It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Would u ever just go live in a van???

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 15 2016 @ 07:47 AM
link   
a reply to: lavatrance

If I were younger and single I would already be in a cabin in remote Alaska so the van isn't much of a stretch. I think I would also consider just about anything with no address and no connection to the grid. Living aboard a sailboat also crossed my mind. Freedom and adventure ever day sounds great.

posted on May, 15 2016 @ 07:53 AM
link   
a reply to: Snarl

Snarl....thanx for the share.. love the Punisher. never seen this yet and this is totally in his vein, gonna share the crap out of this elsewhere..

posted on May, 15 2016 @ 07:55 AM
link   

Also to the OP,...I've lived in mobile housing cars, vans, campers, trailers for many years it is not as bad as it would seem..even more so now.

posted on May, 15 2016 @ 08:00 AM
link   
Only if it was down by the river.

And possibly next to Matt Foley's van.

posted on May, 15 2016 @ 08:07 AM
link   
Biggest flea market in the US, I think.

Qwartsite

posted on May, 15 2016 @ 08:12 AM
link   
I lived in the back of a Datsun PU in a camper shell for 2 years. Working odd jobs, busking on the street in tourist areas, fishing, surfing, skiing, living the free gypsy life sometimes with a female companion, sometimes alone. Mexico used to be paradise on the west coast.

I would return to that lifestyle except I have a carrear, wife and animals that seem to need constant attention.

edit on 15-5-2016 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2016 @ 08:26 AM
link   
a reply to: glen200376

I have a friend doing just that too

Rainbows
Jane

posted on May, 15 2016 @ 09:33 AM
link   

I could live in a camper. It has its perks, but you can't beat home comforts.

I would find it hard to live without a shower and toilet.

And I wouldn't get much sleep.

Ever slept overnight in a car? You sleep with one eye open.

posted on May, 15 2016 @ 09:50 AM
link   

I did in my younger years...in Kentucky near Mammoth Cave and in Florida by the Loxahatchee River...both for a good length of time.

Seems campgrounds have a limit for extended lengths so people DONT just live there as a permanent residence. Maybe its different now....

posted on May, 15 2016 @ 10:40 AM
link   
Anything is possible if you choose to.
If you have to due to poor life choices than that sux.

posted on May, 15 2016 @ 12:05 PM
link   
a reply to: angelchemuel

My friends motor home cost him £40000,thats a lot of money but he says that he is feeling 30 years younger.
He just bought a new car a few months ago too.He works as a digger driver who is on about £16 an hour.

posted on May, 15 2016 @ 12:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

I fully support this. If you need any advice on survival in the Alaskan wilderness I can definitely help you. I know about survival techniques in high alpine regions and can teach you about backcountry travel in mountainous and snowy areas. I'm one of the few in the country who can make it an entire winter at over 12,000ft with very few provisions. My companions have perished in avalanches, but I am a survivor. I'm your guy. Let's make it happen!

posted on May, 15 2016 @ 12:51 PM
link   
To address the OP, no. No I wouldn't. I'm sorry, but it's not a great life imo.

posted on May, 15 2016 @ 01:06 PM
link   
I lived in a van for near a year. It was pretty cool really.
I had a job. I saved a good chunk of money.
Spent most nights on the beach listening to the wind and waves...conversing with the occasional stranger.
There was a public shower.
Life was good enough for me.

posted on May, 15 2016 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Not even a van, I lived out of my car (off and on) for over 4 years. it was the greatest experience of my life!

All I had was a tent, a cheap portable gas cooker, varies utensils and my laptop (charged off my car battery)... seriously, what else does a person need?

I used to do a bit of fruit picking to make some quick cash. But mostly just relied on centrelink (welfare), which a lot of people obviously resent, but I could care less what anyone thinks! My own mental health comes before anyone's petty judgmental opinion.

I'd get paid every two weeks and would drive into the nearest town, fill my boot up with two weeks worth of food, then just use the rest of my payment to drive until I had nearly run out of petrol. Then just find a good camping spot by some river or creek and set up camp for two weeks.

When it was summer, I'd head south for the long hot days and to avoid the tropical wet season, then in winter, I'd head north for those beautiful tropical dry seasons.

It was an absolutely amazing lifestyle. I saw more of the great southern land over those 4 years than the majority of people see in a lifetime...

Well everyone was stressing out fighting traffic, doing the 9 to 5 in the rat race, I was chillin back cooking up a nice meal beside some peaceful river, well watching an incredible sunset... It's the true definition of freedom.

I'm totally over camping rough and always being broke now though.

