It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Just How Wise are Wisdom Teeth Anyway!?!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 15 2016 @ 02:10 AM
link   
Personally, I think wisdom teeth have lost all sense of wisdom. I hate them... why? Because I have them inside the back of my jaw and thanks to a talk with a friend on the bus, I've realized they may be causing my tension headaches.

Just get them removed... if only I was that brave. I had one that grew out in my twenties and didn't do anything about it for about 15 years. The tooth rotted so I got a check up and ex-ray. When the tooth surgeon looked at my ex-ray he said, ''are we removing all of them?'' I was all, ''I only have one.'' He showed me my ex-ray and the other three are tucked into my gums completely and then he acted relieved for both himself and myself that he didn't have to dig into my gums and take out the three hidden teeth.... what's up with that!?! Apparently a bigger operation than extracting the one rotten tooth that grew past the gums....eeeeks!

So, I had to understand just why we have these unnecessary wisdom teeth and from what I gather wisdom teeth are a gift from our ancestors. With the early diet of coarse rough food plus a larger jaw size, our ancestors had the need for a third set of molars to process food, according to Here and Here. The two sites listed, suggest we do not need wisdom teeth with the modern diet of softer food and use of utensils.... and I say we sure as heck don't need them, they are a nuisance and I hate them!

Thank you for reading my rant.

posted on May, 15 2016 @ 02:35 AM
link   
a reply to: peppycat

I had my wisdom teeth removed 'old school'. I had a couple of shots of Novocaine and out they came. It was fast and I was able to 'enjoy' the entire experience. The worst thing about having them out was the bleeding afterwords. Even with stitches the blood took a few hours to stop.

posted on May, 15 2016 @ 02:37 AM
link   
My first impression of wisdom teeth is that they first surface when we start to get wise. I am not aware of any babies with wisdom teeth. I do acknowledge that anything that upsets the natural order is going to be a pain.

posted on May, 15 2016 @ 02:46 AM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus That's how I had the one rotted wisdom tooth extracted... a shot and then it came right out. The other ones in my gums aren't protruding one bit and I'm scared and sad about having to have my gums cut open and dug into.

I'm okay with the bleeding afterwards... even any pain... but scared about the procedure.
Thanks for posting.😊

posted on May, 15 2016 @ 02:50 AM
link   
a reply to: kwakakev Being born with wisdom teeth would be rough on us as babies.
I wish I had the wisdom to take care of my wisdom tooth problem sooner than later.

Thank you for posting.

posted on May, 15 2016 @ 03:22 AM
link   

Mine keep me up at night.

They keep doing quantum field equations and yelling "eureka"!

I don't think that they are wise, not like my elbows.

posted on May, 15 2016 @ 03:26 AM
link   
a reply to: chr0naut Lol! Thanks for the chuckle, I needed that.

posted on May, 15 2016 @ 03:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: chr0naut

Our gobs have wisdom teeth that are not so wise, and our elbows have funny bones that are not so funny.

Thanks God!

posted on May, 15 2016 @ 03:54 AM
link   
It the old days when people ate and chewed food properly, it wasn't all burgers and fries, roughage was a common part of our diet and chewing built bigger stronger muscle and bone in our jaws, we had room for all of our teeth
Now when we drink smoothies and don't need to chew anything we eat, our jaws don't develop

Increase the roughage, develop a jaw and your wisdom teeth will be a part of the reason you smile
edit on 15-5-2016 by Raggedyman because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2016 @ 04:38 AM
link   

I had three wisdom teeth, two came straight up, one grew sideways. One was giving me so much trouble that I couldn't wait for the oral surgeon so I just told the dentist to pull it out. I have a very low pain tolerance, I had to tell the dentist to keep injecting me because I could feel it. I then went to the oral surgeon to pull the other two. He had to cut into my gums so I told him to put me under, which he did. Honestly, him cutting into the gums wasnt any different in pain then just pulling the tooth out. He used dissolving stitches so I didn't need to go back to get it taken out. I was able to eat the next day. Having a root canal was actually worse for me, I'm still traumatized from that one.

