It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is anyone working on a cure for trans people?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 10:35 AM
link   
Trans seems to be the hot topic on ATS these days..
Im getting pretty sick of it now to be honest.. That and politics..

edit on 16/5/16 by Misterlondon because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 10:35 AM
link   
a reply to: DumpMaster

Oh My god, I have never read a more uninformed and ignorant post that this on ATS. (And thats saying something on a site where there is a flat earth conspiracy thread.)

The medical professions have been working on gender dysphoria for about a hundred years. There are numerous possible treatments advocated by the DSVM.

You might as well ask 'is any one working on a cure for left handedness'.

Gender reassignment, either partial or full is not an elective or cosmetic procedure. There are numerous checks and balances that are in place to make sure that any treatment is appropriate to the individual concerned.

You think its a mental illness, on what basis do you come to that conclusion? Have you an advanced degree with specialization in human psychology? Or are you just knee jerking because of stuff you've read on the web or in newspapers?

How about a cure for transphobia? Maybe then you wouldn't have to worry about how other people, none of which you know or care about or have any effect on you and how you live your life live theirs?

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 10:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: Rocker2013

originally posted by: buddah6
How many Transgender people in the US? Does the numbers of Transgendered people warrant a massive disruption of schools, companies and sports with this policy from Washington?

It's not a disruption of anything.
It's really damn simple - let trans people use the facilities they are suited to using.

There, problem f-ing solved!

I agree with you, let them use their bathrooms etc. No problem.

But should these people have to live their lives in the "wrong bodies" and feel uncomfortable for most of their lives, then be forced to risk their lives and also pay for their bodies to be changed so they can feel normal??

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 10:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: DumpMaster

originally posted by: iTruthSeeker
I agree that it is a mental illness but that is not the PC way to look at it.

It's also not the scientific way to look at it, because every psychological body says that you are wrong, the same way it was wrong to class homosexuality as a mental illness.

I personally believe that believing in a magical sky wizard with absolutely no proof, while rejecting the scientific reality all around you, is a true mental illness.

So, who wins?
Considering a transgender person existing has NO IMPACT on your life, while those people who believe in magical sky wizards are constantly abusing people, attacking people, passing laws legalizing the abuse of other free people, I know which one I would rather focus on a cure for.

Every problem we have as far as socially lately has a true solution, but these solutions hurt feelings and label people, so they are surppressed and overlooked

Please, lets hear your "solution", I'm certain I'm not the only one who sees something extremely sinister in this sentence.
Tell me, would your "solution" happen to be a "final" one?

iTruthSeeker

Liar.

The only reason I classified it differently is because in the natural world (aniamls) there are examples of Gay, Straight, Asexual and hermaphrodite but no examples of trans animals (transimals?)

As an Atheist I look to the natural world for examples of what's normal.

Then you haven't been looking very well.

Clownfish change gender.
Wrasses change gender.
Mushroom corals have been seen to change gender.
Chickens can also change gender.
Seahorses are perhaps one of the most famous examples of gender switching where it's the MALE becoming pregnant and giving birth.

These are only the examples we know about, there are millions of other species around the world which might behave in a similar way.

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 10:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: redshoes

Oh My god, I have never read a more uninformed and ignorant post that this on ATS. (And thats saying something on a site where there is a flat earth conspiracy thread.)

The medical professions have been working on gender dysphoria for about a hundred years. There are numerous possible treatments advocated by the DSVM.

You might as well ask 'is any one working on a cure for left handedness'.

Gender reassignment, either partial or full is not an elective or cosmetic procedure. There are numerous checks and balances that are in place to make sure that any treatment is appropriate to the individual concerned.

You think its a mental illness, on what basis do you come to that conclusion? Have you an advanced degree with specialization in human psychology? Or are you just knee jerking because of stuff you've read on the web or in newspapers?

How about a cure for transphobia? Maybe then you wouldn't have to worry about how other people, none of which you know or care about or have any effect on you and how you live your life live theirs?

Your post is equally bizarre.

If there is no problem with trans then why do trans people get sex changes? That doesn't make sense.. You don' fix things that aren't broken.

