It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FDA: Sweetener found in sugarless gum can kill dogs

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2016 @ 10:32 PM
link   
By James T. Mulder | [email protected]

on May 13, 2016 at 8:57 AM, updated May 13, 2016 at 9:04 AM

NOT ONLY in sugarless gum--in some pastries, cakes etc, too

www.syracuse.com...

. . .
In people, xylitol does not stimulate the release of insulin from the pancreas. But when dogs eat something containing xylitol, the xylitol is more quickly absorbed into the bloodstream, and may result in the rapid release of insulin from the pancreas.
This can cause a rapid decrease in the level of blood sugar known as hypoglycemia, an effect that can occur within 10 to 60 minutes of eating the xylitol. Untreated, hypoglycemia can quickly be life-threatening.
Symptoms of xylitol poisoning in dogs include vomiting, followed by symptoms associated with the sudden lowering of a dog's blood sugar, such as decreased activity, weakness, staggering, collapse and seizures.

I think that this is a serious alert well worth considering if you are at all inclined to share such foods with your pets.
I would hope that people will not just glibly pass it off as 'impossible for MY pet to have such a problem' unless you really MAKE it impossible.

Pets provide a treasured and life enhancing boost in our joys and our general health. imho, they deserve our best protection of their health.

edit on 14/5/2016 by BO XIAN because: added

posted on May, 14 2016 @ 10:46 PM
link   
I'm not so sure that some of these food additives that can kill animals are very good for us. Maybe a small amount is safe, but they have this crap in a lot of things.

The stuff tastes kind of creepy to me so I avoid it. Maybe it is a natural chemical but when found in nature it is usually bound to fiber. When they start saying something is good for your teeth, you should wonder what it's effect on your mind is.

posted on May, 14 2016 @ 10:47 PM
link   
a reply to: BO XIAN

Glad my tax money went to that exhaustive study instead of schools or roads.

posted on May, 14 2016 @ 10:54 PM
link   
My two German Shepards eat when I eat and they eat what I eat. I don't chew gum but I kick ass. My dogs are every bit as everything you want out of a junkyard dog that live at home, they eat meat every day and guard the door and have a fetish for other people that enter the yard un-announced.

I would never feed my family something I would'nt put in my mouth and they don't have to deal with the news. Matter of fact Shatzie is looking at me funny cause I hit the enter key.

posted on May, 14 2016 @ 11:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
I'm not so sure that some of these food additives that can kill animals are very good for us. Maybe a small amount is safe, but they have this crap in a lot of things.

The stuff tastes kind of creepy to me so I avoid it. Maybe it is a natural chemical but when found in nature it is usually bound to fiber. When they start saying something is good for your teeth, you should wonder what it's effect on your mind is.

I strongly agree. I try and discourage even my diabetic friends from using such hideous stuff. Usually without success. Sigh.

It seems like TPTB come up with 100's . . . maybe even thousands of additives that they KNOW do us mostly or only harm.

Dreadful.

They will reap what they have sown. . . . eventually.

Sadly, after tons of other people have suffered unnecessarily.

Certainly our pets need not suffer premature deaths from such stuff, either.

posted on May, 15 2016 @ 02:50 AM
link   
I don't trust it. Tried in my coffee for a while, made my kidney hurt. When it came out in gum, my dog ate a pack or two from the consol of my car, but luckily had no ill effect.

posted on May, 15 2016 @ 07:01 AM
link   
I first heard of this about a year ago and shared it with my son who has two dogs that mean the world to him. It seems that xylitol can also sometimes be found in PEANUT BUTTER and this is a favorite treat for dogs. Best to read labels and keep your furry friend healthy.

posted on May, 15 2016 @ 07:51 AM
link   
The publishing company I work for has a vet e-card business, and I do some editing/proofing work for them. Xylitol is one of those things you should never, ever let a cat or dog have. It's a regular feature in their releases.

As far as whether or not we should eat it?

Well consider also that chocolate is bad for our pets, but it is good for us. I won't go so far as to say that xylitol is good for us, but it is possible for pets to be incapable of metabolizing something that we can. I think onions are another one pets shouldn't get ahold of.

posted on May, 15 2016 @ 08:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
The publishing company I work for has a vet e-card business, and I do some editing/proofing work for them. Xylitol is one of those things you should never, ever let a cat or dog have. It's a regular feature in their releases.

As far as whether or not we should eat it?

Well consider also that chocolate is bad for our pets, but it is good for us. I won't go so far as to say that xylitol is good for us, but it is possible for pets to be incapable of metabolizing something that we can. I think onions are another one pets shouldn't get ahold of.

Yep! you don't give left over ramen with onions in it to your dogs.

posted on May, 15 2016 @ 08:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: AccessDenied
I first heard of this about a year ago and shared it with my son who has two dogs that mean the world to him. It seems that xylitol can also sometimes be found in PEANUT BUTTER and this is a favorite treat for dogs. Best to read labels and keep your furry friend healthy.

Wow. I didn't realize that. Dad used to feed peanut butter on bread to both blue healers. Glad they are OK!.

Thanks.

posted on May, 15 2016 @ 08:40 AM
link   
a reply to: musicismagic

And don't allow dogs to chew on grape vines.

We may have lost a super wonderful dog to that. He was obsessive about chewing on sticks.

posted on May, 15 2016 @ 09:20 AM
link   
Xylitol and Ice Breakers. Whatever is in them is not good for me. I never get headaches ... unless I've messed around with that kind of stuff.

posted on May, 15 2016 @ 05:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Snarl

Such things have never done well in my body, either.

Thanks for your kind reply.

top topics

join