It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is anyone working on a cure for trans people?

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 09:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee

Has there ever been another mental condition removed from the DSM without an alternative biological explanation?

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 09:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bone75
a reply to: Annee

Has there ever been another mental condition removed from the DSM without an alternative biological explanation?

I don't know.

But, I was reading the boards when it was discussed, and when they made that decision and why.

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 10:31 PM
link   
a reply to: DumpMaster

Why exactly do they need to be cured? Are we working on a cure for bigots? That would serve the world better IMHO.

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 10:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Noinden

Why exactly do they need to be cured? Are we working on a cure for bigots? That would serve the world better IMHO.

Doctors treat gender dysphoria every day because people with the condition want help.

Stop acting like only a bigot would want to see them cured.

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 11:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Bone75

I am aware of what Psychiatrists treat. One of the "cures" they have is to allow them to transition. However the OP clearly is biased in their opinion.

There is a difference between helping people, and assuming they need to be cured.

Edit: OH and despite what the OP says it is NOT a science thing (I work in Science). It was a biased thing.
edit on 16-5-2016 by Noinden because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2016 @ 12:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: Noinden

I am aware of what Psychiatrists treat. One of the "cures" they have is to allow them to transition. However the OP clearly is biased in their opinion.

There is a difference between helping people, and assuming they need to be cured.

Edit: OH and despite what the OP says it is NOT a science thing (I work in Science). It was a biased thing.

Exactly considering the Op's quote:

If I could, I would give all trans people who are here now the equal rights they want and deserve - but at the same time i would try and find out the cause of this problem and fix it so there are no more trans people in the future.

posted on May, 17 2016 @ 12:36 AM
link   
a reply to: dreamingawake

That's not bias, its compassion. Learn the difference.

posted on May, 17 2016 @ 12:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bone75
a reply to: dreamingawake

That's not bias, its compassion. Learn the difference.

Actually I more than most know compassion thanks however. It's not compassionate forcing someone into a said cure. LEARN the difference. What forcing them to take male hormones? Having surgery on their brains correcting the said "defected part that makes them different". How well has it worked for gay males who are Christian but are cured by their church members? Not well on average.
edit on 17-5-2016 by dreamingawake because: (no reason given)

Also, re-read what the OP quoted: "so that there are not more trans people in the future" ie he means all trasnsexuals, no?
It's clear he would want them all cured which includes people who DO NOT want to be cured because they are NOT being treated for gender dysphoria.
edit on 17-5-2016 by dreamingawake because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2016 @ 01:04 AM
link   

I do you understand the definition of compassion neighbour. A cure for some one who is different (oh say homosexual or transgendered) implies that you consider them to beflawed. Yet the psychiatric establishment disagrees for the most part!

posted on May, 17 2016 @ 01:07 AM
link   
i have a cure, a smack in the head. only cost you 5 bucks, guaranteed to knock some sense into you.

posted on May, 17 2016 @ 01:09 AM
link   
a reply to: Zcustosmorum

Don't be silly, with your logic, war should be declared on atheism. Statistically, atheists are significantly less generous with their own money than religious people, and are also significantly less happy people on average. They're also less likely to be married, more likely to be stressed out, and less likely to devote time to community service. (www.sixteensmallstones.org...)

I don't want to "wage war" on atheism, but just pointing out the statistical truth to you. It sounds like raising children in a faith-based household is good for society.

posted on May, 17 2016 @ 01:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: noonebutme

The ONLY cure I could imagine, and I think this would offend many, would be at the initial development stage where you could observe differences or changes in the fetus DNA and correct it there.

*IF* we had the technology and even more worryingly, *IF* people felt that was ethically or morally ok to being with!

Ummm, did you even READ the OP? This was exactly what he was suggesting we develop. A way to change their gender in the womb - using gene therapy or some genetic tech - so they are born the gender they identify with. No need for costly, dangerous surgery later on.

posted on May, 17 2016 @ 01:35 AM
link   
a reply to: ignorant_ape

The OP was suggesting we should develop a way to detect these variations in the brain in utero, then change their gender in the womb - using gene therapy or some genetic tech - so they are born the gender they identify with. No need for costly, dangerous surgery later on.

He was trying to be helpful, to find a way to give the trans what they need before they are even born, so that they can grow up as the gender they identify with. But nobody even read what he wrote.

posted on May, 17 2016 @ 02:18 AM
link   

There are 3 to my knowledge, likely more though... neurosis, hysteria, and homosexual tendencies. The first was a generalized condition that got broken up into several things, like OCD, ADD, ADHD, Hysteria was basically the idea that having a uterus from the logical male dominated field is why women were concidered cray cray... already went over this logical repressing emotional/rational is going to have a hard time understanding the emotional/rational side of things. The homosexual tendencies was dropped because it was like profiling and found not to be accurate at all, like a man crossing his legs knee over knee when sitting(closed for business but comfortable) instead of the wide open now often referred to as man spreading(a dominate personality trying to maximize space but check out my junk posture) or ankle on the knee (bored posture). Of course these definitions of what they mean are likely to change as its based on the study of body language which is only statistically accurate or atypical like everything else but may not be true at all... but due to statistics is said to have some degree of accuracy... jump to another country and plop it doesnt hold up, as people are prone to mimmic each other and such things become a cultural norm.

posted on May, 17 2016 @ 02:41 AM
link   
a reply to: Noinden

The cure for bigotry is to stop segregating onself in whatever percieved bias oneself or others may be thought to have out of fear and or uncertainty... actually talk to people that theyve been taught or told are this that or the other and actually have more experience with said people, and realize its the individuals not any specific group. As all people have the propensity to do exactly the same things that really harm society regardless of whatever group one is lumped into.