Maybe I'm wrong about mental illness, if so then it is a physical illness. I say illness because trans people change their bodies until they feel like normal. Maybe we need a new word other than illness, but it's not normal. If it was they wouldn't change bodies, right?

Also, transphobia is a word used by people who don't understand the word phobia. Phobia means an unatural fear of something. I'm not afraid of trans people, in fact I want them to have equal rights. What I don't' like hearing about are stories from trans people about how hard and brutal their lives have been when they could possibly be born in the sex they feel they are, and avoid all the hardship entirely.

I like spiders but have arachnophobia. I am terrified of them, but I do like them. That's phobia used correctly.

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 10:42 AM
link   

It's also not the scientific way to look at it, because every psychological body says that you are wrong, the same way it was wrong to class homosexuality as a mental illness.

I personally believe that believing in a magical sky wizard with absolutely no proof, while rejecting the scientific reality all around you, is a true mental illness.

So, who wins?
Considering a transgender person existing has NO IMPACT on your life, while those people who believe in magical sky wizards are constantly abusing people, attacking people, passing laws legalizing the abuse of other free people, I know which one I would rather focus on a cure for.

Every problem we have as far as socially lately has a true solution, but these solutions hurt feelings and label people, so they are surppressed and overlooked

Please, lets hear your "solution", I'm certain I'm not the only one who sees something extremely sinister in this sentence.

iTruthSeeker

Liar.

The only reason I classified it differently is because in the natural world (aniamls) there are examples of Gay, Straight, Asexual and hermaphrodite but no examples of trans animals (transimals?)

Clownfish change gender.
Wrasses change gender.
Seahorses are perhaps one of the most famous examples of gender switching where it's the MALE becoming pregnant and giving birth.

These are only the examples we know about, there are millions of other species around the world which might behave in a similar way.

Yes I mentioned that in the post. In the natural world they change for reasons of multiplying or reproduction.

With humans it is not for that reason, that's why it's different. Maybe I'm wrong? I don't know. I'm saying I don't know a lot. This is all based on my observations and things I've seen and heard over the years.

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 10:43 AM
link   
a reply to: noonebutme

"The ONLY cure I could imagine, and I think this would offend many, would be at the initial development stage where you could observe differences or changes in the fetus DNA and correct it there. "

Exactly. But then they might discover that some guy has a gene that makes him like the colour pink, therefore, turn him into a girl 😮
Thus creating a problem that some people think needs to be "cured"

We don't need to "cure" diversity

edit on 16-5-2016 by snowspirit because: Added quote thingy

link   

originally posted by: buddah6
How many Transgender people in the US? Does the numbers of Transgendered people warrant a massive disruption of schools, companies and sports with this policy from Washington?

It's not a disruption of anything.
It's really damn simple - let trans people use the facilities they are suited to using.

There, problem f-ing solved!

I agree with you, let them use their bathrooms etc. No problem.

But should these people have to live their lives in the "wrong bodies" and feel uncomfortable for most of their lives, then be forced to risk their lives and also pay for their bodies to be changed so they can feel normal??

The only thing making them feel uncomfortable is the society around them dictating how they "should" be.
The notion that transgender people are sad after transitioning is false, and it's been proven to be false time and time again. When transgender people progress to the point at which they feel comfortable, they feel comfortable in their body, it's really that simple.

They're not forever chasing an imagined goal and then suddenly decide that's not what they wanted after all. This is not the kind of decision someone makes to be "fashionable". These people are uncomfortable the way they are and they transition to become the person they feel comfortable being.

link   

The cure is being able to express the gender your brain is. I think it would be much better if a cure for bigotry was worked on instead.

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 10:45 AM
link   
I imagine that there are trans people working on a cure for the rest of us!

Sneaky bastards! They are the reason I wear high heels now!

Damn you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 10:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74

The cure is being able to express the gender your brain is. I think it would be much better if a cure for bigotry was worked on instead.

It blows my mind that you think my post is bigoted. I am for all the rights of everyone being equal.

I am just tired of hearing about all the pain and suffering before trans people transition to the correct sex.
I'd love it if they didn't have to transition, if they were just how they wanted to be from the get go.

Isn't that a good thing?

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 10:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: noonebutme

I bet if you asked trans people if they could have been born in the whatever they identify as sex if they would choose that, I bet most would say yes.

