It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

_9MOTHER9HORSE9EYES9: the mysterious tale terrifying Reddit

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 02:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: SargonThrall
Yeah, he admits on post 15 that it is fiction, but implies that his drug trips have shown him potential future realities.

He doesn't admit that he plagiarized Jacob's Ladder and Eternal Darkness extensively.

Plagiarism is a specific charge, as you saying that the writer lifted parts of those two works and copied them practically verbatim, or are you saying that they derived ideas from them. There is a difference. The writer utilises a number of literary devices, particularly from US literature, that is not plagiarism, that is what writers do.
edit on 18-5-2016 by Anaana because: "i" was missing...

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 02:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bybyots
a reply to: Anaana

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 03:19 AM
link   
It's a combination but its pretty obvious.
I forget the name exactly (it was from 2000) but I think it was Mantorok? A giant flesh portal in Cambodia, I mean that part was about an American explorer finding it hidden in the jungle. And also the main villain Pious(? dead Roman) can be seen in front of another flesh portal if you image search.

Jacob's Ladder was an old movie about soldiers in Vietnam being given experimental drugs that made them violent and long term they all hallucinated the same things and became connected.

Come to think of it there was a book about Japan developing a secret death ray, and he mentioned that too. And the part about undersea was like Pacific Rim. So lots of sources I suppose.

edit on 18-5-2016 by SargonThrall because: found one. the other was in the floor

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 01:42 PM
link   

It's a combination but its pretty obvious.
I forget the name exactly (it was from 2000) but I think it was Mantorok? A giant flesh portal in Cambodia, I mean that part was about an American explorer finding it hidden in the jungle. And also the main villain Pious(? dead Roman) can be seen in front of another flesh portal if you image search.

I don't know, that could be another influence, that thing doesn't look particularly vaginal though, so I'd say that the writer was drawing on a variety of influences to bring forth their own thing. And, similarly, the audience is going to call upon the information that they are familiar with. It's not plagiarism though, not by a long chalk. Did James Joyce plagiarise Homer?

Jacob's Ladder was an old movie about soldiers in Vietnam being given experimental drugs that made them violent and long term they all hallucinated the same things and became connected.

It's not that old...or perhaps I am ancient...but yes, Tim Robbins, I remember it, but, for a start, where did the Jacob's Ladder people get that idea from? Various US government agencies did conduct experiments on their own citizens, it is a matter of public record that '___' was used and distributed by the CIA, US military personnel at Edgewood Arsenal were experimented on and children in schools for the disabled were fed radiation. Etc, etc. Jacob's Ladder used fact to create fiction. And Mother-Horse-Eyes, hasn't copied from Jacob's Ladder, though they may have drawn inspiration, in part, from it, they have still done so in a different way, and drawn different creative conclusions. Not plagiarism.

Come to think of it there was a book about Japan developing a secret death ray, and he mentioned that too. And the part about undersea was like Pacific Rim. So lots of sources I suppose.

Or influences.

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 04:43 PM
link   
Wow. This is some bizarre writing and yet... An imagination fueled by "heroic" doses of psychoactive substances? Perhaps. I don't know what effect such large doses could have on the brain and/or consciousness. Honestly, I'd be too frightened to attempt it myself. Hell, my present perception of what we are agreeing to call reality is enough to deal with. The post the author wrote between the 15th and 16th posts is rather compelling to me. In it he says that out of the billions of futures there's only a few where we don't wind up enslaved in some form of "unalterable state of total mental and physical slavery that will last for uncounted millennia until the earth becomes uninhabitable ." I've been thinking the same as this man. Maybe many of you here do as well. Knowing how humanity has been and continues to be so inhumane, I don't envision a happy "Star Trek-like" future for us but for a few, by having the power of gods, to become the masters of this world and are even able to withhold our escape through death, I do believe we have a spirit, by altering our DNA and even our bodies themselves. Food for thought.

