It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

When Two Civilized Countrys Fight

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 15 2016 @ 06:21 PM
link   
seen this on a image website and thought i would share,Basicly canada and denmark have been ''fighting'' over an island for years. I don't think this has been shared but if it has mods please delete and also put this in the right place if this isn't the right place for this sort of thing.

Far in the Arctic North lies the barren and desolate Hans Island.

since the early 1930s, this nondescript rock has been at the center of an ongoing disagreement between Canada and Denmark.

Hans Island is located in the middle of the 22-mile wide Nares Strait, which separates Greenland, an autonomous territory of Denmark, from Canada. Due to international law, all countries have the right to claim territory within 12 miles of their shore

Denmark's minister of Greenland affairs visited the island and planted a Danish flag. At the base of the flag, he left a note saying, "Welcome to the Danish island," along with a bottle of brandy, CBC reports. And since then, the two countries have waged a not-quite-serious "whiskey war" over Hans Island.

Peter Takso Jensen, the Danish Ambassador to the US, has said that "when Danish military go there, they leave a bottle of schnapps. And when [Canadian] military forces come there, they leave a bottle of Canadian Club and a sign saying, 'Welcome to Canada.'"

Currently, a plan is in the works that could turn Hans Island into a shared territory that would be jointly managed by the Canadian and Danish municipalities bordering it.

just goes to show how peaceful a fight over some land really can be when two civil country's have land problems.

en.wikipedia.org...
www.businessinsider.com...
www.mnn.com...
www.elitereaders.com...
edit on 15-5-2016 by theboarman because: links

posted on May, 15 2016 @ 06:24 PM
link   
a reply to: theboarman

I think if there were petroleum reserves under it the discussion might be a touch different.

posted on May, 15 2016 @ 06:25 PM
link   
Basically, this island is just an excuse for scientists to go to a deserted island and taste new kinds of whiskey.

posted on May, 15 2016 @ 06:28 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

The U.S would freedom the living sh#t out if Hans Island if oil was found there!

All jokes aside, I've never heard of this story before - just shows that the world is not a humorless place afterall and there is still room to mess with other countries in a friendly way.
edit on 15-5-2016 by mikkelno because: Spelling

edit on 15-5-2016 by mikkelno because: Spelling

posted on May, 15 2016 @ 06:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: mikkelno
The U.S would freedom the living sh#t out if Hans Island if oil was found there!

I wonder if we would inform Canada and Denmark about the Al Qaeda base located there first.

posted on May, 15 2016 @ 08:19 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

I go there all the time to get drunk with unicorns, I can tell you there is no base =P

posted on May, 15 2016 @ 08:38 PM
link   

Hehe

Sounds like your typical everyday run-of-the-mill Canuckian way of "fighting".

Taunt and tease the enemy with libations until they're so plastered they can't see two feet in front of them.

Great little story OP, I was totally unaware of this dastardly war we had going on !

posted on May, 15 2016 @ 08:40 PM
link   
a reply to: CranialSponge

Is fist fighting in the street still a sport in Canada? I know they have hockey but I really want to see an old fashion clean fight on this rock. I got your first 10 rounds of booze too.

posted on May, 15 2016 @ 08:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Brotherman

Naw, we usually save it for the ice rink.

But I have seen many-a fistacuffs in -35 celsius weather over which brand of snowmobile is better.

Artic Cat vs Polaris vs Ski-Doo... it's a dang serious subject here in the Great White North !

posted on May, 15 2016 @ 08:48 PM
link   

that's always good fun, besides I need an interesting date for sporting events.

posted on May, 15 2016 @ 08:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Brotherman

that's always good fun, besides I need an interesting date for sporting events.

Oooo careful laddie, that's some dangerous terrority. Tread lightly.

You don't want to mess with a Canuckian gal when it comes to sporting events, particularly the lumber jack contests... she'll shave your 'stache off with a felling axe faster than you can say "Holy ripped flannel shirt Batman" !

edit on 15-5-2016 by CranialSponge because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2016 @ 08:59 PM
link   

Ill fit in just fine, I once killed a ground hog at 20 yards with a roofer ax. I need to shave anyways, problem is, if I get any stronger I am going to need to start welding heavier steel just to stay entertained at work
besides animated ladies at sporting events is always uplifting, I'd even root for you at the roller derby.

posted on May, 15 2016 @ 11:31 PM
link   

Give them a medal for being civilized.

posted on May, 15 2016 @ 11:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: INEVERQUIT

Give them a medal for being civilized.

Oh horse puckey you know you want to see their countries leaders get shi**y drunk and fist fight on that rock. At least I know I do

posted on Jun, 26 2016 @ 09:56 AM
link   
Hey this sounds as much fun as back in the day going on "midnight requisition sorties". Unofficially sanctioned of course. Look that one up

top topics

join