How do you define 'most' trans people.
I'm trans, and no as it happens I'm happy with who I am and who I have become as a result of being born in a gender that I don't Identify with.

Sure there have been some tough times, but I wouldn't be the person that I am now if I had been born different and I happen to like who I am now. So do my friends, family and Most people who I have ever met.

Its not a black and white issue whats right for some trans people isn't right for others. There is no 'one size fits all' box that you can neatly put us in so that you can carry on living your life and not have to deal with the complications.

You may not have meant to cause offense but let me tell you your OP was bound to offend.

Opinions are like assholes, everybody has one, and just like assholes, every once in a while its good to have them thoroughly examined.
edit on 16-5-2016 by redshoes because: oops bad formatting.

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 10:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: angryhulk

Just so you know, I have no problem with trans people. I'm Atheist and despise religion.

One of the more amusing things I have read on ATS in recent years.

Nice point that they have empathy for trans people and hate religious people.
The nihilists, anarchists and atheists all found their latest pet project to push, and it delights them to no end.

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 10:49 AM
link   

So, who wins?

iTruthSeeker

Liar.

Clownfish change gender.
Wrasses change gender.

Yes I mentioned that in the post. In the natural world they change for reasons of multiplying or reproduction.

With humans it is not for that reason, that's why it's different. Maybe I'm wrong? I don't know. I'm saying I don't know a lot. This is all based on my observations and things I've seen and heard over the years.

How do you know what the reasoning is?
How do you know the Clownfish isn't CHOOSING to be the one to change?

Then again, this could become a deeper discussion about how we believe our choices are ours when in fact most of what we do mimics exactly what we see in the animal kingdom.

When we go out to a club and dance all night, and dress up to look as good as possible, we're really only doing what various other animals do as part of a mating ritual. When you style your hair in the morning you're really no different to the parrot preening its feathers in an effort to attract a mate or fit in with its community.

The difference in this case is that animals do not have the means to understand or comprehend all of this, we do. Who's to say there isn't transgender animals out there? Unfortunately if there are (and there probably are) they don't have the ability to do anything about that, and they don't exist in a society that attacks them for being different either.

Maybe there are transgender animals out there, but they just don't face the struggles Humans do because they don't exist in a society where looking and behaving a certain way is enforced on them by others?

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 10:51 AM
link   
not
I don't think you're getting it. I have a male friend with all male parts...and has a menstrual period as he has internal female organs as well, and exit organ for the uterine fluid.

Totally male, except for that. Transexual. So....I think you may be misinformed about the physicality of the issue.

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 10:52 AM
link   
a reply to: Kali74

Heh, you beat me to it.

What we really need is a cure for ignorance, hatred and bigotry - is there a pill we can hand out? Oh, and we need a cure for the 1034th thread on "why do trans people need rights?"

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 10:53 AM
link   
a reply to: ignorant_ape

I am sure that there are plenty of members' here who would like to
find a cure for religion!

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 10:54 AM
link   

By the time we develop the technology to deliver the type of cure you're talking about (see the movie GATTACA), things will go well beyond curing transgenderism. We'll pretty much end up creating a new species based on human genes. And the most practical way of 'curing' genetic conditions will be to reject the genetic materials before insemination ensuring those with potential for developing such conditions are never born.

If we come up with the ability to change gender (not only cosmetically but functionally) after development, everyone will have far more options to choose from than just male or female (maybe demigods, angels, vampires etc...). I don't think there is a need to look for a cure such as the one you're talking about; it will simply arise from other technology and evolution will eliminate the need for a cure.

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 10:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: mysterioustranger
not
I don't think you're getting it. I have a male friend with all male parts...and has a menstrual period as he has internal female organs as well, and exit organ for the uterine fluid.

Totally male, except for that. Transexual. So....I think you may be misinformed about the physicality of the issue.

Isn't that hermaphrodite?

I have a friend who is a hermaphrodite and had to have their female genitals removed for medical reasons.

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 10:57 AM
link   
To add to my post above...he is serving in Afghanistan and has both sets of sex organs.

I see you really don't get it....mental? Whould you please read up a little and enlighten yourself?

Thanx

edit on 16-5-2016 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join