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 04:52 PM
link   
I'm about half way through and really liking it.... a little Philip K Dickian (he gets a mention too) and just my kind of weird.

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 06:39 PM
link   

Yeah, it could be a "marketing thing." I suppose there would be some reason to get everybody talking then have "a big reveal" like, "You guys have been reading Google's AI story based on Google's D-Wave quantum computer, run by Google's... etc" type of thing.

What I was thinking that it is one person writing multiple stories. Then release it like a Burroughs cut-up story but all grown up for the digital age (a post here from one story, a post there from a different one, then re-post-post-1 there but with more material). That is why it is fractured--like the Korean on top of the mountain! What an image! Picasso or some other cubist painter comes to mind! Leave it for the intrepid reader to piece it back together.

Cool, freaky, scary, strange, weird--kind of like a Tool video! Hehe. But no soundtrack.

I wonder what is up with all the "9"s?

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 08:35 PM
link   

I loved that movie when I was a kidlet.

Are you not dying over Post 60th?

Crazy cat lady? Right?

edit on 18-5-2016 by Bybyots because:

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 10:45 PM
link   
Yes I agree. It's technically not plagiarism if it's not word-for-word, but for example, the 44th post is extreeeemely similar to the creature description voiceovers in Eternal Darkness. The 48th post is extremely close to the statues depicted in the temple.

I have to give credit where it is due, however, and it was a very entertaining and wide reaching story. Some of it was beautifully written too. The 35th post seems to be a metaphor for social retardation with phone addiction. There are quite a lot of grammar and factual errors and at one point it changes from first person to third. He certainly needs to work on it but it is entertaining.

His numerous grammatical errors are reminiscent of common ESL errors, leading me to believe he may be an ESL student. If so, it just makes the rest more impressive:

You go out of your tiny bedroom to front part of your apartment, and your heart stops.
You go to the freezer and get the vodka and take in two good belts.
You stomach makes a violent protest, but you brain almost weeps with relief.
Pulling people out of malfunctioning hygiene beds is no way to make living.
He makes all sorts of sneering, dramatic faces as he works, and whenever he scores a particularly impressive blow, his whole face red with delight.
Soon my men began to me strange tales from the new laboratory.
Her skin was an inhumanly pale, but she wore a crown of exquisite thorned flowers, and blood ran in shimmering red streams down her skin.
There I witnessed what others has reported to me.
Again I saw the face of the unholy mother in mind my, saw her filmy eyes
Engle himself had been stabbed
Thus I could shut the door on whatever unholy creature these madmen were attempting unleash.
I couldn't afford to seem the least bit but off

posted on May, 19 2016 @ 03:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: TEOTWAWKIAIFF

Yeah, it could be a "marketing thing." I suppose there would be some reason to get everybody talking then have "a big reveal" like, "You guys have been reading Google's AI story based on Google's D-Wave quantum computer, run by Google's... etc" type of thing.

What I was thinking that it is one person writing multiple stories. Then release it like a Burroughs cut-up story but all grown up for the digital age (a post here from one story, a post there from a different one, then re-post-post-1 there but with more material). That is why it is fractured--like the Korean on top of the mountain! What an image! Picasso or some other cubist painter comes to mind! Leave it for the intrepid reader to piece it back together.

Cool, freaky, scary, strange, weird--kind of like a Tool video! Hehe. But no soundtrack.

I wonder what is up with all the "9"s?

Nine is a magic number. First impression for me was a Robert Anton Wilson vibe, but less degrading. In that context, perhaps nine is a choice over other, more discordantly affiliated numbers, perhaps. I'm not sure, we will have to see where the writer goes with that.

posted on May, 19 2016 @ 03:31 AM
link   
a reply to: Bybyots

Love biscuits?!?