Its individuals and everyone has an individual responsibility to society and others regardless of what group or belief... sure its easier to make wide sweeping ignorant generalizations instead of say hey its not because of this that or the other... its just that this person on their very own regardless of race, gender, sexuality, creed/belief or origin is a turd for whatever reason... likely because of all the hate and bias of being lumped and few taking the time to figure out why, sometimes the reason is just because youre being the turd, rarely though does someone step back and go wait am I the turd in this situation? Remember when the spot light hit police reform because of rampant abuse due to profiling and some cops saying hey! yes some cops are like that, but dont lump all of us into it... same thing.

Its individuals and people try to use statistics to target one group or another and blame in a wide sweeping generalization and forget its individuals... even when its done by an entire group its still the individuals choice to be in that group, some divisions people just have absolutely no choice in like those were all born with, without some sort of surgery whether gender or even as far as cosmetic... Ive yet to hear anyone say women getting breast enlargement surgery have a mental disorder that needs curing.

posted on May, 17 2016 @ 02:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: Achilles92x
a reply to: Zcustosmorum

Don't be silly, with your logic, war should be declared on atheism. Statistically, atheists are significantly less generous with their own money than religious people, and are also significantly less happy people on average. They're also less likely to be married, more likely to be stressed out, and less likely to devote time to community service. (www.sixteensmallstones.org...)

I don't want to "wage war" on atheism, but just pointing out the statistical truth to you. It sounds like raising children in a faith-based household is good for society.

You do realize Buddhism is wholly atheist except for a conciderably small branch called pure land right? So do you suppose all atheists werent taken into account; because of that study not taking all atheist into account people can make wide sweeping non factual generalizations on atheists as a group...

Spectacular! Ignorance wins again.

posted on May, 17 2016 @ 03:36 AM
link   

I will tell you what I was reading back in 2013. I don't exactly remember the magazine this came from. But in this article a scientist along with another counselor from an anonymous clinic came up with a study. They had 80 patients and out of 80.... 73 of them were treated. These people were male and female and some gay, lesbians, Trans and they were not specific on which gay, lesbians or Trans gender decided. But 7 patients that were not treatable refused mist of the test because they preferred to remain as they are. So the study was positive treating 73 out of 80 patients. These men in the interview did declare that gay, lesbians or transmitted was a disorder. Many of the patients were asked a series of questions. Questions about there life. Personal questions like bad experiences with sex. How or who you were surrounded by growing up as a kid.
They dismissed the usual claim that most people say in these cases. Such as "I was born gay"....
The counselor went on to say that was a cop out and not a good enough excuse. That no one is born gay and when it comes to development of the fetus... there are only two ways to go female or male. Which ever you are born with is the sex you are. If that's not the case your parents or guardians have failed you. However the only people that have a valid case are the ones that are born with both female and male parts. That's the only legitimate scenario that should be excepted.

Also the gov is pushing for thus to weaken society. They are actually sending a message to your kids that it's OK to be gay or whatever. Which is wrong.

posted on May, 17 2016 @ 05:10 AM
link   
a reply to: Truthurtz209

I agree with the gender statment about parts being a class of gender identification regardless of mental state of male or female or sexual preference, however if someone lives full time as the gender they id with or at least in their private life as their work place may not be accepting of it then there shouldnt be any bathroom issue... this is actually part of transitioning recommendation.

Of course its been blown out of proportion like any guy can say yep im feeling like a lady on the inside or a woman saying yep feeling like a man on the inside to day and just saunter into any restroom using that as an excuse for some persive act... ps law wont keep people from doing that anyway, its why women often go to the bathroom in groups or try to wait until they know at least some woman is in there too or armed and prepared in some manner if not... I think theres an app for an auto police alert as well though maybe not specifically for this and if not, there should be... hint hint as usual the things I give or suggest online are always open source ideas to use if anyone desires unless clearly stated otherwise, I just hope anyone using such ideas as the inventions etc I dish from time to time... donate a part of profits to some worthy cause, no credit etc. needed, wanted, or desired of course.

Happy Tuesday

posted on May, 17 2016 @ 05:22 AM
link   

.kv kjv k.jsv kDv s/.sv

posted on May, 17 2016 @ 05:57 AM
link   
a reply to: OuttaHere

Well, to be fair, he did also say that all the stuff in the news about transgender people's rights was "annoying", and that people are being brainwashed into thinking they are transgender just cuz they like the color pink, and that he thinks the whole trans thing is like a cult. It's a little like the people who say "my best friend is gay, but being gay is stupid". So, it appears that his message was a bit contradictory.

We can talk about "curing" it in utero all day long, but they can't even nail down detecting it in the brain after they're born - although they are working on it. So I guess that's the best answer to the OP's question.

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join