Wouldn't mind doing it again though, if I won the lotto or something. You know, get a luxury campavan, with a kitchen, shower and toilet, then top of the line generator & solar panels to run the fridge , laptop and tv ect... Yeah, that really would be heaven.

posted on May, 15 2016 @ 03:20 PM
link   

I don't know about living in a van, I can write you a poem.

Make your van your very own,
Make sure it blends into life,
Never buy silly curtains like leopard print.
You need to be invisible,
No painted peace signs,
That was the past,
Sleeping is the hardest part,
Resting in your van is key,
Park safe and learn to fly,
Beep, beep goes your van.

posted on May, 15 2016 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Have done it before will do it again.

Love living in my campervan.

posted on May, 15 2016 @ 06:06 PM
link   
The rent in the PNW is ridiculous, and the IT industry is progressively paying less and less.

My best friend works for an IT giant, but lives outta his van. He has very few issues with it really. But, he has good friends and family and a gf who can all let him shower and do laundry.

I used to do IT and the pay just got too low and the hours too many for a job just too crappy, for a boss/company thats just too greedy... and I'm an artist, so no van option for me. Maybe a barn in the woods and a commute to hang my art?

All I know is Seattle is famous for people living outta cars, vans, rvs and whatever they can. People move here from odd states but have nowhere to go, so just dump their gear and run off to return the Uhaul before someone pillages their belongings.

I deliver food a few days a week and donate our soon to expire products to tent villages (called Nickelsville here) on my freetime, and hear serious stories about what it takes to live off nothing in a city being taken over by rich and an aggressive police force the gov admires for its policy of control.

One of the tricks to living outta a van is make it look discrete, don't have a graffiti mobile with mirror windows or a dirty old fake winnabago, or junk hanging outside with a genny and a rattle-canned 10 speed with bags of garbage stacked up.

Simply look like a van parked for a short visit. Stickers like 'parent of a honor student' and 'local kids soccer club' make you blend much better.

Some of the best overnight spots (check your local city ordinances of course) are outside of parks and near city utilities (like power stations, pump stations, waste etc), but the most popular is under freeways/bridges, near RR tracks and large shopping malls if all else fails.

posted on May, 15 2016 @ 07:00 PM
link   
I'll be going off the grid again soon. Will have to live in one temporarily while building on the land. Smaller living space off the grid, ready for a new adventure I guess.

posted on May, 15 2016 @ 07:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aliquandro
The rent in the PNW is ridiculous, and the IT industry is progressively paying less and less.

Indeed it is around the Seattle area. Thus as why family/I opted for buying and building, rent if available in some areas, not even all the rules one has to live by, it is just too much.

If you want cheaper-still high compared to some areas of the country- try Eastern,WA(Spokane area-middle of the state Yakima, etc. still has higher rents) or North Idaho, though that eliminates a job opprotunity if one were planning to drive into Seattle and there's less work on the Eastern side.

My best friend works for an IT giant, but lives outta his van. He has very few issues with it really. But, he has good friends and family and a gf who can all let him shower and do laundry.

I used to do IT and the pay just got too low and the hours too many for a job just too crappy, for a boss/company thats just too greedy... and I'm an artist, so no van option for me. Maybe a barn in the woods and a commute to hang my art?

All I know is Seattle is famous for people living outta cars, vans, rvs and whatever they can. People move here from odd states but have nowhere to go, so just dump their gear and run off to return the Uhaul before someone pillages their belongings.

I deliver food a few days a week and donate our soon to expire products to tent villages (called Nickelsville here) on my freetime, and hear serious stories about what it takes to live off nothing in a city being taken over by rich and an aggressive police force the gov admires for its policy of control.

One of the tricks to living outta a van is make it look discrete, don't have a graffiti mobile with mirror windows or a dirty old fake winnabago, or junk hanging outside with a genny and a rattle-canned 10 speed with bags of garbage stacked up.

Simply look like a van parked for a short visit. Stickers like 'parent of a honor student' and 'local kids soccer club' make you blend much better.

Some of the best overnight spots (check your local city ordinances of course) are outside of parks and near city utilities (like power stations, pump stations, waste etc), but the most popular is under freeways/bridges, near RR tracks and large shopping malls if all else fails.

Good advice.
ETA: Nice that you help out.
More props to them as it's tough in the city, in it's own way, to live. I'd say pick a short commute(some aren't so much) area outside of the city vs being right in it. Probably so much competition now for places to park vans and RVs-lots filling up fast or not enough of them, etc.
edit on 15-5-2016 by dreamingawake because: fixed quote

edit on 15-5-2016 by dreamingawake because: added more.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join