform".

The GOP has a platform that its politicians and candidates MUST adhere to. HERE is a link to the GOP National Platform. The document in the OP is the State of Texas GOP Platform. Meaning that all Texas Republicans must adhere to the National Platform as well as the Texas Platform, when legislating.

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 02:36 PM
link   

What exactly is the "American Identity"? How do you assimilate racial and ethnic people; and if they don "assimilate" what is the punishment.

Right on!

Except when it comes to bankers,ceo's, business owners, gun owners, and the bloody evil rich.

Well then it's right as rain to punish those people.

Chalking this thread to 'faux' outrage.

Because protections, and EQUAL rights only matter to GOP critics when it comes to THEIR protected classes.

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 02:51 PM
link   
The GOP will experience blow back for this dumbass platform. It's just pandering to the Trump mentality that thinks they have the WH election in the bag.

I'm still going to sell my farm...but keep the oil leases. I may be a Texan, but I'm not stupid like the Republicans currently in power at the state house. This platform will blow up in their faces. It's not 1950 anymore. goober!

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 02:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12

I still own the family farm in Texas. It's been in my family for 150 years .....FOR SALE

How much? Send photos. Sign me up!

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 04:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Rezlooper

originally posted by: olaru12

How much? Send photos. Sign me up!

Gladly....

u2u me and I'll send you the realtor with the listing.

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 08:08 PM
link   

Two words -

Go, Texas!

Seriously, one of the best things I've heard about the state in ages. Starting to look more like the Texas I knew growing up. Maybe I'll move back.....

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 10:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: LadyGreenEyes

Two words -

Go, Texas!

Seriously, one of the best things I've heard about the state in ages. Starting to look more like the Texas I knew growing up. Maybe I'll move back.....

Miss the jim crow laws huh? This is once again Texan GOPs thinking they are better than anyone else yet again.
Why were at it texas re segregate the bathrooms,and remove womens rights to vote too. Oh and toss out them Indians that still live there. And the Legal mexicans too. they arent True texans right?

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Have you read the actual platform, or just this Houston chronicle article that refers to illegal immigrants (i.e. people here illegally) as "undocumented immigrants"? Right off the bat that tells me what kind of slant I'm going to be reading.

For example, they support repealing the NDAA and indefinite detention of US citizens, they support term limits for federal and state elected officials, they support the repeal of the Freedom Act and spying on citizens, they state that the Government should not exempt its elected class from any laws the citizens must follow, they oppose the appointment of unelected bureaucrats, among other things.

As far as abortion, they state that they support decreasing the cost of adoption and making the process more efficient, etc.

I don't have time to go into details, but I encourage anyone wanting to discuss the platform to actually read the platform itself (it is only 26 pages) and then come away with your own analysis. I am a libertarian and I agree a lot of GOPers here have a theocratic take on things, but I find it disingenuous to gobble up liberal talking points without reading the source material.

Texas GOP Platform
edit on 18-5-2016 by SonOfThor because: sp

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join