I remember, now, quite vividly, going to see that film at the cinema. I had completely forgotten about it, that was until I began to suspect that my cat was communicating my movements to the van parked outside my flat.

posted on May, 19 2016 @ 03:36 AM
link   

His numerous grammatical errors are reminiscent of common ESL errors, leading me to believe he may be an ESL student. If so, it just makes the rest more impressive:

Or, from my point of view, if you assume that they are not editing their writing, just pumping it out raw...perhaps they're so good that that is how few errors they actually make. That's what I am thinking, I know how much I have to edit post flow, as it were, some words I skip on a consistent basis, and I repetitively make the same mistakes. I don't see a great deal of evidence of any editorialism, I find that most impressive on a few levels.

posted on May, 19 2016 @ 11:11 AM
link   

Just seems like someone is getting some kind of kick from talking nonsense on a Reddit board. Probably thought (as it is doing) it would gather attention like a Youtuber does by making silly videos. Probably find it is someone hoping to get a deal sent their way, to write everyday clearly do not have much going on in his/her life so that really does shout someone living for their story.

posted on May, 20 2016 @ 04:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: BlackProject

Just seems like someone is getting some kind of kick from talking nonsense on a Reddit board. Probably thought (as it is doing) it would gather attention like a Youtuber does by making silly videos. Probably find it is someone hoping to get a deal sent their way, to write everyday clearly do not have much going on in his/her life so that really does shout someone living for their story.

I do hope that they do have a "deal sent their way", they are clearly a talented writer and, in my opinion, someone with talent like that should be spending most of their time working to develop that talent and be able to earn a decent living for doing so.

I've been reading a few of the comments on Reddit. There is some discussion that the writer is a professional, given the quality of their writing. William Gibson has been suggested. I don't think it is Gibson.

posted on May, 20 2016 @ 10:39 PM
link   

Gibson is way better of a writer! Have you ever read Cryptpnomicom? He figured out gemmatria and other cryptology writing schemes. Snowcrash is one of me favs!

posted on May, 20 2016 @ 11:17 PM
link   
I could be wrong but the writing style reminded me of "Ong's Hat" and the "inncanubla papers"

deoxy.org...

posted on May, 21 2016 @ 04:34 AM
link   
a reply to: TEOTWAWKIAIFF

I agree this is not Gibson. However, you are talking about Neal Stephenson. He is the one that wrote Cryptonomicom and Snow Crash. Gibson wrote Neuromancer.

I don't think the person writing this is someone who is already famous.

posted on May, 22 2016 @ 01:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12
I could be wrong but the writing style reminded me of "Ong's Hat" and the "inncanubla papers"

deoxy.org...

Thanks for the link, I'll give that a read later. Are you suggesting it is the same author?

posted on May, 22 2016 @ 01:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: TEOTWAWKIAIFF

Gibson is way better of a writer! Have you ever read Cryptpnomicom? He figured out gemmatria and other cryptology writing schemes. Snowcrash is one of me favs!

I'm not sure about "better", that is more a matter of taste. The Neuromancer trilogy would make it into my top 50 (somewhere about the 30 mark I reckon), so I rank him highly, but, he doesn't have the same breadth of characterisations and storylines that Mother-Horse-Eyes demonstrates. Gibson may have more experience, and probably editorial support these days, but it is a while since he has demonstrated the raw and original talent of his early writings...MHEs exposition, I don't think, can be compared to Gibson, though clearly the whole cyber-punk thing is an influence. As a book geek, looking at MHE as a raw talent, they have much greater potential, and literary understanding, than Gibson did when he started out.

I like Neal Stephenson too BTW, but again, I don't feel there is a comparison. For me, it's that Arabian Nights, stories within stories, within stories, that I am particularly enjoying. And the mode of delivery is priceless. Celebrity Armpits!!! That just cracked me up.

posted on Jun, 1 2016 @ 07:56 AM
link   
Late starter to this but I've read the entire lot over two days and have just finished the June 1st part. At first I thought this was a conspiracy thing but quickly realised it was sci-fi. I have to say I've really enjoyed it so far and am hoping the installments continue.

S&F

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join