posted on May, 15 2016 @ 04:57 AM
link   
I recall when i got mine it was painful.I remember feeling pain and suddenly tasting blood in my mouth with the bottom ones.I was in the car of an aquaintance named Jose who was giving me a ride somewhere i had to be and i grabbed for tissue while groaning "Uugghh ewww" and he got quite a fright
I didn't mention the teething woes and here's me suddenly bleeding from my mouth
When the top ones broke through i had to go to the state hospital for antibiotic and pain shots,didn't have medical insurance back then.There was an abcess or something that formed too.All in all just a nasty business the whole wisdom teeth thing,i didn't care for it one lil bit.

posted on May, 15 2016 @ 06:05 AM
link   
I am a product of evolution (*shakes fist at creationist*) as I was fortunate to be born without upper wisdom teeth.

I still have my lowers and they are starting to break the surface but are not giving me any trouble. My dentist keeps trying to get me to have them removed as he is afraid stuff may get trapped in them and blow up or something. I keep telling him that we will cross that bridge if it ever comes to that, but as of right now I'm good and there is no need to fix something that is not broken. Plus ain't nobody got money for that these days. Sounds like he is just trying to get a couple of Mercedes payments outta me.

posted on May, 15 2016 @ 07:44 AM
link   
I almost got to keep mine, but one got impacted. Then the dentist told me that if he took one, he'd have to take the rest to keep the balance in my jaw.

I went under for that.

It wasn't the surgery. It was the constant leaking bleeding that made me ill afterward so that I was trying to puke through a bruised jaw and then the dry socket!

But if you really want to have fun, you could have been my grandmother. She was 80, developed a sudden tooth ache, and the dentist told her that, surprise!, her wisdom teeth had finally decide to come in.

posted on May, 15 2016 @ 08:37 AM
link   

I feel your 'Pain"...i had the first two slowly creep out of the gums to only disintegrate upon exposure, i lived for three years with this not realizing that this affected my psyche, and made me very irritable. I had them all removed, the pleasure of them being gone is indescribable. one Dentist was like Cris Angel, i never saw the Hypo for the shot, he hinted that it might hurt but he was already done, never saw a needle. Some dentists are artists.. Then the fourth tooth was remove from a "dental surgeon", yeah less than 15 minutes, in pieces, took longer to wait for the Novocaine, than the procedure. 15 years later not an issue. Those teeth are not "WISE"

posted on May, 15 2016 @ 12:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Raggedyman So, chewing rougher tougher food will grow my jaw?

if only it was that easy... I'll give it a try
lol!

posted on May, 15 2016 @ 12:55 PM
link   
a reply to: ckhk3 Thanks for sharing, I think I might be a little less afraid now.

posted on May, 15 2016 @ 12:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Raxoxane OMG! Poor José must have gotten quite the fright at that. Thank you for sharing.

posted on May, 15 2016 @ 01:01 PM
link   
a reply to: SgtHamsandwich In the links I posted, it is advised that you not wait past the age of 35 to get them removed because you heal slower as you age. I'm like you though and avoided taking care of the one that eventually rotted years later...I could have had worse problems with the rotted one, but I guess I was lucky.
Take care and only you know what is right for you.

posted on May, 15 2016 @ 01:05 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko Thank you for sharing. That's a trip your grandmothers finally grew in at 80. I wish mine would just grow out now so that it is easier to remove them.
Oh well, reading the posts here is a blessing for me... knowing that I too will eventually, most likely "survive" the ordeal of miner surgery in my mouth.😊

posted on May, 15 2016 @ 05:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Parafitt

originally posted by: chr0naut

Our gobs have wisdom teeth that are not so wise, and our elbows have funny bones that are not so funny.

Thanks God!

I don't know, my funny bones are the life of the party. Several times they have had me in tears, I've laughed so hard.

But they can't do fart jokes well, not like armpits.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join